The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2007, 11:10 AM   #1
Jaycolo

Black powder help

Ive been reloading for a few months now. I've been loading 9mm and 45colt i want to start loading some of my 45colt rounds with black powder. whats a good powder to use bullet to use and load data for this also? Thanks for the help
Old May 8, 2007, 01:17 PM   #2
Castaway

A soft lead bullet to start with, lubed with SPG or something similar that doesn't have a petroleum base. Over powder wads aren't necessary for pistol calibers but won't hurt either. Drop the powder through about 24 inches of sparkless tubing (aluminum arrow or copper tubing) into the case, stopping about 1/10" from the top. Seat and shoot.
Old May 8, 2007, 04:16 PM   #3
Evil Dog

Jay... if you do start shooting black, keep in mind that post-shooting cleaning is a bit different. Think along the lines of hot soap and water. You will also need to clean the cartridge cases.
Old May 8, 2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Ifishsum

I use Pyrodex in my .45LC loads, fill the case so you get a little compression when you seat the bullet. I have been using an overpowder wad made of vegetable fiber, and lubing the bullets with a homemade beeswax/crisco lube. Pyrodex P (FFFg eq.) will give you hotter loads than RS (FFg eq.).

I clean the gun well before I shoot BP, and pretreat the bore and cylinder fronts with Bore Butter before firing. Makes cleaning up much easier!

Hogdon has data for Pyrodex cartridge loading on their site, you can even use pellets in the cartridge but I haven't tried that.