The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 27, 2008, 12:12 AM   #126
platform

C9 Compensated

Very reliable sofar

I had a previous C9 compensated, I incorrectly put it back together after a cleanup, and the slide started biting
the compensator. That caused the slide to actually break (but nothing flew out) I think because the slide was not
moving back exactly straight (since the compensator was
biting on one side)

Hi Point replaced the whole firearm (including the frame)
with new one, no questions asked.

The new one has curved grip (while my old one did not)
and yellow sights (the previous one had red sights)

Zero failures, I like the trigger (it is short reset, short takeup).

Somewhat difficult to slide if you do not have good upper
body strength

The gun should not be carried or holstered ever.
(because heavy and large slide may move during reholster)

Other than that and the looks, it is very good, accurate and reliable weapon.

it feeds reliably more variety of ammo than
other guns in my experience:

as an example it feeds CCI Blazer Alumnum 9mm ammo
while the same ammo fails on STI LS9 (750$ gun)

I do not see why it cannot be used as a night-stand
gun with one in the chamber and safety on.

I would recommend also NOT to strip it for cleaning
Instead use a bore snake and CLP and that will be enough for a couple of thousands of rounds.
Old October 29, 2008, 05:11 PM   #127
dgludwig

Quote:
For me, the "Planet of the Apes" look kinda grew on me...lol.
OoohLaaLaa, I liked that apegirl too!
Old October 30, 2008, 05:27 AM   #128
CajunBass

Ok. It's six am and I'm waiting for the sun to come up so I can go squirrel hunting, and I see this "Hi-Point thread" here. These are usually pretty entertaining so I started reading it. Man this thing is OLD.

WAY back in the begining I noticed someone called my name, and apparently I never replied to it.
Quote:
CajunBass is your man.
Well, I'm no expet on anything, but I do have a Hi-Point, C-9. It's been a couple of years since I shot it, but I do have it. Right now it's being used as my "truck gun," something that I never thought I'd have, but I can't carry at work, and I don't want to leave a Colt Commander, or a Smith & Wesson 19 in unsecured parking lot, even in a locked vehicle. So, the Hi-Point gets the job. I guess that means, I "carry" it. (Note. The above is to establish, that I do in fact own other, much nicer guns. I didn't just fall off a 'tater truck' yesterday.)

I was motivated to get a Hi-Point, a long time ago, after reading what a piece of junk they are on the internet. I didn't think anything could be THAT bad, so, since the Hi-Point was cheap, I got one (a C-9) to find out for myself.

Ok, it's no Model 19, or a Colt Peacemaker, for looks first off, but it's not much worse looking than a lot of other polymer framed handguns today. Let's face it, Glocks and XD's ain't exactly Peacemakers either. It's actually pretty comfortable to me, not too big, or small. It has a solid heft to it that I like.

My thought was that a lot of people who buy these thing will NEVER shoot them. They want a gun for home protection and they either can't afford or don't want to spend more money for something they don't plan to ever use. They're going to buy the gun, a "box of bullets" load it, and stick it in the sock drawer. Now they have a gun, and they feel safer.

So I wondered, just how would this cheap, somewhat ugly gun do right out of the box? Not wanting to wait a few years, the best I could do was to take the gun right out of the box and shoot it. I got a box of the cheapest FMJ ammo the store had, walked around back to their range and loaded the magazine, chambered a round, took aim and ripped off 8 shots without a bobble. All 8 shots hit about where I had aimed, or as close as I would have expected to hit with another gun. Test one passed to my satisfaction.

Over the next year or so, I shot that C-9 a lot. I think it went about 600 rounds before it had a malfunction. It jammed for some reason. I cleared the jam and kept shooting. At some point, when my wife was shooting it, she experience about four malfunctions in one box of "range reloads." It may have been ammo related for all I know because it never did it again. Maybe she limp wristed it, she's had carpel tunnel surgery on both hands.

After I'd put about 2,000 rounds through the gun, I got sort of bored with it. All it did was shoot, and shoot pretty well. I "retired" it to the bottom of the gun collection and moved on.

But when I needed a "truck gun," I didn't hesitate to grab it. I have as much confidence in it as a I do any gun I own.

Sorry for the long ramble, but it's still dark out.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 4, 2008, 07:38 PM   #129
smaj100

Cf380

I recently purchased a used hi-point 380 for my wife to learn to shoot with. I've been around guns all my life but she had never been near or even held one until then.

We had some FTE issues in the beginning but I chalked that up to it was used or messed with. After a few hundred rounds I decided it was time to send it back. I sent it to beemiller they had it back to me in less than one week fixed, cleaned, lubed and with a free mag.

