The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 5, 2008, 11:50 PM   #1
kru

barrel lengths

I am going to be purchasing my first CB revolver. I going with the 1858 Remmington from Cabelas, but I can't decide on the 5 1/2 inch barrel or the 8 inch one. It will be used for target and maybe cowboy action shooting. Any opinions on what would be best for my purposes?
Old January 6, 2008, 12:00 AM   #2
mykeal

The difference between 5 1/2 and 8 barrels has little effect on accuracy in a revolver, except for the longer sight distance. If your eyes are good enough, and your hand steady enough, it can matter.

Oh, and the longer barrel is a little bit heavier, which some (very few) folks feel helps perceived recoil and thus accuracy.
Old January 6, 2008, 05:21 AM   #3
Hawg

I like the eight but it's whatever floats your boat. If you like short barrels in modern guns go with the 5 1/2.
Old January 6, 2008, 05:22 AM   #4
FL-Flinter

I agree with mykeal, the longer barrel will give you more sight radius but won't have any affect on actual accuracy, it only helps the user interface. You'll probably do better with the longer barrel for slow-fire and long range shooting but for CAS the shorter barrel will cut the weight and give you a much faster responce time.
Old January 6, 2008, 12:36 PM   #5
Pahoo

In these models, I have a .36 in 6-1/2 and that .44 you are looking at, in 5-1/2". I Personally like the way the 5-1/2" handles and looks not to mention that it shoots great. Fits in my bandolier holster just fine. I don't think you can go wrong with either length and if you need to advantage of the sight radius, then go for it.
Old January 7, 2008, 03:15 PM   #6
grymster2007

My 5 1/2" is pretty sweet!

Take a look!
Gyrmster's 44
Old January 7, 2008, 06:07 PM   #7
dalegribble

I have the long barreled 1851 and 1858 and I am surprised at how well balanced they are. They look like the civil war revolvers they are supposed to be and I like that too. I am glad I choose the long barreled guns to start with and having said that I would like to add the shorter models too. I for don't know how well they handle but I'm sure they are fine. It does surprise me that you pay more money for the shorter versions less gun.
Old January 7, 2008, 08:16 PM   #8
grymster2007

Quote:
It does surprise me that you pay more money for the shorter versions less gun
Have to pay Guido 20 bucks to hacksaw that 2 1/2" off then remount the front sight.

Easy now, I have some Italian blood too!