The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old January 22, 2008, 10:40 PM   #1
Shadi Khalil

NY Handgun Permit

Hello all,

My childhood friend lives in NYC, Flatbush Ave. in BK to be exact. Its seedy to say the least and she is not thrilled with her neighbors. She is single, little and dosent have a car so most of her travel is done via the hoof. So, we were talking today via google chat, and she mentioned how on her next visit up she would like to pick up a handgun. She said she wanted to do it here so I could go with her and help her pick somehting out. Problem is, I dont think it will be that easy. According to what I read, NY state law requires city residents to apply for a permit to own a handgun (:barf::barf::barf So, if one of the powdered wiggs should so happen to deem her fit to defend herself, could she buy her gun in VA and take it back to NYC? I imagine they have some sort standered firmarms have to meet like Mass. and CA unfortunetly do......Basically I'm trying to avoid drivng up to NYC, I hate it there. It smells like pee, everywhere, even in Manhattan. There, I said it. Anybody ever had to deal with this BS?
Old January 22, 2008, 11:13 PM   #2
rwilson452

Yes she needs permission from the city to have a gun. She cannot take possession of it in VA it must be shipped to an FFL in her home state. I'm sure there are more hoops to jump in NYC but I don't know them. Last I heard getting permission to have a pistol in your house in NYC was rather difficult. to actually carry it requires that you be connected to the power structure.
Old January 22, 2008, 11:30 PM   #3
MyGunsJammed

Nope, dont do it, tell her its not worth it if she gets caught. and what if she gets caught with an illegal handgun? it'll be an automatic 3 years in jail!!!

and if she happens to use the gun for self defense, provided that she can shoot straight, she'll still be in hot water anyway. Here, you really dont have a right to defend yourself....

I admit living in anti-gun NYC sucks..... the people who we vote to be in office are pansies....

My advice would be for her to apply for the NYC residence/target pistol permit, wait the 4-8 months for approval, then she can get her gun and keep it at home, for self protection at home. Let me remind you that a personal interview with an officer at 1 police plaza (NYPD headquarters) is required at the 3-4 month mark during the application process. During this interview you will be asked questions about why do you want to own a gun, how often do you go shooting etc etc.... the cop wants to talk with you to get an idea of the kind of person you are. After that point if the cop decides that you sound normal and responsible, you will then be able to get your license.

In additon, licensed NYC residents are restricted to making 1 handgun purchase per month, and each time you purchase a pistol, you must bring it back to police headquarters for the gun to be registered and inspected.....

read this for more info, trust me its worth the read on the NYC pistol permit application process:

http://yarchive.net/gun/politics/nycgun.html

Last edited by MyGunsJammed; January 23, 2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old January 23, 2008, 11:59 AM   #4
Yellowfin

Reason enough why I will never live there. What kind of bastardized distortion of ideas can people possibly have there to allow this kind of garbage and still call themselves American?
Old January 23, 2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Shadi Khalil

i'd live on the sun if you paid me enough.
Old January 23, 2008, 04:38 PM   #6
nobody_special

Quote:
Originally Posted by teifmen1948
My childhood friend lives in NYC
Note the fine print on the NY pistol permit application:

Quote:
NO LICENSE ISSUED AS A RESULT OF THIS APPLICATION IS VALID IN THE CITY OF NEW YORK
My suggestion is that you advise your friend to move to a safer location.
Old January 23, 2008, 05:27 PM   #7
Musketeer

NYC has its own laws above and beyond the rest of NY State. Even a Ruger 10/22 is ILLEGAL there. Do not buy her a gun and give it to her. If she wants one she can go through the hassle of getting a permit for one in her home but a carry permit is near impossible for "normal" people. Howard Stern, Donald Trump, Ron Lauder and those who are connected or rich can get one but odds are she never will.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old January 23, 2008, 05:47 PM   #8
Shadi Khalil

Wow, I knew it was bad but i had no idea. What a hassel. I cant understand how someone could deny a women her right to defend herself. Looks like shes gonna have to go with plan b, a big dog. Does NYC have laws the require licencing big dogs?

