The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 26, 2007, 04:43 PM   #1
BlueDragon

Wanna buy a Beretta M9. have questions.

Miss having a Beretta. Ive had a 92F, 92FS inox, and a 96. stupidily sold them on impulse buys/trades >_< Been craving a new one to replace the one's i lost. But this time around i want one of the berettas that are marked "M9" as i am a army nut. Question i have is....do the m9's you buy have that stupid curve to the backstrap? as the 92FS inox i had, had the curve. and i hated it. felt weird, looked weird. Where as my 92F and 96 had the straight backstrap. I was just wondering if the M9 model had the straight backstrap. also is this like an actual beretta M9? like the army has or just a 92 restamped "M9"
Old November 26, 2007, 05:42 PM   #2
IM_Lugger

You sold the 92 Inox?... I have one and it would be the last gun I'd sell

Beretta 92 is a Beretta 92, M9 or not it's the same gun, but I don't think M9 has the curve you're talking about.
Old November 26, 2007, 05:54 PM   #3
BlueDragon

I knowwww im still cursing at myself for it toooooo. :barf:
and yeah the curve is strange. what was the point of it anyways.
Old November 26, 2007, 06:18 PM   #4
Slater

All the M9's (so far) look like this:

Old November 26, 2007, 11:29 PM   #5
IM_Lugger

Quote:
and yeah the curve is strange. what was the point of it anyways.
not sure, probably to reduce the trigger reach, but it doesn't bother me...
Old November 27, 2007, 01:45 AM   #6
Sturmgewehre

All of the current M9's that are produced for civilians are Model 92's stamped M9. The markings are not identical to real military M9's.

Beretta made a run of government approved M9's with all of the correct markings many years ago but these have mostly been snatched up by collectors and bring $800+ if you can find one for sale. I have two of them and this is what they look like:

The dust covers are straight whereas the current "M9" being sold on the civilian market are tapered. The markings on the above M9's include the proof mark (PM on the slide) and the correct assembly numbers including the hammer. The guns above also have a steel guide rod whereas the current civilian M9's are plastic.

But, for all practical purposes a civilian M9 is a great gun and you would enjoy owning it. You could shoot it and not feel guilty for putting wear and tear on a collectors item. They run the same, mostly look the same and most people couldn't tell them from the real deal anyway. Plus the price is around $500 which is a good price.
Old November 27, 2007, 07:52 AM   #7
mes228

Beretta

I'm not trying to steal your thread but have a Beretta 92 question. I have an ANIB Beretta 92-S. This model has the lower grip mag release and the machined integral front sight. The question is why is this Model so expensive? From the Blue Book it books a couple hundred dollars more than most 92 models The pistol runs flawless, is accurate, but is HUGE!! This one was made in Italy and the finish etc. is quite well done. Just curious.
Old November 27, 2007, 12:36 PM   #8
Sturmgewehre

The model 92S dates back to 1977 when it was first introduced. It was a modified model 92 in that it added a slide mounted decocking safety. Over the years it evolved into the 92S-1, 92SB and ultimately the 92SB-F which was adopted as the M9.

So, your gun is old and probably somewhat desirable.
Old November 27, 2007, 05:50 PM   #9
M700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmgewehre
The dust covers are straight whereas the current "M9" being sold on the civilian market are tapered.
Not true, current M9's do indeed have a straight dust cover. I picked this one up in July. It has assembly #'s on the frame and slide, but not the hammer. I also recall a post on BerettaForum stating that any current run military M9's have the same polymer parts (guide rod, safety lever, trigger) as the civilian models.

Old November 27, 2007, 07:02 PM   #10
BlueDragon

Does anyone know if i would be able to buy the steel parts at? like the decocking lever, mag release, lanyard loop, trigger, recoil guide rod...ect?
and in stainless? the parts i mean.
Old November 27, 2007, 09:48 PM   #11
XcesiveSlyd

This is the weapon I qualified with last...

I've fired thousands of rounds through them(different M9's) and I just can't get comfortable with em'. I think my hands are to small to comfortably grasp the weapon. It's very accurate and easy to trouble shoot. The M9 can take quite the beating and fire very dirty. It's a good weapon just too bulky for me.