She has fired over 500rnds of different brands through it. She loves the gun. She shoots it better than I do with the ghost ring sight installed. I would be more than happy to by other guns by them. Not only are they affordable I feel like they are very reliable. They aren't the prettiest guns to look at, but I'm not in the habit of buying guns for how they look in a case or on the wall.

Hope this helps someone decide to not avoid them for the bad rap they have gotten.
Old November 7, 2008, 08:40 PM   #130
PhoenixConflagration

I'm new to gun ownership. I have a C9. The only other gun I've shot is my friend's kel-tec .380 (teeny-tiny thing). I read extensively about the HP before getting it, and here's why I did:
After years of thinking guns were just something other people dealt with, I decided it was time for me to get serious about protecting myself and my wife. It's a dangerous world. I looked at guns in the under $100 range and the only one that anyone had anything good to say about was the C9. I knew what I was getting. An entry-level, starkly utilitarian handgun that had reasonable reliability for its bargain price. I knew it wasn't going to be my last gun, only my first. Someone else made a good point about the gun on your dresser always being better than the gun still in the store. That was my reasoning. The C9 will always be in my nightstand. Why not, it works. As for CC, it's just so damn wide/thick. I'm looking at a quality mid-range gun (Taurus-KahrCW-Glock-XD) with a narrower profile for CC, but meanwhile I'm protected until I can save up for one.
Old November 7, 2008, 09:00 PM   #131
Buzzard

This is an old thread , but I will add my 2cents.
I have a 9MM and also a JHP .45 ...LOVE THEM both. They shoot where I aim and hit what I shoot at. Never had a stumble with either one.
I carry a KelTec P11 in my front pocket every day but when I take my quad out you can bet I have one of the Hi-Points in my back pocket.
Old November 17, 2008, 06:51 AM   #132
avello

hipoint 9mm carbine and the hipoint 40 S&Wcarbine

can the ATI stock be used for the 9mm and the 40 S&W
Old November 17, 2008, 07:29 AM   #133
BADMAN400

No. At this time the ATI stock is only available for the 995 (9mm) version.

Last I heard, there were still no plans to make one for the 4095 (40).
Old November 17, 2008, 10:36 AM   #134
ilbob

I recently bought a HP 45. I didn't get to shoot it as much as I wanted to last week before bullseye league, but so far my impressions are:

Pros:
Cheap
Went bang every time
No failures (only wolf ammo so far)
Consistent trigger
DAO

Cons:
It is big, bulky, and heavy, won't even fit in a P85 holster.
No slide release lever
Clunky safety
I wish the rear sight had a wider slot in it
Mushy trigger
DAO
magazine safety
instruction manual does not mention how to adjust the sights. I can probably figure it out but it seems an odd omission.

As big as it is, I sort of expected no recoil at all, but there was some. Not any worse than a 1911. The recoil seemed kind of slow to me.

It came with a bag labeled "ghost ring sight". If I get a chance I will try it tomorrow. It also came with a goofy looking lock of some sort that I won't be using.

All in all, for $160.88, not too bad.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old November 25, 2008, 02:30 PM   #135
avello

I just bought a the 9mm carbine and the 40 s&w carbine can the can the handgun cilps fit in the carbines
Old November 25, 2008, 02:49 PM   #136
BADMAN400

Nope. However, IIRC the rifle mags will fit the C-9 pistol.
Old November 29, 2008, 12:37 AM   #137
avello

I just bought some 9mm luger rounds can they work im the 9mm carbine
Old November 29, 2008, 05:47 AM   #138
BADMAN400

Yes.
Old November 29, 2008, 02:21 PM   #139
Lashlarue

A year ago I purchased a 995 RD[red dot]took it to the range put 100 rds thru it with no problems except the accuracy could have been better. I had already ordered the ATI stock and laserlyte laser, the following week I went back to the range and was shooting 3" groups off hand at 25yds.It was then I decided to research the materials used in the carbine. The barrel was steel, 4140 just like any higher priced carbine. The action was cast zamak3 but inserted into the action was a 4140 boltface. The firing pin and ejector was heat treated steel.The original stock is flimsy and offers little support.In simple terms all the wear areas were high quality steel.No wonder the owners love these little carbines and the factory is back ordered for months.The original forum is down and looks like it's not coming back, but this one has many of the same members.http://hipointtalk.com/viewforum.php...0cb431302cf116
Old December 16, 2011, 05:25 PM   #140
just me

I cant help but laugh when i see the glock nuts run down cheaper guns.
I know nothing about hi point, but Ill put a sigma or almost any other
up with the glock block. most all the people that turn their nose up to anything but the block dont even have anything else.
but my buddy does. and he hates it.
if you want a gun and cant buy a brick, then get what you can afford.
whar ever flots your boat.
Old December 16, 2011, 05:45 PM   #141
aarondhgraham

I recently purchased the 9mm Carbine with tactical stock,,,

The little gun hasn't jammed once or malfunctioned in any way,,,
I have over 250 rounds through it so far.

