The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 13, 2007, 01:33 PM   #1
Jmaxx

Single action for self defense???

Would a man be absolutely crazy to get a single action revolver mainly for self defense??? Not a carry weapon, but a sit in the nightstand gun???
Old December 13, 2007, 01:42 PM   #2
TexasSeaRay

What's crazier--having a single-action for defense or having no weapon at all?

My father-in-law, ex-WWII Marine, kept a Ruger Blackhawk loaded with .357 at his cabin up in northern Maine. I strapped that gun on more than once when the wife and I would go hiking in the woods. The single-action aspect never bothered me.

The key is to always know your weapon and remain proficient and confident.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old December 13, 2007, 01:42 PM   #3
The Tourist

Why not? The Border Patrol carried them for many of our more "modern" years. I would be surprised if someone answers your thread with the news that he still carries one on duty.

Right now I looking for a .45 Colt Ruger Bisley Vaquero in stainless.

I would not hesitate to put it on the nightstand.
Old December 13, 2007, 01:47 PM   #4
AJD21

Here's a good article by well known sixgun auther John Taffin called: Single-Action Sixguns For Self-Defense

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...24/ai_64565409
Old December 13, 2007, 01:49 PM   #5
OSUCowboy

For home defense or defense in the woods or other rugged wilderness conditions, I would say that there aren't many guns that can beat a single action's power and reliability (assuming it's chambered in .45 colt, .357/.44 magnum, etc.). I wouldn't carry them for personal protection walking around town, for the simple reason that they're usually too big to conceal and they don't have the magazine capacity I like (especially because some still have to be carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber). However, somebody who has practiced enough can get them into action very quickly, and fire just as fast as a double-action revolver.

"I'd rather have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun"
-Frank "Pistol Pete" Eaton
Old December 13, 2007, 01:52 PM   #6
Wildalaska

I need a 3" Ivory Nickel Birdshead Colt SAA with fire blued screws and a black powder frame for my everyday carry gun.

I need that.

WildalthoiwouldnevershootitAlaska TM
Old December 13, 2007, 01:54 PM   #7
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildalaska
3" Ivory Nickel Birdshead Colt SAA with fire blued screws
Do you have a pic? I'd like to see that.
Old December 13, 2007, 01:58 PM   #8
darko

For self defense on the streets I'd have to say no way. For the house, absolutely. I have been keeping my Beretta Stampede loaded as my house gun. For one handed point and shoot within the confines of a residence it should do well at hitting it's mark. I also like the heavy 45colt round for it's knock down. As you can see in my signature line I have various models to choose from but have elected to use the SA for its simplicity and natural pointablility. Firing it at the range at 15 yards, simply pointing and shooting without use of sights proved to be within the kill zone on most shots. That's good enough for me.

28:06:42:12
Old December 13, 2007, 02:12 PM   #9
CraigC

I carry one all the time. A custom Ruger flat-top .44Spl by Jim Stroh, carried in a Mernickle PS6.

Old December 13, 2007, 02:42 PM   #10
Elephant_Man
Registration in progress

I have a Ruger Blackhawk in my room for self defense
Old December 13, 2007, 02:54 PM   #11
Charles S

Craig,

That is a great looking gun.

I am not personally comfortable with the manual of arms of a single action in a self defense situation.

However if an individual is willing to practice to get comfortable I see no reason it cannot be utilized effectively in a self defense situation.
Old December 13, 2007, 03:15 PM   #12
3-fitty-7

i keep my loaded ruger nm flattop in the bedroom while my unloaded colt 1911 and colt AR15 sit in the basement locked in cases. the AR used to sit next to my bed but i put a scope on it recently which wouldn't be very practical in the dark unless i put a flashlight on it and the .45 always has the possibility of jamming, plus if i miss w/ .357 the flame that comes out will most likely be enough to scare someone off. i would prefer a shotgun especially for the pump sound (very effective in the silence of the night) maybe for x-mas i'll treat myself.
Old December 13, 2007, 04:04 PM   #13
Majic

In the hands of one who really knows how to use one the SA is good for any kind of protection be it home, street, or anywhere.
Old December 13, 2007, 04:21 PM   #14
YukonKid

If you can hit something...

If you can hit something with it then go for it. At our police training center here one of the men behind the armory counter carries a ruger single action. He looks far more cabable with it then any of the new cops do with their glocks. I would say if your confertable with it and you can shoot well then there is no reason why not.

