The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 19, 2007, 09:18 PM   #1
Join Date: December 16, 2007
Posts: 84
will some one please tell me....

will some one please tell me what nfa rules are? every time I ask some one thay dance around the question like Im not aloud to know lol and whats involved in getting a 14" barrel for my ar?
deathshead is offline  
Old December 19, 2007, 10:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: January 23, 2001
Location: People's Republic of Kanada
Posts: 1,652
A rifle with a buttstock and a 14" barrel is considered a Short Barrelled Rifle (SBR) under the NFA, and if you do a search for "SBR" in this forum, you'll find everything you need. Basically, you have to live in a state that ALLOWS SBRs, you have to pay the tax ($200) to have one transferred to you, you have to have the local chief LEO sign off on it, and you have to submit your application to the ATF.
Gun control in Canada: making the streets safer for rapists, muggers, and other violent criminals since 1936.
SDC is offline  
Old December 19, 2007, 11:25 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: October 9, 2004
Posts: 1,519
It would help to know what state you're in; NFA weapons like SBRs are legal under federal law (although heavily regulated), but some states have state laws that prohibit them.

In a nutshell...

(and assuming you live in a state that doesn't prohibit SBRs) you'll need to complete a BATFE Form 1 in duplicate, a US citizenship certification, and two FBI fingerprint cards (fingerprinting to be done by a law enforcement agency). You'll then need to send those documents to the NFA Branch of BATFE, along with a check for the $200 transfer/registration tax. In about 4-6 weeks you'll receive one copy of the form 1's back in the mail,approved and with the stamp affixed. Once you receive that paperwork (and not before), you can then buy and install the short barrel on your rifle.

Here's the usual problem - the form 1 requires you to get the sheriff or CLEO (Cheif Law Enforcement Officer) with jurisdiction over the place where you reside to approve the form. That does not mean your friend who is an average cop on the street or any regular Joe with a badge. It means the sheriff, the chief of police, or the DA (there are some other acceptable persons listed on the forms). They can sign the form or they can deny you - for any reason, or for no reason at all. If they deny you, there are ways around it (form a corporation or a trust), but it gets a little more complicated and slightly more expensive.

Forms can be found at but you'll need to get fingerprint cards from BATFE or a local NFA dealer.
shaggy is offline  
Old January 12, 2008, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: June 24, 2004
Location: Ukraine, Europe
Posts: 120
Many answers, here

Edmond is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2016 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.04735 seconds with 7 queries