The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 21, 2007, 01:03 AM   #1
FailureByDesign

My new Remington 700 .22 250 review/pictures!!!!

First off, thanks for all the advice to all of you who helped me out make my decsion, this is my first rifle and i LOVE IT

ok, today was my first shooting day with it, i have had it for two weeks but finally got a scope, then had to order a base for it,, I ended up buying a Burris Signature Series 8-32x44.

My short review;

Visual:

First off, IMO the rifle visually looks great, i love the new model that remington is offering for 2007. This is the Model 700 SPS Varmint. The vented forend of the stock is very pleasing to the eye. Overall there is nothing i dont like about the visual aspect.

Stock:

From reading previous reviews about the remington synthetic stock was a bit aprehensive, although when i receieved the rifle i was quite pleased. It feels very ergonomic and solid. Also, the butt of the stock has a raised section for a better head position, not sure if this is a new feature, but i like it. I have felt better, but for the money its not bad at all.

Trigger:

I love the feel of the trigger, very ergonomic to my finger and seems to be comfortable for me. I used a tester and was drawing around 4 1/2 lbs, i would like to get that down around 3lbs though, looking at aftermarket triggers.

Shooting:

Pretty much the only experience i have shooting rifles is in the military. On that note, i do not have extensive experience with hunting rifles, but anyway.... I am very pleased with this remington. I broke it in somewhat as best as i could. The rifle feels extremely solid while shooting and there is little recoil, but one hell of a bang! Bolt/receiver action is very smooth. Once i got the rifle sited in, i was easily shooting 150 yrds at .75 groups with winchester 45 gr. JHP, not to bad factory ammo, i am anxious to try different loads, but will most likely be reloading my own very soon.

Burris Signature Series 8-32x44

Great scope, i was looking at other makes, but i coudln't pass up this deal, that being said i'm pleased with it. When cranked up to 32 it was like watching my target with a big screen tv. Only thing is, not qute to sure about the eye relief, suppose i will just have to get use to it, but the glass is extremely clear, and the overall of the adjustability is amazing..

Here are a few pictures i snapped, enjoy!

My beretta was feeling left out so here she is, best sidekick ever!!!

Would love to here any comments, thanks, paul
Old April 21, 2007, 01:15 AM   #2
Fat White Boy

Hard to beat. My Remington 700 is in .308 and it is great...
Old April 21, 2007, 01:34 AM   #3
Dannyboy303

Very nice Rifle indeed! One of my mates also has that Model Rifle but in 243, extremely accurate, i dont think he can keep the grin off his face while holding it, he previously had a 243 in Howa which he's since forgotten. Happy Hunting with that im sure it will do you well.
Old April 21, 2007, 07:14 AM   #4
USNairman

Nice rifle - may the lord bless you with many critters to reach out and touch.
My 22-250 is one of my favorite rifles.
Old April 21, 2007, 08:12 AM   #5
joshua

Nice set up there. Don't worry too much about eye relief since the 22-250 doesn't kick much even with the heaviest bullets you can use with your rifling twist. I have a Burris 8x32x44 Signature and I like it very much. I has been very reliable, clear and repeatable. I do have a Pentax 30mm and a Sightron SIII and it will compete with those scopes and still have money for plenty of ammo and Butler scope caps. Excellent rig you got there. josh
Old April 21, 2007, 02:19 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Nice

It's good to see remington is still making fine rifles. My personal preference for varmint rifles is what you guys today would call "old school", blued steel and wood stocks, but if you prefer the "tactical" finish, by all means enjoy.
Old April 21, 2007, 02:28 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

Sweet - that's quite a tack-drivin' lookin' little rig ya got there!
Old April 21, 2007, 04:51 PM   #8
boltgun71

Great looking rifle. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do my four 700's. I wish they would make that new SPS Varmint model in .260 Rem and I would have to get one. Keep up the good shooting.
Old April 25, 2007, 08:50 PM   #9
FailureByDesign

thanx for all the great replies guys!
Old April 25, 2007, 11:44 PM   #10
mrawesome22

Glad you like it. Now all you have to do is go out and get a good looking wood stock LOL. I have the VLS. Basically the same gun with a laminated stock and jewelled bolt. They are great rifles. And no need to worry about eye relief with that rig. 1/2" would be plenty LOL.