The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 20, 2007, 05:17 PM   #1
jon_in_wv

Dan Wesson .44mag value?

One of the local shops has a Used Dan Wesson .44 magnum with a four or five inch barrel in decent shape that I can probably get for just under $400. Do you think its worth it? I have always though the DW revolvers were nice. This isn't one the ones with an interchangeable barrel. Let me know what you think. Its been sitting in his cabinet for a while and I think I heard it whisper my name the other day.
Old July 20, 2007, 08:50 PM   #2
wdelack

I picked up a 44 mag pistol pack, in excellent condition, for $580 this past Feb .

I was unaware that the 44 was available in a fixed barrel model. Do you know which location the revolver was made? Monson, Palmer or Norwich (marked on the right side of the frame)? If from Palmer, check the gun out thoroughly be making a purchasing decision (see the revolver checkout thread).
Old July 21, 2007, 11:07 AM   #3
jon_in_wv

I have no ideal where it was made. Actually I didn't know there was a difference. I thought DWs were all the same. Is there a more or less desireable type? I thought DWs had a good rep for their revolvers as far as quality and accuracy.
Old July 21, 2007, 12:20 PM   #4
wdelack

The Dan Wesson company had changed ownership a few times. With each change in ownership the company was moved. First from their original location in Monson to Palmer, then from Palmer to Norwich. Their current owners, CZ, hasn't moved Dan Wesson out of Norwich.

Here is a good writeup on the history of Dan Wesson:
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...c,87282.0.html

There has been past discussion that the Palmer made guns had some quality control issues. I haven't experienced this myself but I have not held or fired any of the Palmer made guns. I have 4 Dan Wesson revolvers, all of them from the Monson era and all have been fantastic shooters.