The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 4, 2007, 09:00 AM   #26
Manedwolf

Wuchak, concealing something as thick as a revolver is not so easy for slender people who tend to wear fitted clothes.

Really. If someone has a slim waist and slender build, IWB with most outfits is pretty near impossible.
Old September 4, 2007, 09:43 PM   #27
rb4browns

Wuchak I agree

That a man bag can be a problem. For the simple reason you pointed out - the bag can be taken.
Old September 4, 2007, 10:35 PM   #28
RoscoeC

Take a look at Texas law. As far as I can tell, there is no defined penalty for "being made". The gun just has to be concealed. I.e. covered. I carry a Glock 19 most of the time. I wear a Hawaiian shirt or a tee shirt over the weapon. Does it print? Yes. Has anyone ever "made" me? Not that I know of. If they did, the code simply states: (3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person. So, if you are not openly carrying, you are probably ok.

Whatever, I ain't carrying a murse.
NRA Life Member
Old September 5, 2007, 03:03 AM   #29
grey sky

Man bags

Swiss gas mask bags work well for this they are gray and don't screem military, even U.S. gas mask bags work well as they are relativly formless as long as one does not use the leg strap not so military look. My opinion of manufactured bags spcific for guns look like what they are. Granted some are better than others. The fanny packs seem to be area specific I don't see them used much around here some times the occaisional woman will wear one. Bottom line is, concealment is very personal. Always looking for something better. Sewing a good holster inside a jacket fiting a larger pocket in a favorite pair of pants altering garments and bags to suit your needs. "Store bought" concealment systems are easily idetified by those of us familiar with the products and that needs to be remembered.
Old September 5, 2007, 05:14 AM   #30
Justme

I have a small kelty backpack I carry from time to time. It also holds about a liter and half of water in a built in camelbac thingy.

My problem with bags is that I tend to put too much stuff in them. After a few days I end up with screwdrivers and knives and flashlights and tape measures and small socket sets and vice grips and crescent wrenches and diagonal pliers and a couple of reference books and needle files and a small hand drill and dental picks and latex gloves and leather gloves and a microfiber cloth to clean my glasses and a chamois to clean my windows and a few sharpies in various colors and...and then the thing weighs 50 lbs so I leave it at home.
Old September 5, 2007, 03:12 PM   #31
Mannlicher

I mostly carry in an IWB holster, with a shirt or jacket over it.

My wife carrys the purse in my family.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 5, 2007, 03:28 PM   #32
gordo_gun_guy

The problem

of carrying too much stuff is not in dispute. However, when push comes to shove I'll wear out of style cargo pants before I bring a man purse.:barf:

Quote:
and have just returned to how things were before.
Maybe the retro answer is to go back to Victorian style dress, wearing a proper frock coat or at least a vest in any weather (ladies glow, men perspire, horses sweat type quaintness). I'm thinking full size gun on the hip, BU on a watch fob in the vest pocket....

Backpacks and briefcases = manly.

"Satchel" = maybe you can pull it off and look not un-manly

Murses = not so much
Old September 9, 2007, 11:06 AM   #33
3 weelin geezer

Whats the problem with being 'made' if it isn't at a bar or somewhere they have posted that guns are not allowed? Whats the cop going to tell the complaintant? I would figger he would ask if I was handling it without reason like spinning it like a John Wayne wannabe and or threatening someone. If not, then how do you KNOW it was a gun if you didn't actually SEE it which is perfectly legal. Kinda like the one in a man's pants. As long as he doesn't actually display it, its ok to have it.
Old September 13, 2007, 01:36 PM   #34
longeyes

I have a small leather fanny pack that is capable of holding a J-frame or a Glock 26 (but not a 19).

I also have the Venturer Excursion Organizer Bag and it's a nice little bag--but it's small. Be advised you can carry a 642/442/637, without a holster, or a Beretta 21a or 950, but nothing bigger or heavier. A Glock 26 won't fit.

Man-bags: If it's got a mil-spec look it's okay...
"Ah...what trouble?" ~Jeremiah Johnson
Old September 13, 2007, 02:26 PM   #35
Justme

I would carry a girly coach purse if that is what I thought would ensure me and mine would be safe. Luckily you can put a seecamp or a keltec in your pocket. how to carry the multitool, splinter getter, flashlight, sharpie etc etc is a whole other matter.