YukonKid

as far as carrying i dont believe they make a kydex holster for SAA's
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old December 14, 2007, 12:21 AM   #15
Mosin44az

While it's better than nothing, given any choice, why choose an SA revolver for defense?

There is no advantage. There are at least a couple of significant disadvantages, handling and firepower among them.

Maybe you wouldn't be absolutely crazy, but you would be heading in that direction. Certainly irrational.
Old December 14, 2007, 12:53 AM   #16
CraigC

Quote:
While it's better than nothing, given any choice, why choose an SA revolver for defense?

There is no advantage. There are at least a couple of significant disadvantages, handling and firepower among them.

Maybe you wouldn't be absolutely crazy, but you would be heading in that direction. Certainly irrational.
What makes more sense, carrying the type of handgun you pack and shoot every day, or one that you shoot only occasionally because they simply do not interest you? I'd rather carry what I'm more familiar, comfortable and proficient with, than to satisfy some 'perceived' need of others to have 15rds, a 20lb trigger and night sights. Familiarity, confidence and proficiency are all very distinct advantages. Crazy or irrational, not hardly.
Old December 14, 2007, 12:59 AM   #17
JohnKSa
Staff

An SA revolver is a suitable defense gun, especially in the hands of someone who is familiar and skilled with it.

If you're ALREADY familiar and comfortable with the platform, that's one thing, but if you're not an SA revolver shooter and you're just looking around for something that will serve the purpose of a nightstand gun, you can make better choices.
Old December 14, 2007, 01:24 AM   #18
Socrates

Ross Seyfried got off 5 shots in under 2 seconds, using a modified Seville, to kill a charging cape buffalo he pissed off.

On top of that, the gun had to be aligned on each shot, by hand(finger), as the buffalo charged.

Been shooting a similar gun since 1980. Given the fantastic trigger, tremendous firepower, pretty hard to beat. In particular if you have two...

One thing that everyone says is if you know you are going to a rifle fight, bring a rifle. If you can't, SA heavy guns come closest to rifle effect. Better to have two, rather then one...
Old December 14, 2007, 01:55 AM   #19
SAWBONES

There's a lot of blather posted about this topic.

If you can cock and accurately shoot a single action revolver nearly as quickly as, say, Elmer Keith or John Wesley Hardin, or if you're willing to put in the practice to learn to do so, then sure, consider yourself well armed with a SA.

If you're like most of us, though, and you need a gun for sudden unforseen defense of self and loved ones, you're not going to find the circumstances conducive to reliably and quickly thumb-cocking that gun, and will likely be better served by a traditional DA revolver (or DAO semiauto) which will allow a simpler "point & pull" means of actuation.
Old December 14, 2007, 02:19 AM   #20
CraigC

Quote:
If you're ALREADY familiar and comfortable with the platform, that's one thing, but if you're not an SA revolver shooter and you're just looking around for something that will serve the purpose of a nightstand gun, you can make better choices.
Agreed, I did not intend to imply otherwise.
Old December 14, 2007, 07:13 AM   #21
Billy Sparks

Quote:
need a 3" Ivory Nickel Birdshead Colt SAA with fire blued screws and a black powder frame for my everyday carry gun.

I need that.

WildalthoiwouldnevershootitAlaska TM
Why? Need to see where it prints with your self defense load....you need to run at least 200 rounds through it to make sure it is reliable.

BillypickingonKenSparks
Old December 14, 2007, 08:06 AM   #22
Jamie C.

Quote:
Would a man be absolutely crazy to get a single action revolver mainly for self defense?
Only if he didn't know how to use it and wasn't going to bother to learn.

But then, the same can be said of any other type of weapon.

J.C.
Old December 14, 2007, 09:13 AM   #23
shoots awe lots

You should watch some of SASS shooters and your question would be answered.
Old December 14, 2007, 09:37 AM   #24
CoRoMo

Call me crazy!

My Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .357 is sitting loaded in my nightstand right now.
I purchased it for self defense, but I don't actually carry it anymore unless I'm hiking in the back-country. I don't hike with any less than .357 anymore.
I now carry a smaller piece, Kel Tec P11 is in my jacket pocket as I type.
Old December 14, 2007, 10:02 AM   #25
BikerRN

Quote:
You should watch some of SASS shooters and your question would be answered.
I was thinking this as I read through the post.

For the first five rounds, with a "practiced" Single Action shooter, you give up nothing to a D.A. Revolver, S.A. Pistol or "Uber Pistol shooter. I have carried a Colt SAA off duty a few times, just for "grins and giggles".

Biker