The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 19, 2006, 01:43 PM   #1
Ranger Al
Senior Member
Join Date: January 21, 2006
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 112
trespassing onto private property???

Here is the deal...

In California we only have National Forest and alot of those National forest are within private property. I guessed there are private properties within the national forest. There are time where I've spotted legal deer (very rare around here) next to private property and affraid to take a shot at him. I know he would take off and die onto the private property (again, the people who own these property hated hunters) and I would be entering their property without their permission. Then again if I go to their home and knock onto their door to let them know a deer drop deer onto their property, they'll be freaken out cause I shot their pet!

Anyone know the rule of such where a guy have to make an effort to retrieve his kill in Ca???


Ranger Al is offline  
Old November 19, 2006, 05:18 PM   #2
The Terminator
Senior Member
Join Date: February 3, 2002
Location: Georgia, 35 miles Northwest of the armpit
Posts: 946
Sorry about your dilemma, don't know the rules for Cali. Here in Ga, you can track a wounded deer onto private or posted property, if it is legally shot with a gun or bow, and strays onto said property. It is illegal to let the animal wander off while wounded without making a reasonable effort to find it.

We have a lot of guys around who, for a fee, bring dogs to track your deer down when it is shot and runs off and you can't find it.

Best - Ted
The Terminator
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
The Terminator is offline  
Old November 19, 2006, 06:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: January 15, 2006
Posts: 132
Illegal to keep wild animals as pets in CA.
ferg is offline  
Old November 19, 2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Ranger Al
Senior Member
Join Date: January 21, 2006
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 112
Thats what I though... but there are people who go out of their way to buy grain or hay and left it on their property so they could have deer feeding onto their property. They don't have horse or cattle on the property. Of course the deer know very well they are protected on this property and come to the national forest for cover after they feed. I guessed I'll just have to waite till they come back from their feeding ground and away from the private lands..

thanks for your input..

Ranger Al
Ranger Al is offline  
Old November 19, 2006, 06:36 PM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: August 13, 2005
Posts: 466
I would get between Deer and the private property if possible and use enough gun to quote Mr Ruark, so it is DRT.
Better the man suspected of being a fool keep his mouth shut, than to open it and remove all doubt.
Foxman is offline  
Old November 19, 2006, 10:06 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff Lead
Join Date: November 13, 1998
Location: Terlingua, TX; Thomasville, GA
Posts: 24,126
Best to check with the Calif. game folks. There might even be a law which says you're obligated to follow a wounded animal to wherever it finally stops. I dunno...

You're from BATFE? Come right in! I use all your fine products!
Art Eatman is offline  
Old November 19, 2006, 10:26 PM   #7
Senior Member
Join Date: April 18, 2005
Location: Endless Mts,NEPA
Posts: 379
Ask for permission to retrieve the deer from the land owner. If they refuse, that's when you bring in the CA game wardens. They will be able to get your deer for you.

They may also have something to say about their feeding of the game. Many game dep'ts frown on this due to CWD.
MEDDAC19 is offline  
Old November 19, 2006, 10:27 PM   #8
Senior Member
Join Date: November 12, 2005
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 106
not that the law will always make sense

In Texas, we have a law that says you MUST make every effort to retrieve an animal you have shot, that it is "an offense" to just let it lie and waste the meat.

We ALSO have a law that makes it illegal tresspass to go onto private property without the landowner's permission, even to trail a wounded game animal.

So, we have to be careful not to hunt too close to property lines, and be ready for second shots if a deer heads for the boundary line.
The Second Amendment - America's ORIGINAL Homeland Security
ArcherAndShooter is offline  
Old November 20, 2006, 12:44 AM   #9
Junior member
Join Date: March 31, 2006
Posts: 1,528
[QUOTE][/We ALSO have a law that makes it illegal tresspass to go onto private property without the landowner's permission, even to trail a wounded game animal.QUOTE]

Same here.
You need to read your game rules booklet and/or call you fish and game dept. There will undoubtedly be different laws in different states.
rem33 is offline  
Old November 20, 2006, 12:57 AM   #10
Senior Member
Join Date: November 18, 2004
Posts: 1,446
Mn law allows you to trespass onto private posted property for the immediate purpose of retrieving dead or wounded wild game. you must make an effort to be "direct" about it, but otherwise you are clear.
guntotin_fool is offline  
Old November 20, 2006, 09:19 AM   #11
Junior member
Join Date: May 31, 2004
Location: The Toll Road State, U.S.A.
Posts: 12,451
Check your state rules, but in my state it's not a problem. If the game you shot legally runs onto private property, and your tracking trail leads you there, the procedure is contact the landowner if possible, tell him that you intend to go onto the land to get your game. 99% chance, he/she will say "fine". If the landowner refuses, or if you cannot find the landowner, get the game warden, and he will force the landowner to let you retrieve your game, or escort you on and off to find the game (although the GW *may* want to see your blood trail crossing the property line, proving that you shot it elsewhere).
FirstFreedom is offline  
Old November 21, 2006, 12:26 PM   #12
Senior Member
Join Date: February 24, 2006
Location: Adirondack Park, upstate NY north of Utica
Posts: 385
Laws for NY~

In NY you can't go on someones property even if you can see the deer from the edge. Also game wardens can't unless the owner gives them permission to... Course in NY its illegal to feed deer period, and someone said they use a dog to follow the trail! yeah, wouldn't fly here, you'd be in jail in no time... Laws are messed up in NY, we still have the assualt ban think I'm gonna end up moving before I start a family...
got me a little lady, the gun buying has come to an end, sigh
biglabsrule is offline  
Old November 21, 2006, 01:03 PM   #13
Junior member
Join Date: May 28, 2002
Location: Idaho
Posts: 917
In idaho you can get your game if it's on private property. It's a good idea to let the landowner know what you're doing, and if there is a problem we're supposed to call F&G or the sheriffs office who will then show up and monitor your finding your game.

The Kalifornia info on tresspasing is here

TRESPASING: If the land you hunt on is not your own, it belongs to someone else.
Make sure you have a legal right to be there. Contact the owner or person who administers the property, and secure written permission to hunt. A hunting license does not entitle you to enter private property.
“It is unlawful to enter any lands under cultivation or enclosed by a fence, belonging to, or occupied by, another, or to enter any uncultivated or unenclosed lands, including lands temporarily inundated by waters flowing outside the established banks of a river, stream, slough, or other waterway, where signs forbidding trespass are displayed at intervals not less than three to the mile along all exterior boundaries and at all roads and trails entering such lands, for the purpose of discharging any firearm or taking or
destroying any mammal or bird, including any waterfowl, on such lands without having first obtained written permission from the owner of such lands, or his agent, or the person in lawful possession thereof. Such signs may be of any size and wording, other than the wording required for signs under Section 2017, which will fairly advise persons about to
enter the land that the use ot such land is so restricted.” (FGC 2016)
rick_reno is offline  
Old November 26, 2006, 12:23 PM   #14
Senior Member
Join Date: September 8, 2005
Location: South Texas
Posts: 805
Your best bet would be to call the game warden before entering someone elses property if you don't have permission. If you can't get ahold of one, call the local sheriff's office and they should be able to help you out. At least to let them know the situation before entering the land in case it does turn into a problem. If you can first get ahold of the land owner and get permission, that would be ideal. It is sometimes hard to run one down though. Most land owners are not going to have a problem, but some will.
trooper3385 is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2017 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.07455 seconds with 9 queries