The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 26, 2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Smitty in CT

Mossberg Silver Reserve firing pin "fix" S/N help PLEASE

Okay, here’s the dilemma, I want to get one of the Mossberg Silver Reserve 20GA / 28GA (20GA frame) two barreled combos….or, possibly one of the 12GA/20GA (12GA frame).

I have held them at the shop and the balance very well and feel very good, I have read and am well aware of the problems that these guns had when they first came out. I have also noticed that the number of complaints / problems have gone down quite a bit on this forum and others. From most accounts, Mossberg has “stood behind” these guns and has fixed, or replaced, all of the guns at no cost and with an 8 – 10 week turn around.

The most recent problem was with the firing pins being “brittle” and they were breaking. Supposedly, Khan, Mossberg’s manufacturer of these guns, has completely re-designed the firing pins and there is no longer a problem with them breaking.

The problem is that “nobody knows”, or more than likely won’t say, at what point the “new design” firing pins were implemented.

I thought that as a collective whole anybody that has a Mossberg Silver Reserve, please log in and post the first part of your serial number AND if you’ve had any problems. Once we get a decent # of replies, we can see if there is a “range” of serial #’s that are affected, or if they suddenly start getting “better” after a certain serial #, which could confirm a “fix”.

I have a checked with the armorer at our club, the Serial numbers on our loaner guns are:

12GA - TR12 027xxx (4) each - no problems / 1 gun had a loose” forearm, fixed "in house"
20GA - TR20 014xxx (4) each - no problems

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old October 27, 2007, 04:35 PM   #2
ebutler462

Smitty, I wish I could help you as I am interested in a 20 gauge SR. If these serial numbers indicate anything at all, it seems that they started over with them after the first run. Maybe it can be interpretated that the gauge is first followed by the consecutive number. Only guessing. I have friends in the gun business but they won't talk until the old stock has been distributed. Some distributors probably have their old stock shipped, there probably are a lot of the first run out there.

Somebody on SGW might be able to assist.
Old October 27, 2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Smitty in CT

I got an answer back on another board that on the end of the box (if you get to see the box) It has a date that the gun was packaged up....

That should help, I'm going to start looking in the spring...

Funny thing is...... with ALL of the "bad" Mossberg Silver Reserves out there...I haven't had anybody give me a serial number that had ANY problems... I'm wondering how much of it is internet hype and how much is "real"???

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old October 28, 2007, 04:16 PM   #4
ebutler462

For some reaon I agree with you. It is so easy to get rumors started, especially when there is just one bad apple in the crate.

A good example is the Stoeger M2000. I have seen a bunch of these critters prowling the woods and never saw a bad one. The first issue didn't fit good but the new edition is pretnear the perfect budget gun. It has to be tamed a mite since it still has more recoil than I can take just out of the box. Mine has been a decent gun.

I expect you have the better deal with your 930. It makes me wish that I had one. I reckon I will hold out for a SR in 20 gauge.
Old October 29, 2007, 07:03 AM   #5
jaymce

May be hype but I know that I had multiple problems with mine in the 6 months and 1200 or so rounds I shot it. Left me dead on the line a couple of times with barrels not firing. I also found the overall condition and quality of the SR to be lacking in the QC department compared to other guns in that price range +-100$.

Gun is long gone and I believe all the paper work went with it. I will check in my file and see and post if I can find it.

I also know that one of the 2 other SR owners I know of has a broken lower pin. I believe his is older as he bought his prior to my purchase. Mine was purchased about 1-1 1/2 yrs ago. Sold about a year ago.
Old July 6, 2010, 10:28 PM   #6
Eichhorn

i know these posts are old but i have a mossberg from 2007 and the bottom firing pin just fell out of the gun. i was woundering if anyone knows where to buy a good replacement?
Old July 7, 2010, 08:05 AM   #7
Smitty in CT

Contact Mossberg @ 1-800-363-3555, give them the serial number and they'll send you a set for free, this was a known problem that they've fixed and I'm sure they send out replacement pins all the time.