The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 17, 2000, 11:59 PM   #1
Mylhouse

Do any of you use RCBS or Lee (or whatever) carbide dies in your 550 instead of the Dillon dies? I noticed that Dillon's 3-die set run about $50, whereas the RCBS carbide 3-die sets go for about $30. Hey, if I can save $20 per caliber, and get the same quality, why not?
Old September 18, 2000, 01:11 AM   #2
Chris McDermott

Dillon dies have the quick disassembly cleaning feature; probably the reason for the higher price. Lee dies are usually the cheapest, but are typically shorter than other maker's dies. To use them in a Dillon press it's usually necessary to put the lock ring UNDER the die plate. RCBS makes dies for everything, and will even make dies for your own custom wildcat design if you are willing to pay the price.
I prefer Redding Pro Titanium carbide dies for my pistol reloding as they come with seperate seating & crimping dies; and have the Redding Profile Crimp dies for revolver calibers that need to be roll-crimped. They aren't cheap, but your reloading dies will probably outlast you.
Old September 18, 2000, 02:38 AM   #3
char923

I use Dillon and RCBS dies, I like them both. I like the Dillon a little better because of the quick disassembly cleaning feature. speciality when reload with lead bullets.
Old September 18, 2000, 08:55 AM   #4
Jack Straw

The dies on my 550 are a mix of Dillon and Lee dies. Like Chris said, the lock ring on the Lee dies must be put under the toolhead, but otherwise they work just fine.

Jack
Old September 18, 2000, 09:03 AM   #5
Watchman

You can use anybodys dies in the Dillon.

I used to use RCBS and Lee and Lyman but after a period of time I went exclusivley to Dillon dies . Why ? Because they are made for a progressive press. They work better.

Example: The decapping die has a much bigger radius on the mouth than any other die. AS a result , you dont have to guide the bullet into the die like you do with most brands.Its easier and quicker.

I like the bullet seater die. Same thing.
I like the taper crimp dies. Much stronger and more consistent than a roll crimp.

IF you already have the dies and want to save the money, use what you have.

IF you are buying the dies new...spend the extra money and buy the Dillon dies. You wont be sorry you did.
Old September 18, 2000, 11:00 AM   #6
Alan B

I use dillion pistol dies ( if the caliber is available) and LEE rifle dies.

Chris, Jack
for the lee dies take the lock ring off and put it back on the die upside down and you can put it in top of the tool head.
Old September 18, 2000, 12:20 PM   #7
JHS

I am working on a 550b deal now. So with the Dillon dies, do I need a factory crimp die also?
Old September 18, 2000, 01:04 PM   #8
EQP

JHS,

What caliber are you going to be reloading for?

Evan
Old September 18, 2000, 05:08 PM   #9
jtduncan

Use Lee carbide dies all of the time - just flip the Lee lock nuts upside down and they lock the die down real tight!

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG
Old September 18, 2000, 07:01 PM   #10
slickpuppy

I only use Redding dies in my 550. I have 2 sets of Dillon dies, but found the Reddings to be unbeatable and so nicely made it would be a travesty to use anything else
Old September 18, 2000, 11:56 PM   #11
El Rojo

I bought .308 and .30-06 Dillon dies, then .30 carbine was Lee, and .45 and .40 are Hornady. They all work fine for the RL 550B. I had a guy give me some RCBS 9mm dies, but I haven't gotten around to trying them out yet. I am satisfied with them all. For reloading cheap pistol loads, why spend an arm and a leg?
Old September 19, 2000, 12:42 AM   #12
ol blue

For the pistols I like the Dillon dies, for all the reasons previously stated. For my .308 my Forster b.r. dies work just fine in the 550. (something I was a little concerned about when I got the 550, because of the moving chamber design of the Forster seater)...ol blue
Old September 19, 2000, 06:03 PM   #13
johnwill

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JHS:
So with the Dillon dies, do I need a factory crimp die also?[/quote]

Nope. The Dillon die sets have a crimp die, and they work just fine. Most of my pistol dies are Dillon.