The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2007, 04:32 AM   #1
Sub MOA

KEITH brass?

I've searched this forum and several others and come up empty-handed, so I'll just ask. Here's the deal...

Few months ago at the local show I picked up 240 pieces of brand new Winchester .44 Mag brass. Didn't really need it, but it was a good price so I brought it home and stashed it away. Doing some reloading last night I ran across this brass. Come to find out that there were some oddballs hiding in the lot: 80 pieces of "Keith 44 MAG" headstamped brass.

So did Elmer Keith produce a line of handgun brass or did some guy named Keith think it would be cool to buy a run of brass with his own headstamp? My guess is on Elmer, but can anyone confirm this?

Sub
Old January 23, 2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Neither.
Several years ago, Midway sold brass with name headstamps. Keith on the .44. I don't recall if they did others or if they were just mentioned, like Skeeter (Skelton) .357 and Cooper .45 ACP.
Old January 23, 2007, 01:34 PM   #3
Sub MOA

Interesting. Elmer inspired Midway brass. Thanks for the reply Jim.

Sub
Old January 23, 2007, 01:34 PM   #4
Rimrod

Yes they ran several at the same time with the names on the caliber of brass that were somehow significant or related. I believe "Cooper" was on the .45ACP, but I think the .357 was someone else like "Jordan". In addition they would occaisionally offer limited runs with various first names which I think were overruns on special orders.