The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old June 1, 2000, 04:10 PM   #26
Futo Inu

We'll see more and more of this in years to come, and it may even come to pass. The problem is the bigger the federal gov't gets relative to the state gov'ts (i.e. the more unconstitutional usurpation of power that occurs), the less and less our voice is heard as citizens (due to the ratio of people to legislators becoming so ridiculously high that the legislators are ruled by the media, not us), and therefore the more discontent the people become, as the gov't laws get out of touch with the various states' citizens' values. That's why federalism as envisioned would have worked so well IF the Supreme Dorks would not have allowed "...regulate interstate commerce" to mean "....regulate anything you feel like". The more decentralization of power there is in a national structure, the more happy/content the people are, and therefore the less unrest. Since federal control is now this unstoppable juggernaut, I suspect civil war is ultimately inevitable.
Old June 1, 2000, 08:29 PM   #27
Ledbetter

I agree with Futo Inu.

The feds now have the power because they (not the states where we live) now take the bulk of our taxes. A King George kind of a deal.
Civil war (or, more rarely, peaceful dissolution) is the inevitable end of any union of states. The only question is when.