The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 13, 2007, 03:06 PM   #1
collector 44

22/250 ammo

what's a good load for shooting deer and max range, I shoot fallow,seaka and red deer but dont feel confortable shooting over 250 yards I use a remigton 55 Gr load:rolleyes.
Old October 14, 2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I won't get into the suitability of using a .22 centerfire for deer hunting. I freely admit to a bit of a negative attittude about that, if other choices are available.

That said, I doubt that the 55-grain bullet is really a good idea. SFAIK, any bullets below 60 or so grains are designed as varmint bullets; they're designed to "blow up" readily on small critters such as prairie dogs and woodchucks. They'll work on coyotes, of course.

Modern days' R&D and bullet technology is such that bullets of around 65 and 70 grains will work on larger animals such as deer. Thicker jackets, better penetration.

Range limits? Personally, with a relatively marginal bullet, I'd say the limit should be that at which you begin to lose the ability to make that perfect or near-perfect shot. For me, with a .243, my self-imposed limit is roughly 200 yards. That's about the limit for a neck shot from a hasty rest in the field, or a specific heart shot on a cross-body view. I won't take an angling shot with the .243 like I would with my '06.

FWIW, Art
Old October 15, 2007, 02:50 AM   #3
Scorch

I have to agree with Art, with one exception. Most bullets for the 22-250 are varminting bullets. Although they might kill a deer, they also might not. Federal loads the 60 gr Nosler Partition for the 22-250. If you feel you just have to shoot a deer with your 22-250, try the Federal Premium load with the Noslers.
Old October 15, 2007, 08:18 AM   #4
FirstFreedom

Yes, ditto on the 60 gr nosler, or the 64 gr winchester power point....

*IF* you can get these to shoot well in your rifle.

Range - the bullets will slow down fast, having poor BCs, but it should still be good to 275-300 yards or so, if you know your trajectory and can make the hit.

Better yet, use a bigger gun. For example, with a .243 win and the right bullet, having far more retained energy, I'd feel comfortable shooting to 350-375 yards or so - that is, if conditions were nearly perfect and I knew the range etc.
Old October 15, 2007, 08:33 AM   #5
mikejonestkd

IMO, for Red deer you are way past the capabilities of a .22-250 with any bullet. Those deer weigh up to 600 pounds!!! Please get an appropriate caliber for red deer.

For small deer you would do ok, but not ideal with a .22-250 with a fairly heavy 60 gr partition/ 64 gr powerpoint or 55 bonded soft point.

There are simliar threads already runing in this forum on the .22-250 for deer, please check these out at:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ght=castnblast

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ght=castnblast
Old October 15, 2007, 10:36 AM   #6
hunter33

I agree with them but i do use the 22-250 for my deer hunting with 55 gr and only takes 1 shot every time have never had any problems you just i have to know your gun and your max range
Old October 16, 2007, 04:21 PM   #7
castnblast

Bullet selection is ultra critical w/ this caliber. There are so many that have thin jackets that won't work on deer. However, go back and search my posts, there are some really graphic pics of the internal damage a 55gr Sierra Game King did to a deer last year, shot smack in the shoulder. It blew the ever living begizies out of the lungs and heart, stayed intact, and was lodged between the skin and meat on the opposite shoulder. I think Federal loads the 55gr Trophy bonded Bear claw. That is the top bullet for what you are trying to do, at least what is available by the ammo co.'s. If you reload, Use the 55 gr. Sierra Game King, BTSP. It has a thicker jacket, and is the bullet I used on the deer I shot last year. It is not designed to blow up like most 22 cal bullets. Federal loads the same bullet in a HP, and it holds together pretty much like the SP version.