The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2007, 06:52 PM   #26
Texas_XD

Ironic you mentioned shellholders, Bucky.. I was just reading today where someone discovered a possible issue with them in general. Of course, I don't QUITE understand every lil thing he talks about, but too much run out sounds to a potential accuracy issue. Anyway, here's a link:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1943018
Old January 21, 2007, 07:53 PM   #27
Buckythebrewer

Maybe im luckyI have used my original Lee challenger kit and dies for years.I have loaded my encore 16" pistol to near benchrest accuracy.My ar15 with those same dies has produced 100 yard 5 shot groups approaching 1/4-1/8"(mostly 1/2" though).shooting at 600 yards my rifle using handloads are under M.O.A.(has shot a 5 shot group all but 1 under 3").sloppy shellholders,sloppy press(not that I think its sloppy),sloppy dies,sloppy everything can still produce accuracy I guess.I guess my rifles don't care to much about runout.Either that the Lee designs produces less of it
My point is Don't waste your money on a product because it cost more and you think your going to get more because of it..Its kind of like buying your way through life.The guy/or girl behind the equipment is going to make the biggest difference in the final product.No matter how much you spend it won't get you any further ahead,and it won't give you the winning edge.Its your experience and sometimes alot of trial and error that will get you what you are after,IMO.
I will say that In the world of HIGH precision and BENCHREST competition,YES!! it can all matter very much and sometimes you have to pay for precision.But for most people it is just money WASTED and there buying expensive products that won't make a difference in there application.
Old January 21, 2007, 08:17 PM   #28
CrustyFN

Quote:
I see that a Natchez flyer has a Deluxe kit that includes a 4 hole turret with auto indexing. Is this a cast iron press Crusty?
No it is not the classic turret. As far as I know Cabela's is the only one that has the classic turret in a kit. The classic kit comes with all the upgrades, the pro auto disk, safety prime large and small, auto disk riser, a rifle charging die and safety scale. I have never used the old turret but have talked to poeple that have used them for years and been very happy, but the ones that have used both turrets will tell you the classic is worth the extra money. Check out Cabela's on the web and you will see the difference. Also go to Leeprecision.com and you can watch videos of the press in action.
Rusty
Old January 21, 2007, 11:18 PM   #29
Texas_XD

Bucky, sorry if you took that the wrong way, it wasn't meant as anything other then pointing out a potential issue with sloppy done shell holders since they were brought up. The gent posting is somewhat of a "numbers" man, if I may say so, but very knowledgable and helpful. He is using the turret press, though if it matters any.
Old January 22, 2007, 01:00 AM   #30
Buckythebrewer

No, I did not take it that way,I think it was very valid info,and could make a difference under some conditions(rifles,chambers,etc).My main point was the press won't make the difference.You could spend HUndreds of dollars on a press and still have the same issues(when it comes to accuracy)as a Cheap press..They are both going to have the same problems to deal with.The same goes for dies.I will use my situation for example.I did not have to spend alot, to get alot using Lee equipment.My Lee perfect powder measure with h4895 and any other Medium extruded powder ive used Meters SPOT on when I check it with a scale(Thats a $20 dollar precision tool).The dies are another example.Maybe for someone elses rifle they would not perform as well??But spending alot of money on competition dies would not guarantee me any better accuracy.I would have to do the testing and trial and error with those dies as well.
Why spend alot of money when there is no ONE perfect recipe for success in reloading???You could spend All the money in the world and still NOT get what you want for results..
Start with a good quality Lee kit ,Learn the ins and outs,,AND then decide if you need or want more.
Old January 22, 2007, 07:47 AM   #31
Kreyzhorse

Thanks for all the replies so far. THis is turning into a great thread. With so many opinions floating around, I think the best first step is to buy the ABC's of Reloading, which I did. It should be here this week. I have been looking at two kits, a RCBS and a Lyman kit. It appears both kits are exactly the same except the Lyman has a digital scale with it. Does a digital scale really improve the process over a manual scale?
Old January 22, 2007, 01:11 PM   #32
1tomcat

I dont shoot a lot of rounds per month so I have a single stage, an
rcbs rockchucker, have used it for 50 years and far as I know it is just getting broke in good