It's a fun little carbine that will be nothing more than a range toy,,,
But I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up if someone came in my house with bad intent.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old December 16, 2011, 06:08 PM   #142
tahunua001

when this thread was started I had yet to graduate high school.
when this thread was started 5 of my 6 neices and nephews had not been born yet.
when this thread was started, the only gun in my collection was a glenfield 60
when this thread was started I had yet to bag my first deer.
when this thread was started I had yet to use an internet connection faster than dialup.

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!
Old December 16, 2011, 06:29 PM   #143
K_Mac

just me, I see this is your first post here. Welcome to the forum.

Any cursory glance at this board will show you that Hi-Point discussions almost always go bad. That this thread is still around since the Reagan administration is an anomaly. If you have a question, problem, or range report you are good to go, but to resurrect a 5 1/2 year old thread on a weapon you admittedly know nothing about just to stir the pot seems a little suspect to me. Just my opinion.
Old December 16, 2011, 08:21 PM   #144
WildBill45

My actions speak louder than my words.

Actions speak louder than words!!!

Here are a few videos I did with my HI-POINT .45 right out of the box, not cleaned, and still not cleaned!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLp1wIIHY-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddOBfWnoOiw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Ch_IQg-io

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN0KbLYczYQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwj9rT1Qgug

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"

Last edited by WildBill45; December 16, 2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: add sentence
Old December 16, 2011, 10:39 PM   #145
Buckeye!

I was in my LGS a couple of weeks ago ..he had over a dozen Hi-Point C9's in the bottom shelf of a display case ...and he told me he had more in the back ...125.00 OTD is what he was asking..they were all gone today including those in the back.....that says alot.
I've owned several Hi-Points in the past....all worked well..no complaints from me.....
Old December 17, 2011, 12:17 AM   #146
Cheapshooter

Like to see the positive Hi-Point posts!!! Especially those from the Hi-Point "Guru" WildBill45.
I have 9MMs from Beretta, Walther, Star, and others, but really enjoy shooting my C9. Very happy with it considering that I bought it just to see if it was the POS that the H-Pointaphobes claim it is. They're wrong, MYTH BUSTED!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 22, 2012, 07:23 PM   #147
Chane

Funny how the most negative comments about Hi Points seem to come from dealers or ex-dealers of firearms versus actual owners who have more trigger time on a Hi Point. I wonder how much of this Hi Point negativity comes from the fact that a lower priced firearm can't get as much of a mark up as a higher priced one. A $700 Kimber might have a $200 dollar "float" between the price paid by the dealer and the final price to the seller. $200 profit to the dealer.

A Hi Point on the other hand would do well to generate $40 in profit for a dealer. If they come from Hi Point for $130 or so, you can't exactly turn around and charge $250 for one and expect to sell it.

I'm sure that a lot of dealers see Hi Point purchases as "wasted time" when they might have "eased" a buyer into a "real firearm"--and not coincidentally made more money for themselves.
Old September 23, 2012, 12:10 PM   #148
dgludwig

Six years ago, the op was wringing his hands over whether to get a Hi-Point and as to the merits and liabilities of the pistol. My guess is that he made his decision a very long time ago.
Old September 23, 2012, 05:31 PM   #149
hardhat harry

We sold every gun at XXteen % markup. Didn't matter, NAA .22mag, Hi-Point, or SCAR, each one was xxteen%. Almost no one came in shopping and ended up buying a Hi-Point, they came in to buy a Hi-Point, they already knew it was cheap. So, we spent LESS time selling Hi-Points than some guy who looked at this Colt, that Sig, then the RIA, then back to the Colt. We could sell 5 Hi-Points in the time it took to sell something else. On the other hand, we had more 4473 delays and rejects on Hi-Point sales than the higher end guns. Didn't matter to us, a legal sale was a legal sale...money in the drawer.
Old September 24, 2012, 05:31 PM   #150
osbornk

Hardhat Harry: That's exactly how I bought my C9 Hi-Point. I went in and asked for the C9 I had seen for $169 but happened to see a slightly used one for $125 just past it. I didn't look at any other pistols and I was out the door in about 10 minutes. I did the same thing when I bought my Phoenix HP-22 at the same store.
Closed Thread