The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2007, 04:50 PM   #1
kjm

Good beginner chronograph?

I need to get a chronograph. I don't need the latest and greatest, just something that will give me velocity. Are there any standouts in the field? I've always purchased Dillon, but their Chrony is $178. That's more than what I wanted in features and price. I am happy recording data with pencil and paper.

Maybe a better question is are there any reasons I should not go cheap? Are there any chrony's that just don't stand up well?

Thanks!
Old March 6, 2007, 05:01 PM   #2
mtnbkr

I've had the Shooting Chrony basic model for the past few years and haven't had any issues with it. It was roughly $70 when I bought it. You can get a factory refurbished model even cheaper if they have any in stock.

Chris
Old March 6, 2007, 05:05 PM   #3
Gbro

I have a prochrono, purchased through midway. about $100.00
I wonder some times if the deviation is my loads or the chrony.
I wonder if anyone has lined up a couple to compare the results??
Old March 6, 2007, 05:41 PM   #4
rwilson452

I don't know of any chrono that won't fit your basic needs. I bought a Chrony that I have upgraded over the years. I woulds suggest the Chrony Master series. The master costs a few dollars more than the straight model but I think it's money well spent. I would go for the Chrony alpha master. You can always upgrade should the mood strike. The all seem to last until you shoot it. Then it's done. they all tend to be that way. bullets just tend to do destructive things to a chronograph.
Old March 6, 2007, 05:44 PM   #5
Abstract

Shooting Chrony, F1; use wooden dowels, for obvious reasons, when attaching the skyscreens.
Old March 6, 2007, 05:50 PM   #6
WCW

I've used the basic chrony for many years and I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. They are about the cheapest on the market, and in comparison with other makes and models I have never seen much of a difference in recorded velocities. My advice is to go with the best you can afford at the moment, and preferably something that can at the least be upgraded in the future. As with all things related to reloading, you never know when the urge to update equipment will strike.
Old March 6, 2007, 08:05 PM   #7
jdmick

Quote:
Shooting Chrony, F1; use wooden dowels, for obvious reasons, when attaching the skyscreens.
Best advice I've seen in a while. I managed to hit a rod with my .38 snubbie this past weekend. It didn't work quite right after that.
Old March 6, 2007, 09:33 PM   #8
amamnn

Shooting Chrony--master version of whatever model suits your needs best. I like the beta-- 6 strings of 10 works fine for load development/experimenting as far as I'm concerned. I had a very expensive Oheler at one time- never lend your cronograph to anyone--- I have to say that the chrony seems to work just as well. I also bought the software and such to hook it up to my computer and that's been a big help in record keeping and etc...
Old March 7, 2007, 01:45 AM   #9
arkie2

I got a chrony F1 and it's been great. 80 bucks at Midway but you'll have to add a tripod. I picked up a photographers tripod at Wally World for less than $30.

Last edited by arkie2; March 7, 2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old March 7, 2007, 07:31 AM   #10
Stargazer

I just bought (2) Chrony's as my buddy shot my first one to death. It is the basic F1 model and I made a momentary switch so I could access the other data it has the ability to do. A tripod is in order for sure to hold it. The numbers can be read at a distance fairly well. The only bitch I have about it is I wish the switch could also reset the Chrony instead of having to get up and go physically turn it off then back on. Let us know what you end up with.

M70 Web Page
Old March 7, 2007, 10:41 AM   #11
Fiddler 5.56

Shooting Chrony: Had mine since they first came out. Got "winged" years ago by a .44 mag , sat in the Garage gathering dust for nine years. Took it out the other week , blew off the dust, new battery and still works just fine.
Old March 7, 2007, 12:37 PM   #12
Daniel BOON

to all of you chronograph users

in cluding my self. if you develop a load, and its accurate without blowing anything up, then why does the load need to be chronographed? I've never been able to answer that question. maybe somebody else will know?
Old March 7, 2007, 01:43 PM   #13
Fiddler 5.56

Velocity / Trajectory ?
Old March 7, 2007, 08:10 PM   #14
rwilson452

The short answer is.... If you don't know the velocity you cannot compute drop.

another thing it will tell you is if that occational flyer was you or the load.

It will also help you determine if your loads are too hot.

If the only thing your doing is finding a good hunting load for your 30-06 and all your shots are 100 yards or less. you don't need a chronograph. If your using a varmint rifle on whistle dogs in excess of 400 yards you want a chronograph.

A local guy's longest goundhog kill is 1076 yards, do you think he chronographed those rounds before going afield?
Old March 8, 2007, 03:38 AM   #15
Foxman

+1 on the prochrono I have had mine years works great.
Buddy who ranches cattle gives me the spills from AI which are thin plastic tubes, fit perfect and snap off with stray bullets leaving no damage.
http://www.competitionelectronics.com/
Old March 8, 2007, 03:21 PM   #16
kjm

I mainly need the chrony to make sure I'm not loading too hot. I have milsurp .45 powder that has no recipes for using in a .40. Therefore, I'll have to start small and work up. The rest of the velocity stuff is just nice to know to calculate bullet drop.

I love this place. There are no gun related questions that can't be answered here! Thanks for the help y'all.
Old March 8, 2007, 06:56 PM   #17
Scorch

Quote:
if you develop a load, and its accurate without blowing anything up, then why does the load need to be chronographed?
It's the thirst for knowledge! It's the quest for perfection! It's the darned marketers that tell us that the bullet companies who publish reloading manuals don't have chronographs! And it's one more toy towards that "he who dies with the most toys" thing!

Honestly, the main reason I use one is to make sure the velocity on my handloads is consistent. Other than that, I really don't care.
Old March 8, 2007, 08:14 PM   #18
Kato_Guy

I just ordered a pro chrono from midway so hopefully I made a good choice!!! I haven't seen any bad reviews on it yet!
Old March 8, 2007, 09:45 PM   #19
intruder

Crony gets my vote have one for years.
Old March 9, 2007, 12:28 AM   #20
cheygriz

When discussing chronographs, there's only one name you need to remember:

OEHLER
Old March 9, 2007, 12:43 PM   #21
nbkky71

Quote:
When discussing chronographs, there's only one name you need to remember: OEHLER
True... the Oehler 35/35P is the cat's meow.

However, Oehler suspended production a while ago. When you can find them, they're running upwards of $500 for a model 35/35P. They still service them though.

too rich for my blood.
Old March 9, 2007, 12:49 PM   #22
rwilson452

YOu might not recall but the question posed was not what is the gold standard the poster ask for an economy model. Oehler if it is anything, it is not the economy product.