Whatta [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] hole that place is.

Thanks for the info fella's.
Old January 23, 2008, 09:29 PM   #9
sw_florida

Let's not get carried away here. Don't blame the NYC politicians for the situation. It's the people of NYC who want this kind of politicians. The people of NYC repeatedly vote on them, even though they have many other choices. Don't forget that.
Old January 23, 2008, 11:13 PM   #10
MyGunsJammed

Yeah, and I cant wait to get outta here.... once my debts are paid off in full,

Texas here I come baby!!!!

Old January 23, 2008, 11:38 PM   #11
Shadi Khalil

sorry. thaty was kinda mean. I've never been to the NYC and not had a great time. But I stand by my pee smell comment
Old January 24, 2008, 10:59 PM   #12
Jets2007

At MOST, your friend will only be able to get a permit for her house. She would be able to transport her handgun to and from a shooting range and it would have to be unloaded and locked in a case. A premise permit in NYC is only valid in NYC- it is NOT valid upstate. I believe the only exception to it being valid upstate is if you are hunting- I am not 100% sure on that though.

You mentioned that she lived by Flatbush... .. I have had the misfortune of driving the entire length of that Avenue a few times. Parts of that Avenue look like a warzone!

I've said this before on here. The easiest path to a NYC carry permit is to take the NYPD or NYC Corrections test!

I know this is easier said than done... but just move.. even if it's upstate. Is is pretty easy to get a carry permit up there.
Old January 24, 2008, 11:03 PM   #13
MyGunsJammed

^^ correction.....

With a NYC residence/Target permit, it will be valid thruout the entire state of NY.

NY (non-nyc) residence/target/carry permits are not honored in NYC....

sucks huh?

and yes the easiest way to a unrestricted carry permit in NYC is to become an NYPD officer... that is if you get hired...
Old January 24, 2008, 11:13 PM   #14
Jets2007

With a NYC residence/Target permit, it will be valid thruout the entire state of NY.

WRONG!!!!! A NYC carry permit is valid statewide. As a retired cop, my grandfather has a NYC carry permit and carries statewide often.

A premise permit in NYC is valid ONLY in NYC. It is only valid upstate under a few circumstances (hunting is one of them).
Old January 24, 2008, 11:35 PM   #15
MyGunsJammed

I agree with you that a NYC carry permit is valid statewide.....I'm not disagreeing with you here......

But I stand by my position that out of NYC, NYS permits are not honored in NYC....
Old January 25, 2008, 12:19 AM   #16
Jets2007

a NYC carry permit is valid statewide

Correct

NYS permits are not honored in NYC

Correct again.

I don;t have the energy or the determination the go throuth the NYC Admin. Code and the NYPD Pistol Permit rules right now.. Maybe tomorrow I will sift through them and find the section that covers the topic that we were discussing. The NRA gun law page did not really touch on this area.
Old January 25, 2008, 01:11 AM   #17
ShootemDown

Quote:
NYC residents are restricted to making 1 handgun purchase per month, and ..
I think that is 90 days.
Old January 25, 2008, 01:13 AM   #18
ShootemDown

well, a PREMISE permit is good for the place (premise).

if it is a NYC Premise permit, then the Premise is in NYC and therefore wont concern NYS.

I understand, it is ok to bring the gun locked in box with ammo seperate of shooting ranges and the such, and I have been upstate to shooting ranges with my premise permit and they never said anything.
Old January 25, 2008, 11:48 PM   #19
MyGunsJammed

Jets2007,

Thanks for backing me up on this one, as a NYC resident I read up on the stupid rules NYC has.
Old January 26, 2008, 01:47 AM   #20
Jets2007

§ 5-23 Types of Handgun Licenses. (a) Premises License -- Residence or Business. This
is a restricted handgun license, issued for the protection of a business or residence
premises.
(1) The handguns listed on this license may not be removed from the
address specified on the license except as otherwise provided in this chapter.
(2) The possession of the handgun for protection is restricted to the inside
of the premises which address is specified on the license.
(3) To maintain proficiency in the use of the handgun, the licensee may
transport her/his handgun(s) directly to and from an authorized small arms range/shooting
club, unloaded, in a locked container, the ammunition to be carried separately.
(4) A licensee may transport her/his handgun(s) directly to and from an
authorized area designated by the New York State Fish and Wildlife Law and in compliance with all pertinent hunting regulations, unloaded, in a locked container, the ammunition to be carried separately, after the licensee has requested and received a "Police Department -- City of New York Hunting Authorization" Amendment attached to her/his license.

