The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 19, 2007, 05:01 AM   #1
EMT-P Shooter

Taurus Ultralites

What does everyone think about the taurus ulralights? Specifically the model 444MULTI. I am new to "wheelguns" as I find they're called, so I am interested in everyone's opinions.
Jess
Old April 19, 2007, 05:12 AM   #2
685cmj

I shot an S&W 21 ounce .357 with magnums a couple weeks ago. It hurt! This gun is a few ounces more, but shooting .44 magnums...my guess is, its going to hurt!
Old April 19, 2007, 09:42 AM   #3
michael t

I pass on a Taurus . In fact I take a S&W with the lock for about the same money Way better gun. At present I owe 2 Taurus guns Both are in my trade section .They are leaving my house
Old April 19, 2007, 09:51 PM   #4
EMT-P Shooter

Yeah, I guess I am just looking for a good light weight 44 magnum. Any specific reasons why the Taurus turns you off and you would rather choose the S&W?
Old April 19, 2007, 11:52 PM   #5
RsqVet

Light weight 44 mag is going to be punishing... the smith 329 is not a fun gun to shot. That being said if you want a light 44 that it the gun to get.

The advershion to tarus os based on quality... it is spoty at best, so Tarus is adequate at best... many custom smiths refuse to work on tarus for this reason. While someone could arm twist me into owning a steel tarus if it was not a gun I carried for self defense I will always stay away from alunimum or titanium tarus products. The metalergy and manufacturing of these metals is much too critical esp for demanding uses such as firearms to trust it to an company like Tarus and their band of merry makers off in Brazil. Not to mention the fact that i ahve seen a tarus tracker in titanium with hunks of the top strap eroding due to some serious flaw....
Old April 20, 2007, 02:22 PM   #6
DeathRodent

I think that lightweight Taurus is .44 magnum would be a good hiking gun.

You could load it with .44 specials and have the option of .44 magnum if you were worried about bears.
Old April 20, 2007, 04:00 PM   #7
EMT-P Shooter

Thanks RsqVet, that makes sense about the metallurgy, esp. in a brand that I am finding has doubts about its quality by many peoples standards. The reason for the large caliber and light weight combination would be for backpacking, but I am still feeling it out. I may end up with .357 or 38 special in the end. Jess
Old April 20, 2007, 04:19 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

For .38 spl only, I think it's a pretty good idea. For .357, forget it.
Old April 20, 2007, 04:28 PM   #9
RsqVet

EMT --

Hiking guns rapidly becomes a downward debate in many forums with opinions that range from a 22 to the 500 magnum. Pick what works for you.

Personally unless one is going somewhere where one has a huge chance of running across a big / angry preditor (i.e. grizzley bear) the 357 loaded with hard cast 180 gr hunting rounds does it for me. I usually carry a steel 5 shot 357... the Ruger Sp101 is the heaviest 5 shot out there so it's not bad to shoot with the hot hunting loads. For me this package combines something that hits hard, that I can shoot well and is something I actually want to carry along with all the other stuff.

The gun I move up to if I'm not carrying anything else or am in a serious preditor area is a Ruger alaskan in 454; but that gun is a chunk of metal to be carrying unless you really think you need. Most of the time I don't feel the need for it. Having a 44mag as a kind of middle of the road gun might be nice however I can't talk myself into stocking another caliber.
Old April 21, 2007, 01:33 AM   #10
EMT-P Shooter

5 shot... there's an idea.
Old April 21, 2007, 05:44 AM   #11
denfoote

I've owned a 17oz M85SSUL for years!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old April 21, 2007, 07:15 AM   #12
JR47

The lightweight weapons of S&W are just as trouble prone as anyone elses. The two-piece barrel has had problems with backing out, and the frames are proving to be just as prone to stretching as aluminum frames used by others.

Aluminum frames aren't a difficult thing to manufacture, and I haven't heard the usual bashers of brands weigh in on them for that reason. As far as titanium goes, Taurus has been the ONLY manufacturer to actually make a true titanium weapon. The other pretenders only use titanium in certain parts, and not all that many at that.

If you plan on shooting 200-400 rounds per month of full-power ammo through any of these weapons, you'll find that they shhot loose quickly. They're meant for lots of carry, and little actual shooting. Regardless of brand.

Try to shoot a sample of the weapon you're intending to buy. Decide then if you like it. Check your example well before leaving the shop, including checking individial charge-holes with a snap cap, or an empty casing. Too many people seem willing to accept flawed weapons, pay good money, and then complain bitterly. They seem to think that their own lack of common sense is the fault of the manufacturer.
Old April 23, 2007, 08:21 PM   #13
Lightsped

A friend of mine bought a M444 in Titanium not too long ago. He got the matt stainless color. His gun has a four inch barrel I believe. Its fairly short, but not a snubbie.

I have fired this gun, and I like it quite a bit. I like guns with recoil, and this one did not disappoint. He hasn't had any issues with his M444. Nice piece.
Old April 24, 2007, 12:38 AM   #14
TWB

Taurus UL - .22 Mag

The Taurus UL I bought in .22 mag is the sorriest POS I have ever been burned with buying. Trigger pull is abysmal. Action is as smooth as #220 grit across your front teeth. Work by a gunsmith made it a smoother 20lb+ trigger. (He warned me in advance that the work, including a good trigger spring, would not bring this pistol up from the lousy level of manufacture - he was right.) Removing 3/4 turn off the mainspring yielded a gun that never fired again, thus demonstrating that the gun was marginal in function in the first place. I then got to sample the legendary Taurus service for a year and a half. I finally took it back and had the gunsmith make a spring to replace the one I shortened. I now await someone so evil, vile, disgusting and hopeless that I will consider selling this thing to, just for spite. Unfortunately, Charles Schumer probably isn't in the market for a .22 mag.
Old April 24, 2007, 12:51 AM   #15
TWB

Sorry for the interruption

Post deleted by writer....
Old April 24, 2007, 08:55 AM   #16
JR47

TWB, my only .22WMR pistol is a Taurus 941. The double-action trigger is heavy. Then again, my friends S&W .22 WMR pistol has a double-action trigger that's twice that of his other S&W revolvers, as well. The factories made the triggers on these weapons heavier to insure reliable ignition.