Last edited by XcesiveSlyd; November 27, 2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old November 27, 2007, 10:00 PM   #12
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
Not true, current M9's do indeed have a straight dust cover. I picked this one up in July. It has assembly #'s on the frame and slide, but not the hammer. I also recall a post on BerettaForum stating that any current run military M9's have the same polymer parts (guide rod, safety lever, trigger) as the civilian models.
Yes, that's clearly a civilian M9 and not a limited edition U.S. approved M9. My bad on the dust cover, I must have been smoking crack.
Old November 27, 2007, 10:11 PM   #13
Sturmgewehre

Here are the markings that are missing:

Sorry for the dark pics, the lighting is faint in the house and the flash on my camera washes everything out.
Old November 27, 2007, 10:55 PM   #14
chaad

I had heard that the guide rod on the military models was switched to plastic because it worked better in a sandy environment.

Nevermind, I am glad I have my M9. I bought it so that I could stay proficient between qualifications (my Reserve unit only sees them once a year if lucky, sometimes every 2 years) but have found out that I shoot as well with it as any handgun I own.
Old April 24, 2011, 07:49 AM   #15
Montecristo

Beretta m9

I have one , assy numbers on the slide , frame , hammer and 2 pouched magazines , since i moved at least a couple times i can't find the 3rd one that should go inside the gun , i don't recall if it came with 2 or 3 serialized mags though, could anybody tell me ???

Gun has a "m9~ 4xxx serial and came with a green bianchi belt , holster and mag pouch as well with a patch , and a military light yellow manual with all the special numbered parts ...is that a genuine m-9 or just a commercial gun ?

No U.S. Property markings though, the guy that sold it to me told he was in irak and isued m-9's didn't come with such markings either ....
Old April 24, 2011, 08:00 AM   #16
ShipWreck

Yes, the M9 has a straight dustcover and NO radiused backstrap.

Personally, I ONLY like the radiused backstrap, because I have smaller hands. I won't buy an M9 because of that...

I have 8 Beretta 92 variants but no M9

Old April 24, 2011, 11:15 AM   #17
twhidd

It amuses me how it tends to be new members who revive these old threads.
Old April 24, 2011, 11:17 AM   #18
chris in va

Agree, wish there was some sort of warning when a new member is about to raise the dead.
Old April 24, 2011, 12:57 PM   #19
ShipWreck

Hell, I didn't even notice the date. Damn...
Old April 24, 2011, 01:09 PM   #20
9mm

Quote:
All of the current M9's that are produced for civilians are Model 92's stamped M9. The markings are not identical to real military M9's.

Went to a gun show, they where selling 92fs/90 TWO yes it had a TWO on the tag/M9/92G model which was quite old and beat up.

So what is the difference in a M9/92fs? the back straps? I want a 92fs on my birthday but now I am confussed on the 92fs/m9! 92fs seems more "sexy" but now you say it has a better back grip?
Old April 24, 2011, 02:26 PM   #21
Montecristo

there was indeed a warning , but i thought i should know if my m9 was a real one and if it came with 2 or 3 mags ...

forgot , it also came with the "PM" letters on the right side of the slide
Old April 25, 2011, 03:11 AM   #22
10mm4ever

The 92 family is still my favorite combat auto ever. It has the best balance of reliability, ergos, balance and aesthetics. It is one of only a handful of pistols that I have complete faith in, right out of the box.
Old April 25, 2011, 11:42 AM   #23
dgludwig

Quote:
92fs seems more "sexy" but now you say it has a better back grip?
It (the radiused backstrap) is not so much "better" as it is different (and though the difference is slight, for some shooters the difference is meaningful). Like so many things when it comes to how a pistol handles and feels, it's an entirely personal and individual judgment.
Old April 25, 2011, 01:34 PM   #24
ShipWreck

Well, it brings a part of your hand ever so closer to the trigger. So, for people with smaller hands, it can make a difference. I like the 92 much better since this change was incorporated around 2003. I have 1990 models before, and the gun did not feel as well in my hand as it does now with that 1 simple change