The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 1, 2007, 07:54 PM   #1
PJack

What is your preferred carry (concealed) method?

Those of you who carry daily, I'd like to know how and where you carry, and do you carry an extra mag if so where etc. I've had my ccw for about 6 years, I carry every day, but I can't land on one method.

I carry at work, (which is a company offense, and I could lose my job over it. I travel between multiple branches in multiple states in a business people love to rob). So I carry my Glock 19 inside my briefcase, in a uncle mike's holster with a spare mag. I have velcor to hold it in place and I unzip the pocket where it is when I'm in the branch. I also never let it out of site.

Other times when my wife and I go out to dinner etc. I carry my Glock (in the same holster + spare mag) in the small of my back.

But my wife says it's wearing out my shirts! and wants me to carry differently.

I also have a "smart carry" jock holster, but sitting and driving with it is not comfortable for my 250 lb frame.

So I'm looking for the best carry method if there is one. What do you guys do?

Thanks!
Old September 1, 2007, 08:08 PM   #2
orionengnr

I cannot carry a double stack "anything" because I cannot conceal it to my satisfaction.

I pocket carry a Kahr PM9 nine months of the year, and a Kahr P45 in the same manner during what we laughingly call "Winter".

I have a Milt Sparks VMII for my 3" 1911, but am still working on carrying it comfortably and concealing it effectively.

The P45 weighs 18 oz vice the alloy 1911's 24 oz.

The PM9 weighs 14 oz, is smaller than a j-frame, and carries two more rounds (plus reloads quicker).

I usually carry one spare mag, regardless of which pistol I carry.
Old September 1, 2007, 08:18 PM   #3
tshadow6

concealed carry

I conceal my Glock 19 with a Fobus paddle holster and loose shirt. My Bersa .380 resides in my pocket.
Old September 1, 2007, 08:28 PM   #4
4095fanatic

Pocket carry or C-TAC IWB. I'd pocket carry in your case; I'm assuming your pants have deep enough pockets it wouldn't show. I tend to caution people against SOB carry; if you fall on your back, it's the equiv. on a 1-2 pound anvil on your spine.
Old September 1, 2007, 08:40 PM   #5
Night Watch
Registration in progress

Part of your problem is that - in an extraordinary effort to keep your piece concealed - you are bouncing around between different carry methods. As you are aware, the case is risky; and, no professional gunman I know - not one - carries SOB. (I won't get into, 'Why'.)

The right place for any sidearm is on your person. Ideally it should be carried on your strong side, and at your belt. For whatever it's worth I, also, carry a BUG in my support side front pocket. Yes, I do carry an extra magazine; it's opposite the gun and, also, on my belt. All of this is underneath some sort of cover garment that doesn't telegraph I'm carrying.

If you want a holster recommendation, I often wear a Del Fatti IWB @ 4:00 o'clock; it's thin, light, and comfortable. An acquaintance uses a Kramer Leather IWB; it's very similar!
Old September 1, 2007, 09:24 PM   #6
W.E.G.

man-purse, with extra mags and snacks
Old September 1, 2007, 10:03 PM   #7
BikerRN

My "preferred" carry method is IWB.

I carry a 4" N-Frame Revolver this way daily with a J-Frame in the Support Side Pocket. If I was in your situation I might consider just a J-Frame in the pocket. I really hate "off body" carry for a "Primary" and I'm not thrilled to use it for a "Secondary" either.

Biker

Last edited by BikerRN; September 2, 2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old September 1, 2007, 11:12 PM   #8
osuflipster

I have Glock 26 Kel-tec P32 and H&K P7 as my carry weapons, and 90% of the time it is P32 in the front pocket. It is so easy to conceal, you don't have to dress around it.
Glock 26; Kel-Tec P32
Old September 1, 2007, 11:15 PM   #9
MyXD40

I only open carry. Only time I conceal is when I'm wearing a jacket, or a overshirt over a tshirt.

I carry a all black XD service .40 ..somtimes I carry my duo-tone if I feel like a lil bling!

Only time I don't carry is if going somewhere with metal detectors. Other than that, anytime, anywhere
Old September 1, 2007, 11:16 PM   #10
MyXD40

I also carry two extra mags, on my left back side. 12 rounds each mag, plus one in the chamber. Hollows.
Old September 2, 2007, 12:23 AM   #11
jrothWA

Either a...

