The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 11, 2007, 08:38 AM   #1
klcmschlesinger

11-87 price check

I was at wal mart the other day and saw an all camo 1187, 3 inch for under $600. I looked on gun broker and I have access to see some guns' wholesale price and I don't see anything in camo from the 11-87 line that even comes close to this. Is this because wally world buys large amounts or should I be skeptical for some reason.

The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "a flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole, is a danish."
Old August 11, 2007, 01:37 PM   #2
ebutler462

Don't be skeptical. It is the same gun that you will pay 1/3 more for anywhere else. WM buys these by the boxcar load. I have one of them and it is great. The 11-87 is a little heavy for upland hunting but it is a great, reliable shooter that will cycle anything you feed it.

Don't be skeptical about WM guns. They had better be top quality or WM will cancel their contract.
Old August 11, 2007, 04:53 PM   #3
Scoupe

That's within $50 of what an nice used Premier goes for around here. That's a good price, especially if you're looking for camo.
Old August 11, 2007, 11:04 PM   #4
klcmschlesinger

SX2

My brother can get me an SX2 winchester 3.5shells for about $600. He is a cop and can get some stuff wholesale. I have a bunch of chokes and scope mounts for remington, anybody have an opinion on this. I don't think I need 2 guns that can shoot 3.5 but I guess it would be nice.
Thoughts?

The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "a flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole, is a danish."
Old August 12, 2007, 01:15 PM   #5
ebutler462

Personally I would rather have the Remington 11-87. I can foresee that Winchester is going to be rather rare in the future. I know that Browning bought the rights to the Super X but Browning is the dominant brand. Remington parts will always be available. Winchester? Maybe, maybe not.

Browning changes manufacturers from time to time so I think I will stay with Remington.

A good used Remington 11-87 can be had for between $300-400 and will last forever if taken care of. All guns usually need a part now and again. That is why I prefer Remington.

Also, I doubt that you will ever need 3 1/2" loads. They are not used much in the real world. They make for good advertising but I have never seen a 3 1/2" shell. I have had great luck with 2 3/4" for my shooting needs. I have shot 3" but not any more.
Old August 13, 2007, 10:24 AM   #6
klcmschlesinger

I have an 870 that shoots 3.5 shells and I have used them for geese. But stopped buying them because fo the price and I agree the 3 inch do just fine. I am just wanted an auto for dove and for duck and goose when I have my 870 scoped for deer.

Old August 16, 2007, 01:34 PM   #7
stephenkl

Does anyone know if they still make 11-87s with wood stocks?

Remington's website confuses me. Unless I am missing something, every model 11-87 they list only comes in synthetic or camo. And yet, they have a picture of an 11-87 with a wood stock on the same page as the model list! So what's the deal?
Old August 18, 2007, 09:26 PM   #8
Fat White Boy

My son's 11-87 doesn't cycle low based shells. He has to use hi-based shells for it to work properly. My 1100 shoots anything in 2 3/4 length from low base to magnum.