The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 28, 2000, 02:04 PM   #1
jtduncan

My most accurate and reliable load yet for my Glock 30 in .45 ACP.

230 grain Rainier JHP
4.8 grains of W231 - starting point for FMJ not lead
1.26" OAL or thereabouts

Yielded me sub one inch groups (10 shots per group) at 25 yards out of a combat handgun!

If you're looking for a good .45 ACP powder and have a Glock 30, 36, or a 21, I've tried almost all of them and I'm sticking with W231 for my .45 ACP and 9mm.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG
Old October 28, 2000, 04:39 PM   #2
CCV

Another good one for the G30 is Nosler's 185 grain JHP over 5.3 grains of Hodgdon's TiteGroup loaded to a 1.225" OAL. This load has worked well for me.

[This message has been edited by CCV (edited October 28, 2000).]
Old October 30, 2000, 01:50 PM   #3
Dimitri

Heavy bullet and fast burning powder. That's the way Glocks blow apart. They have an oversized breech with a deep cut feed ramp. The brass stretches, fatigues with resizing and then blows at the point in the feed ramp where it's not supported.

Glock voids its warranty if the gun has been used to shoot reloaded ammo. I got rid of my Glock and opted for "one of those nickel plated sissy guns."
Old October 30, 2000, 05:31 PM   #4
Reg

Thanks for the info on accurate, reliable reloads for the G30.
I just picked up a G30 during lunch today (found a deal too good to pass up). I'm looking forward to working up loads for it.
Are there any specific bullets that the G30 does NOT like? (especially from West Coast, Berry's or Rainier... cause this is where I normally buy from)
Are there any problems with the Glock .45's, unsupported chambers, and reloads with heavy bullets?
I know there were problems with some reloads using heavy bullets in the .40 caliber Glocks, but I hadn't heard anything about the .45's??
Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Old October 30, 2000, 10:16 PM   #5
9x45

sub 1" groups? at 25 yards? from a combat handgun? you left out from a Ransom rest, and a 2 shot group, measured edge to edge, not centered. You do sub 1" groups out of a holster at 25 yards, and you are an IPSC Grand Master, at least. What are you leaving out of this story? Come on, sub one inch groups from a G30..... How long have you been shooting, really