I used to have a wife who carried an enourmous coach purse that would hold about the same amount as a toyota land cruiser. Since I no longer have a wife I have to carry all that crap on my own. This sucks, I don't like to carry 50 lbs of crap around with me all the time. I need to find a cute 35 year old who doesn't mind being a de-facto pack mule. until then I will carry the Kelty backpack or some times a briefcase. My keltec fits into my day planner pretty well, but the flashlight doesn't
Old September 13, 2007, 05:10 PM   #36
DougO83

hmm...

I dunno about the purse-type options. I just prefer to carry a smaller weapon if I know my main carry will print. I prefer to carry my FN 9mm, but it isn't always practical. So...somedays, I switch to the .32.

Matt 6:33
Old September 13, 2007, 05:13 PM   #37
DougO83

being made

Quote:
Whats the problem with being 'made' if it isn't at a bar or somewhere they have posted that guns are not allowed?
In Texas, as related by my instructor, printing means the weapon is no longer concealed. If someone can figure out what it is, you ain't hiding it very well...

Old September 13, 2007, 05:58 PM   #38
gordo_gun_guy

Quote:
In Texas, as related by my instructor, printing means the weapon is no longer concealed. If someone can figure out what it is, you ain't hiding it very well...
Well, no state has perfect gun laws.

In other jurisdictions, this is not the case. The crime of brandishing requires, well, actual brandishing I guess. Though there's a big diference between legal and smart....
Old September 14, 2007, 09:28 AM   #39
DougO83

i know...

Quote:
In other jurisdictions, this is not the case. The crime of brandishing requires, well, actual brandishing I guess. Though there's a big diference between legal and smart....
Yep...this response was specifically related to a post on here about Texas gun laws. That's the only state I could comment on anyway...

Old September 14, 2007, 01:13 PM   #40
David Armstrong

Not exactly a manpurse, but I do remember spending a couple of days carrying a small gun in a camera case attached to my belt. Worked out pretty good.
Old September 14, 2007, 04:02 PM   #41
gordo_gun_guy

Sometimes, instead of jogging with my P3 in a belly band (which really chafes my kidneys) on long runs, I'd just carry it in its factory zippered case using the little attached hand strap. Not a fast draw, but un-sticking a sweaty T-shirt to get at the belly band isn't much faster some times.
Old September 21, 2007, 10:29 PM   #42
Slideman

I've been wearing a fanny pack (stupid name for something at 1:30 on my starboard side) for decades. Glock 32, wallet, Swiss Army, cards, pen/pencil, notepad ... heck I drag so much stuff out of it that nobody guesses there is room for a .357 Glock too... not that I care a whit if they guess I'm packing. I like that I can snap it on when I'm going out and be fully loaded.

A past national bullseye champion once told me it was too slow to draw from. I said I can have it out, on target in two seconds. Where's yours?
His sheepish answer said it all: "At home in my safe.".

Yeah my IWB would be quicker, but I just haven't adapted my wardrobe to cover it.
Old September 22, 2007, 10:11 PM   #43
Lionken07

i carry something like this sometimes when i feel like bringing more firepower with me...

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/...4W&language=en

it works for some people
Old September 23, 2007, 07:48 AM   #44
rampage841512

I've found that a messenger bag tends to work well. You can keep just about anything you need in it, and in todays world where everyone seems to be carrying one already.
Old September 23, 2007, 09:05 AM   #45
rich e

For the little 642..Thats easy

Any little fannypak will work. The smaller the better..One time I found a generic fanny bag that had heavy duty zipper..My 642 fit inside perfectely..I lined the inside with blue jean material with a few tack stitches in the corners..Carried that way for two years until the plastic buckle broke..
Old September 23, 2007, 09:08 AM   #46
rich e

I also found a neat little belt pack- pouch. I was at a sporting good store looking at backpacks when I found this very small belt pouch made by Kelty ( I think )...It's perfect for a 642 or Glock 26..I still use it often..
Old September 23, 2007, 08:37 PM   #47
Scotticus

I use a Mountainsmith fanny pack

http://www.ebags.com/mountainsmith/v...?modelid=62903

IMO--Any relatively well known general bag manufacturer doesn't scream "Gun Bag" like the specialty bags might.
Old September 24, 2007, 09:41 PM   #48
blackbear

Man purse???? Why not tuck a derringer in your man bra!
Old September 24, 2007, 09:52 PM   #49
rb4browns

Quote:
Man purse???? Why not tuck a derringer in your man bra!
It's either called a "bro" or a "manssiere." Get it right will ya?
Old September 24, 2007, 10:05 PM   #50
mountainclmbr

Rather than a man purse, why not a Smart Carry and a dress as a cover garment?