The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 21, 2007, 09:38 PM   #1
grizbear

Sabots in traditional muzzleloaders

Wondering if anyone has had any good results using sabots in traditional muzzleloaders. I have a 1:48 barrel and was thinking about trying some. Just looking for peoples experiences.
Old December 21, 2007, 10:44 PM   #2
Pahoo

Not sure what you want to shoot but if you are talking about a 50/45 or 50/44, then by all means, go for it as it should not be a problem. Your 1:48 shoudl be just fine. I even shoot conicals and the twist is fine on these as well. As a previous posting stated, range time is in order. Be Safe !!
Old December 22, 2007, 12:11 AM   #3
Hawg

A friend gave me some years ago and I tried a few of them in a .50 with 1:48 twist. They keyholed at 50 yds. YMMV. Pure lead conicals, minies and round balls all work very well with 1:48.
Old December 22, 2007, 02:02 PM   #4
arcticap

Quote:
This TC Break-O-Way sabot and 240 grain lead HP shot very accurately out of a nickeled 1 in 48" twist Traditions Deerhunter using 85 grains of Pyrodex P. It shot to the same POI as a patched round ball so no resighting in was necesary.

Other similarly sized sabot/bullet combinations should provide decent accuracy in a 1 in 48" twist barrel if your state allows them for hunting. I'm thinking about the .45 caliber Maxi Hunters of a similar weight which I've also used before.
Being .45 caliber bullets, they are slightly longer and have a better sectional density which deliver more penetration than .50 caliber bullets of the same weight. I wouldn't want to use saboted .45 bullets that are much longer or heavier than these in a 1 in 48" twist, or it might be better to just stick with .50 caliber conicals.
But they do provide a very accurate and consistent 1st shot out of a cold, clean barrel. And one can always reload using an easier loading PRB or conical for a follow up shot in the field while hunting.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...66&postcount=3
Old December 24, 2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Wild Bill Bucks

1 in 48 will handle sabots very nicely. Your rifle will like a particular sabot better than others. The bullet you want to use, will have a lot to do with the sabot you want to shoot. Decide what bullet you want to shoot, then call MMP sabots and ask them what sabot they recommend. Since the bullet never engages the rifling of your barrel, it doesn't make much difference what bullet you want to shoot, but the sabot will make ALL the difference.

I tried several sabots, before I found the right one for my rifle, so don't expect same hole shots, right off the bat. The people at MMP make a lot of sabots, and will give you a good place to start without spending a fortune.
As pahoo says, the rest is just range time.