The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 15, 2007, 01:06 PM   #1
kerank

S&W model 60LS "LadySmith" questions...

Anybody have any opinions on the Model 60? How about the 60LS? Any guys carry this gun?

I really like it, and I'm not a girl! How do they compare to other models? I realize it's all stainless steel and heavier than the 442 or other models, but does 5oz. make a difference? Seems the extra weight would make it a little more shootable, but can it still be carried in the pocket?

Thanks,
Old December 15, 2007, 02:05 PM   #2
JollyRoger

I've got several old model J frames including an older Model 60 (.38 Special only) 2 inch, and my former partner still carries a 3 inch LadySmith on duty, unless he's going out to do an arrest. Both of these are great carry guns, but the 3 inch J frames are much easier to shoot, because of the longer sight radius and the reduced recoil you get with more barrel hanging out there. You can't go wrong with either.

A lot of posters seem to like the lightweight J frames, but I never found the weight of a steel framed model to be a problem. Even with the steel frame bringing the weight up to about 19 ounces, the 2 inch models will beat you up a little bit after 50-100 rounds, even with wadcutter. I can count on a blistered trigger finger after much shooting. I have a 3-inch Model 36 and have fired my partner's 3-inch LadySmith, and I could shoot either of those all day, no problem.
Old December 15, 2007, 03:49 PM   #3
gvf

I think somewhere in between absolute easy of carry and absolute comfort in shooting, a good, small steel-framed gun is a nice compromise. For me it's a 21 oz (unloaded) Colt Detective, and the LS may be for you. Then again, the added weight is easier for me since I ccw for limited period of time.

If you do all day, try it out with a good belt and appropriate holster for your dress. They can be a big help in nullifying the added weight of a steel frame, while allowing a comfortable shooting experience to be available. I believe the LS has a very good reputation, though I've never shot one.
Old December 15, 2007, 04:12 PM   #4
Tom2

I would think the all steel gun in a pocket would cause sag in anything but pants, and then they make pocket holsters for jeans etc. that might be a good thing to have to keep it firmly in one place, not shifting around and picking up pocket lint. Or wearing out the pocket.
Old December 16, 2007, 12:01 AM   #5
KyJim

I bought a 60 (not a LadySmith) with a three inch barrel a while back. It has good balance, good sight radius and you can fire .357s without pain. On mine, the trigger is still a bit rough, especially on the let off. It will probably smooth out as I get a chance to shoot it more but I'm thinking of going ahead and getting an action job on it.

Also, don't worry if it has the LadySmith name on it. I carry the semi-auto LadySmith in 9mm and love it. If you have to use it, nobody's going to be looking at the name on the side of the handgun.
Old December 16, 2007, 08:08 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Just a thought, but how many more of these guns would S&W sell if it weren't for the name "Lady Smith" on the gun? I know its just an engraving and a name, but I'm sure there are men who wouldn't own one for that reason.
Old December 16, 2007, 08:37 AM   #7
tlm225

I have a 642 and a 3" model 60 "Ladysmith". I couldn't pass on the 3" when I saw it on the shelf. It's become my favorite fishing and "woodsbummin" gun. I'm able to shoot it much better than my 642.
Old December 16, 2007, 08:14 PM   #8
dispatcher

Love my Lady Smith. If it comes down to it- the BG won't know it's a ladie's gun.
Old December 16, 2007, 08:38 PM   #9
Socrates

Plus one on the 3" barrels in 357. Seems to REALLY make a big difference from the snubs.
Model 60 is the same as the lady smith, isn't it?
Old December 16, 2007, 09:36 PM   #10
KyJim

Quote:
Model 60 is the same as the lady smith, isn't it?
Smith currently makes a LadySmith version of both the Model 60 and the Model 36.

Quote:
how many more of these guns would S&W sell if it weren't for the name "Lady Smith" on the gun?
SW began marketing LadySmith versions of handguns with the obvious intent to capture some of the female market (duh). Sometimes, the guys have liked the different LadySmiths, however. I know that with the semi-auto 9mm, the 3913 was originally black/gray and a bit blocky looking. When they made the 3913 LS version, they made it all gray and gave it a less blocky profile. Guys liked it so much they came out with the 3913 NL version which was exactly the same as the 3913 LS without the name on it. Most call the NL the Non LadySmith, but it actually stands for something different (can't remember what).
Old December 19, 2007, 01:55 AM   #11
glockopop

Don't forget the 65LS. It's the only S&W that's a 3-inch .357 K-frame with fixed sights and a shrouded ejector rod.