The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old July 4, 2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Captain38

"Replacement Guns" Article in August 2006 Issue

by Duane Thomas was a well thought-out and enjoyable read. He suggests identical "shoot one, carry one" models but in my opinion the two firearms need not be the very same model in every instance to incorporate all the advantages he mentions.

For example, when I go to the range I always take a pair of Glocks in the same caliber (possibly a G34 and a G17, a G35 and a G22 or a G21 and a G30) which are similar in every way with the exception of barrel length and magazine capacity. The manual of arms is identical, all the controls are alike, they have the same weight connectors and trigger springs, etc. and the larger capacity mags can be used in both the larger and smaller pistols. That way I've always got a back-up or "Plan B" ready in the event of mechanical difficulty that might otherwise ruin my day. Besides, duplicates just aren't as much fun as having something just a smidgen different in the inventory.

Last edited by Captain38; July 4, 2006 at 04:07 PM.
Captain38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2006, 05:19 PM   #2
E5MC

Please tell me Duane Thomas will not be a regular in SWAT.:barf:
Old August 26, 2006, 07:05 PM   #3
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Each article, regardless of the by-line, is accepted or rejected on the article's content. The article on back-up guns met our strict requirements.

Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2006, 11:43 AM   #4
KSFreeman

SWAT printing an article on the wisdom of multiple copies of the same weapon? (Except it should be at least 4 copies--1 to shoot, 1 in the safe, 1 at the gunsmith, 1 hidden off your property).

I assume I should feel pride, but, man, how many is this that have been lifted from my posts at TFL/THR. Oh, well, anything for the cause. It's not like I was saying anything new.

KSFreeman/El Tejon--the choice of gun writers everywhere.
Old August 27, 2006, 12:22 PM   #5
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

On the other hand, Kirk, I've seen quite a few threads started about a subject a few weeks after S.W.A.T. (and others) hit the newsstands.

Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2006, 09:40 AM   #6
Mikke

Quote:
On the other hand, Kirk, I've seen quite a few threads started about a subject a few weeks after S.W.A.T. (and others) hit the newsstands.
I've noticed the same, though they usually pop up a week or two before I get the issue.

And yes, I'm now considering getting another CZ-75, of course I would claim that it is to be able to shoot 5" fixed sight PPC with (my present one have adjustable sights).
Mikke is offline   Reply With Quote