The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 24, 2007, 08:20 PM   #26
Yellowfin

I'm waiting for my CCW, having filed for it a couple weeks ago. It'll be a while before I find myself competent enough with a pistol to carry, but it won't be an announced occasion that's for sure. To me there's just no telling who will blurt out what at an inopportune moment.
Old September 28, 2007, 10:07 AM   #27
Mannlicher

My wife and family know I have a permit. They also knew when I carried for many years before I had a permit.
Other than that, its none of anyone's biz.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 28, 2007, 12:22 PM   #28
Big Don

Ditto on the comments re: your talkative friend. He needs to be told, in a friendly manner, that he should not include you in his comments.
The only people who know I have my CCW and carry all of the time are very close friends and they are shooters too. (Plus all of my friends here at TFL ) I do not tell coworkers or friends outside of my shooting community as you never know when that knowledge could be turned against you, as we've seen in previous posts. That's exactly why I don't say squat!
My (adult) kids knew I got the CCW but that was years ago and I'm sure they've forgotten and/or don't care. They know I'm safe with firearms and won't have them where the grandkids can access them.
There's really no need to tell anyone you're carrying unless they're the law and they're asking. "Bragging" about it means it's not "concealed" anymore, even if the firearm can't be seen, IMO. You don't want to advertise your gun by the way you wear your clothes (printing) so why tell anyone you have it?
I always pack my pistol when I'm flying to Southern California and have to let the airlines know I have it. I use my Nevada CCW photo ID when I check in as that seems to carry some weight and "calm" the ticket agents at the same time. It's not unusual to be asked if I'm flying "LEO".