As far as I know, the only 'authorized' shooting ranged by NYPD are in NYC. The only time you may take the gun outside of the city is if you get a hunting approval from the NYPD during hunting season.

Talk about big brother breathing down your neck... ehh? I'm glad I don't live in NYC. I will be working there an as LEO in a few months-- but not for the NYPD though.
Old January 27, 2008, 08:14 PM   #21
jkkimberfan

NYC is solid leftist/Communist type AKA: Bloomberg

NYC residents vote in these anti gun, anti freedom Communist types, which is why it is such a sesspool. NYC leaders are just a reflection of the residents which live in this great sesspool.
Old January 27, 2008, 09:50 PM   #22
Jets2007

Jk, Bloomberg is the exact opposite of a communist. The man is a capitalist to the highest degree. He built his media business from the ground up and made billions of dollars in the process.

Is he a true blue NYC liberal? Abso-freakin-lutly, 100%.

Is he a 'communist'? No, hes just one of the more outspoken ego's of the american left.

The term communist gets thrown around too much by neo-con's on internet forums... ignorance is bliss, I guess. Before using that term, one should know how to use it correctly.

I am NOT defending the man at all. He is a POS as far as I am concerned.
Old January 28, 2008, 12:05 AM   #23
ShootemDown

Quote:
As far as I know, the only 'authorized' shooting ranged by NYPD are in NYC. The only time you may take the gun outside of the city is if you get a hunting approval from the NYPD during hunting season.
by "authorized," I think they mean any De-facto shooting range. You know, with the range officers, ventilation systems, target holders, NRA affiliated, and yada yada... Not the back yard hay bail "shooting range" at bubba's house.

I was at 1 Police Plaza having a gun inspected a few weeks ago, and asked for a list of shooting ranges, they said they dont have a list.....

but if you think about it , NYPD dont have jurisdiciton outside NYC, therefore their authorization must be in NYC alone, but there are ranges outside NYC I know of to advertise "NYC Approved" such as http://www.lisc.net/p332.htm at long island or this one at yonkers NY which says :

(1) If you hold a "target" pistol license issued by the NY City Police Department (NYPD), membership at the Coyne Park Range will satisfy NYPD's requirement that you be a member of a NYPD approved range.

http://www.coyneparkrange.net/general.php
Old January 28, 2008, 08:44 PM   #24
Jets2007

ShootemDown, thanks for the info. So, it looks you can take the gun out of the city when traveling to those ranges or going hunting.

The laws in NYC are so convoluted with BS.
Old January 28, 2008, 09:53 PM   #25
Wuchak

This all started back in 1911 with the Sullivan Act. It was the Tammany Hall, Boss Tweed crowd. They didn't want the immigrants that they were shaking down to be able to defend themselves.

Link to a good overview of it: http://www.gunlawnews.org/sullivan.html

Quote from above

January 27, 1905 New York Times Editorial -

[The proposed gun control] measure would prove corrective and salutary in a city filled with immigrants and evil communications, floating from the shores of Italy and Austria-Hungary. New York police reports frequently testify to the fact that the Italian and other south Continental gentry here are acquainted with the pocket pistol, and while drunk or merrymaking will use it quite as handily as the stiletto, and with more deadly effect. It is hoped that this treacherous and distinctly outlandish mode of settling disputes may not spread to corrupt the native good manners of the community.

For more information on the racist origins of gun control in general, check out "NEVER INTENDED TO BE APPLIED TO THE WHITE POPULATION": FIREARMS REGULATION AND RACIAL DISPARITY--THE REDEEMED SOUTH'S LEGACY TO A NATIONAL JURISPRUDENCE?