The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 18, 2007, 11:06 PM   #1
DNK

Best folding / collapsible stock

Now that I have my 20" barrel and 7 shot mag, does anyone have a recommendation on a folding stock? I like the look of the Knoxx copstock, but am open to any suggestions as long as the overall length of the weapon is 37 inches or less for storage reasons. I am not interested in pistol grip only, but a pistol grip folder is fine. Has anyone shot the copstock or another folder they like that is decently comfortable through a box of 25?
Old April 19, 2007, 12:57 PM   #2
webbee

I've shot over a box (25) of slugs, one-handed wire frame folded, with a Knoxx CopStock and had absolutely no hand soreness. It's the best addition to a 12ga that has been marketed to date. With the wire frame extended, the shotty becomes more accurate/controllable, but doesn't recoil any worse. Go for it, you won't be sorry.
Old April 19, 2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Slugthrower

I have the Copstock on a Mossberg 500 Persuader. 20" bbl. The shotgun is around 40 inches opened and about 31 inches folded. I put a fiber optic front sight on it and it makes me happy. Knoxx claims 50% or so reduction in recoil, I think it is closer to 35%. For a wire folder it is an excellent extra for a shotgun.

Note. The copstock prevents the use of side saddles and limits your options on optics. Not a big deal to me, but there are some that would be turned off by not having some of those neato gadgets on there ultra mega super strategic tactical impractical shotgun
Old April 19, 2007, 07:22 PM   #4
DNK

So how does the stock feel on your shoulder when you're shooting? The wire style frame looks like it might be a bit uncomfortable. Better or worse than a standard wooden stock without a recoil pad? Have you shot any 3" shells through this setup?
Old April 19, 2007, 07:45 PM   #5
Slugthrower

I have shot 50 3" slugs out of it in that configuration in one range secession.

Recoil is painless. I am 5'9" tall and weight 190 lbs. Shooting 7 shells at a B-27 silhouette 15 yds in 7 seconds is easy. Keeping all pellets on the silhouette is not all that hard. Feels like a 20 gauge youth gun to me. Compared to the standard stock it is less punishing. Unless you are really small or thin you should not feel any pain from recoil.