The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 11, 2007, 01:12 PM   #1
bulldawg042

Mil-spec vs Loaded 1911

I'm looking to buy a 1911 within the next week and I have the money for a Mil-Spec (PB9108LP), but would almost prefer the Loaded (PX9109LP). Is the Loaded with the price difference and if so is it worth waiting a little longer to save up for the gun?
Old September 11, 2007, 01:34 PM   #2
RevolverLover

If you really want the loaded then get it. If you don't, then you will regret it afterwards

"One test = 1,000 expert opinions." -Art Eatman
Old September 11, 2007, 01:45 PM   #3
sholling

I'll second that. I tend to save a bit longer and get what I really want. In the end it saves me a ton of money because in the end I'm going to get it anyway so why pay twice.
Old September 11, 2007, 03:18 PM   #4
Jammer Six

I own two milspecs. I sold the Loaded models I owned.

Reasons:

1. Novaks. They don't add anything, and they eliminate an option for racking the slide.
2. Front serrations. Your hand doesn't belong out there.
3. Bump in the beaver tail. It will hurt your hand and increase your flinch after about 75 rounds.
4. Ambi safety. It caught on a door jamb and flicked off safe once, and after that, I could never trust it. It adds a weak spot in the center of the pin. Taking a weapon off safe with your left hand is easy.
5. Don't like long triggers.
6. Full length guide rod. You're kidding, right?

I prefer training and skill to hardware. You can't buy a hardware solution to a training problem, and in three of the six cases above, that's what the Loaded model tries to do. But then again, I'm old and treacherous.
Old September 11, 2007, 10:07 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
I'm looking to buy a 1911 within the next week and I have the money for a Mil-Spec (PB9108LP), but would almost prefer the Loaded (PX9109LP). Is the Loaded with the price difference and if so is it worth waiting a little longer to save up for the gun?
It all depends on if the features of the Loaded that isn't on the Mil-Spec is advantageous for you.
1.As much as the Beaver Tail may look appauling (I happen to like the asthetics), I ride my hand high on 1911s. The extra protection from hammer bite is a plus for me.
2. The raised portion of the Beaver Tail doesn't bother my hand at all when the range session is long. Is it necessary? I don't think so. But, it isn't intrusive in my hands.
3. Novak sights are appealing to my taste in night sights. I had no problem in Randy Cain's course. And he had us reload/rack the slides like it was going out of style...
4. I myself like the ambi safety for resting my thumb on top while shooting. However, I think there are better unobtrusive safeties out there to use if you're planning to carry concealed. My gun is primarily for range use.
5. Long triggers are great for long fingers. I have medium sized hands, and the geometry of my trigger finger to the trigger is ideal. No issues here...

Again, it all depends on what you want in your gun...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old September 11, 2007, 11:36 PM   #6
Freetacos

My situation was the other way around, I wanted a Mil-Spec but the local shop didn't have one at the time but they had a loaded model. I got the loaded model, it works fine but I'm starting to lean more toward the classic design.