The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 15, 2006, 12:48 AM   #1
Diggers

Want to get started.

Well, I have decided that I need to learn how to hand load. I am tired of paying 20+ bucks a box for ammo and having to take what they have in .44 special, which is usually some sort of cowboy load, which my gun does not like and spits all over the place.
I tie my own flies for flyfishing and think that it may be analogous to hand loading for shooting. (but ultimately much quieter )

So where and how do I start learning? I know next to nothing about this art but I am looking forward to it.

Thanks
-D
Old October 15, 2006, 02:08 AM   #2
timothy75

Handloads.com will tell you pretty much everything and they have detailed forums aswell. You CAN learn as you go, so just triple check load data at first and jump right in. Straight walled revolver rounds are easiest and a great place to start. Good luck
Old October 15, 2006, 02:46 AM   #3
Diggers

Thanks, I'll check them out.
Old October 15, 2006, 06:12 AM   #4
carl418

I'm also new to reloading. I bought everything used off of ebay. You have to be patient, and check what the equipment costs new at places like Midway.com. I've seen people pay prices higher than new on ebay for used!

That said, I've successfully loaded 200 rounds of .357 mag, and I find myself looking forward more to the bullet-making than the bullet-shooting! It is, so far, an excellent way to save money, and I find it interesting and relaxing.

As far as saving money, I figured out that all the equipment I bought will be paid for in less than one year, based on the typical amount of bullets I shoot a year.

Good luck, and visit this forum often... I do, and I've learned a lot here!

S&WCA | SAF | GOA Life | NRA Benefactor
Old October 15, 2006, 06:42 AM   #5
Jammer Six

Read The ABC's of Reloading.

Twice.
Old October 15, 2006, 12:27 PM   #6
beardking

And check out my for sale ad here

shameless plug
Old October 15, 2006, 02:18 PM   #7
Diggers

LOL that is a shameless plug

I have The ABC's of reloading on its way from amazon.
Old October 16, 2006, 10:29 AM   #8
hikingman

Equipment for getting started

Some USED equipment can be used for reloading. There's lots of used presses floating around. Single stage is popular. If you're looking at Lee Equip., you might consider their turret press that sells for less than $100. Buying some equipment used is a big help if you quickly want to reach the break-even point on cost. I was collecting and reselling used equip. (for a profit) and was close to the break-even point on my very first loads.

Enjoy, be safe, and go for it!
Old October 17, 2006, 11:41 AM   #9
Nephilim-777

Quote:
Read The ABC's of Reloading.
I started with the above, its worth it.
Old October 17, 2006, 07:24 PM   #10
Jammer Six

Yes it is.

I went back and re-read it after I had loaded my first thousand rounds, and got a lot more out of it.
Old October 18, 2006, 02:18 AM   #11
T. O'Heir

Read the ABC's book then look into an RCBS Beginner's kit. Gives you everything you need less dies(think carbide sizer die only) and shell holder. Buying bits and pieces is more expensive in the long run. Talk to the guys you shoot with and you're local gun shop too. Ask the shop about the Beginner's kit price too. The ABC's book is great, but it doesn't hurt to see it done either. And keep in mind that we're here for you as well.
Forget E-bay. They're anti-firearm and they get a piece of every sale.
Old October 18, 2006, 03:38 AM   #12
Diggers

Thanks for the info. I think I will get the ABC's and read it before I start buying stuff. I'm sure that I will have all sorts of questions for you all of you once I start reading.

Thanks again
-D
Old October 18, 2006, 11:45 PM   #13
DWARREN123

I just started in August. I purchased Lee's ABC's of reloading and a Lee Anniversary Kit. I got dies (Lee), powder, primers and bullets, used fired factory Federal brass. I started slow and easy but have shifted up a couple of notches.
The main reason I started was similar to yours, 32 H&R magnum and basically only Federal loaded decent ammo for it. Ammo was expensive in that I was paying from $10 to $11 for SWC and $12 to $13 for JHP, this is for 20 rounds.
I now reload some hot rounds for my Ruger SP-101 w/4" barrel and 1894CB Marlin rifle and they seem to like it that way.
It has become a hobby in its own right and I find I am having much fun "saving" money.
Old October 19, 2006, 02:32 AM   #14
Diggers

DWARREN, I saw your post on the .32 mag thread in the revo. section.
Seems almost mandatory to reload your own if you have a revolver and a rifle in .32 mag Thats pretty cool.
I bet you can make up some pretty sweet loads that are way better than factory ammo.