IWB or Bianchi 2000 shoulder
Old September 2, 2007, 12:27 AM   #12
hoytinak

HK P7 PSP....IWB or Ruger SP101....IWB or Keltec PF9....pocket
Old September 2, 2007, 12:34 AM   #13
Silentarmy

I carry several models/calibers. Summertime: usually a Glock 36 in Cobra Gunskin IWB with extra mag pouch attached. Glock 27 with Clipdraw and Saf-t-Blok ( to prevent AD) as no holster is covering trigger! These 2 options 4-o-clock IWB Carry. Winter: Glock 20 or 21 depends on my mood! In Fobus paddle or Beretta 96 in same type holster. I seldom carry the 96 as the manual safety would get me killed! BUG is Beretta Tomcat .32 in weak side Nemesis pocket holster or Ankle rig if wardrobe allows.
"What we learn from History is that we do not learn from History!"
Old September 2, 2007, 06:10 AM   #14
chewie

Quote:
I also have a "smart carry" jock holster, but sitting and driving with it is not comfortable for my 250 lb frame.
While it does have its disadvantages, I prefer ankle carry for long periods of sitting or driving. Just make sure you practice drawing your weapon to become comfortable with it.
Old September 2, 2007, 06:21 AM   #15
threegun

Quote:
man-purse, with extra mags and snacks
The best thing since sliced bread the man purse LOL. In Florida it is the only way to carry IMO.
Old September 2, 2007, 06:49 AM   #16
rampage841512

I carry a full-size 1911 in a leather Don Hume inside the waistband holster on my right side. I usually keep a spare mag in my left front pocket. While driving I like to keep my HK P2000sk sitting in the passenger seat in a little Craftsman tool bag I bought a while back.
Old September 2, 2007, 06:59 AM   #17
Tanzer

I've always use a standard OWB holster for my Kimber Ultracarry II .45. I just got used to dressing the part. When you wear it all the time, you get used to it. Refer to the archives - carry is second nature now by Playboypenguin (what ever happened to him?). Open carry is just asking to be the first one shot. Might as well be wearing a target on your shirt.
Old September 2, 2007, 07:05 AM   #18
rantingredneck

Ruger P345 strong side appendix. Bianchi Minimalist OWB holster. Untucked shirt. When I get to work the gun stays in the truck and the shirt get's tucked in. Reverse in the evening. Spare mag in mag carrier in left front pocket.

If I have to tuck my shirt in but still carry it's a NAA Guardian in .32NAA in strongside front pocket in a Ron Graham "Cookie" holster. 2 spare mags loose in left front pocket (I need to locate a good carrier for those)
Old September 2, 2007, 08:37 AM   #19
Shaun

I carry IWB on the strong side varrying between 4:00 and 2:30 depending on the gun/clothing/activity. I use Don Hume IWB exclusively now for all autos and small revolvers. Extra mag or speed loader is in support side pocket.

BTW Biker RN, where did you get a IWB holster for a N-Frame? is that custom?
Colt Cobra .38 Spl; Smith & Wesson M10 4"; Colt Detective Special; Ruger Security Six 6"; H&K USPc 40S&W; Smith & Wesson 686P 4"; Kimber Eclipse Pro II; Smith & Wesson M29 6.5"; 3-Screw Ruger Super Blackhawk; Glock 17
Old September 2, 2007, 11:57 AM   #20
Tennessee Gentleman

The best carry IMHO

S&W 642 in a pocket holster (Safariland 64)
Old September 2, 2007, 12:36 PM   #21
.351winchester

In the past, when I have carried, a shoulder rig was the only one I felt comfortable in, really can't stand a gun on my belt-least of all trying to hide it. But I never owned a really small handgun. 5" SA Loaded, G-19, Ruger P-'s, etc., I don't know how you guys do it. I'm getting a 3AT to keep in R. front pocket, maybe a little pocket holster. If I had a centennial or CIA, the coat pocket carry/fire method is appealing.
Horizontal Shoulder holster or in a pocket are all that work for me, CCW or open.
Old September 2, 2007, 12:37 PM   #22
katana8869

I carry IWB in the 3 o'clock position in a Bianchi Pro 100 holster. I usually carry a spare magazine in either my left front pocket or in my left rear pocket next to my wallet.

+1 to all who commented against SOB carry. My back is screwed up enough without adding a smashed vertebrae into the mix.
Old September 2, 2007, 12:50 PM   #23
PJack

While it does have its disadvantages, I prefer ankle carry for long periods of sittin

Ok, I've never used an ankle holster so help me out here. I'm right handed, do you carry in the inside left leg or outside right leg?
Old September 2, 2007, 01:53 PM   #24
Dwight55

Carry gun: 1911 full size (90%) and Bersa Thunder .380 (10%)

Favorite carry method: Galco Jackass (shoulder holster) knock off, under left arm, two mags under right arm.

Second favorite: Strong side IWB, leather open top.

Third favorite: inside my short sleeve shirt, Mexican carry cross draw.

Mostly the Bersa is in a pocket, . . . either jeans front or jacket strong side, and there is a spare mag that goes where it goes.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old September 2, 2007, 01:59 PM   #25
Silentarmy

Inside the left leg if right handed but just for fun, pretend you are trying to draw from outside the right leg and see if you don't fall on your butt.
Neither is a real fast or comfortable draw but not a bad place for BUG or "New york Reload" when crouched for cover!
"What we learn from History is that we do not learn from History!"