Any pistol may have the trigger pull reduced by shortening the main spring. ANY pistol may suffer unreliable ignition after that is done. It's less a "marginally functional" effect, and more of a "I want that trigger lighter, or else" thing.

I sometimes wonder why we buy weapons that we don't feel are correct. You DID check out the trigger at the shop, right? Examine the revolver for defects? Yet, you still bought it. NOW, after having it modified into an unreliable piece, you come here to complain. Amazing.
Old April 24, 2007, 04:18 PM   #17
RsqVet

JR --

Not everyone is as experinced, not every gun shop permits extended evaluation and in some states you have to have a permit to even look... plus sometimes you order in a gun havign already left a deposit or buy the gun online.

SO it can happen to the best of us.

Cutting the spring is obvioulsy a bad idea on any gun and nothing can be concluded from the fact the gun did not work after that other than it was a bad idea to begin with. I have had similar lack of luck with light weight springs in my Rugers... they are fine guns I messed with the system then they did not work in that configuration.
Old April 24, 2007, 05:31 PM   #18
JR47

Vet, most shops will let you handle a prospective purchase. Pulling the trigger (dry-firing) is something that is almost universal.

Even special order weapons may be refused if there is something wrong with them. It costs the shop nothing to return a defective firearm to a distributor or manufacturer. The weapon is already paid for as a special order, so they have either all of their money, or a good part of it.

We read here daily about weapons bought that have terrible finishes, porous castings, bad forgings, binding cylinders, mis-aligned sights, and so on. Why anyone would leave the shop with them is beyong comprehemsion. If you special-ordered a car, and it came in with a bad engine, or peeling paint, you wouldn't purchase it until it was either repaired or replaced.

As for needing a permit to look at a weapon, that's sad. However, you'll have that permit prior to buying a specific weapon, and that will allow you to handle it.

Most of what I describe doesn't take a lot of experience, just common sense.
Old April 24, 2007, 07:34 PM   #19
RsqVet

Well simply put not EVERYONE sees and apreciates the finer points of evaluationg a gun... what may be common sense for one is only learned through a bad experince by another so I don't think it's worth getting on people for it... no one knows everything at any time and we all start off somewhere and hopefully get better as time goes by.

I say this being rather well educated, good with my hands, mechanically inclined if you will and STILL having bought some lemons that I should have left on the shelf or made other similar mistakes in buying or picking guns out .

Furthermore if you would like a list of gun dealer with whom I have delt that either would not allow one to snap hammers on guns AKA dry fire, and or who required a deposit to order a gun and then tried to strong arm one into buying it no matter what I'd be happy to give you the names and numbers of some of the real jerks I have run across. Don't even get me started on the guy who pulled all the extras out of my first AR15's box then "forgot" to put them back in. Would maybe be believable if it did not happen to 2 other people at the same place.

Frankly I find gun dealers to be of two types... great or abysmal.... not muc inbetween in my experince. Sad thing is the abysmal ones seem to keep going and going for the most part.
Old April 25, 2007, 09:42 AM   #20
JR47

Sorry for your experiences. I make it a point to search out shops that allow me to handle firearms first. I'm never going to use a shop that removes anything from the box. If necessary, the law would be involved. I paid for it, so it's mine.

It IS worth the hassle to me.
Old April 25, 2007, 09:57 AM   #21
Tex32cal

I've been very pleased with my Taurus 850 38 spl. In fact, I ordered laser grips for it yesterday.

My plan is to carry it in a paddle holster as my primary and my Kel-Tec 32 in an ankle holster as my secondary.

Michael
Old April 25, 2007, 12:29 PM   #22
The Real Wyatt

I have a fair number of handguns, among them are:
A Taurus 44-Ten Tracker with 6.5" bbl
A Taurus 44-Ten Tracker with 4.5" bbl
A Taurus 970 Tracker wit 6.0" bbl
A Taurus 24/7 Pro
A Taurus M85B

The 44-Tens are the most fun to shoot of any guns I own. They put a big grin on my face every time.

The 970 is the most accurate gun I own, better than any of my Smiths or Rugers.

The 24/7 is kinda ugly, but functional. 5000+ rounds of varous sorts including handloads with never a failure of any sort. What more could one ask of a carry gun?

The 85B came into my possesion one day when I decided I wanted a snubby carry gun. I looked at all the .38s they had in the gun shop and narrowed my choice down to a Ruger, a Smith and the Taurus. I chose the Taurus, not because of price, rather due to percieved quality of fit and finish and overall smoothness of action and trigger pull. That day, in that particular gun shop, the little all-steel Taurus 85B was the best .38 Special snubbie overall.

My 55+ years of owning, buying and shooting guns tells me that a modern Taurus gun is a pretty darn good gun. I have no experience with older Taurus guns which may or may not have been poorly built, I bought my first one in February 2006.