The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 12, 2000, 08:39 PM   #1
Ray HP

I am in the process of buying reloading equipment. A scale is the next item that I plan on buying and would like some suggestions. I plan on reloading 9mm, .45 and 30-06.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old August 12, 2000, 09:06 PM   #2
doctor j

Ray HP, I've got a Midway Quick Draw electronic scale which I bought a few months ago. It does a good job. Also, I have an old Ohaus 5-0-5 scale I bought about 20 years ago, and it still does well. It is quite reassuring to me that they agree with each other on weights . I find the electronic scale to be a bit faster and easier to use, and it has a larger range than my old balance beam (5-0-5).

If you don't already have a powder measure, I would recommend that you get one. The measure makes the 9mm and .45 loading go a little faster and easier. doctor j
Old August 12, 2000, 09:10 PM   #3
BIGR

Ray I have had good luck with RCBS scales.Years ago I started out with the RCBS 505 scales, then moved up to the RCBS 10-10 scales and now love my electronic scales.The 10-10 scales seemed to be well made and had the magnets on each side of the balance beam to slow down the up and down motion of the balance beam. I usually set that scale up to double check my electronic scale.I am not saying that I don't have faith in the electronic scale but the theory I have always had about reloading is that you can never be too carefull. The electronic scale will get the weight of the powder down to the precise amount. Thats what I like when I load all my rifle loads including some 30-.06 rounds. If you go for an electronic scale also check out the PACT electronic scale, because if I am not badly mistaken their scale is identical to the RCBS scale and may even be cheaper. Good luck in your choice.
Old August 13, 2000, 06:23 AM   #4
slickpuppy

I have a Dillon dterminator electronic scale and it works well.

But, check out the RCBS electronic scale system. That sucker looks pretty slick rigged up to the electric powder trickler. Heard a lot of great things about it.

I have been thinking about picking up one of the RCBS rigs and replacing the Dillon unit.
Old August 13, 2000, 08:41 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

Any scale (I use a RCBS 505) but get a "Scale Weight Check Set", and use it EVERY TIME you start a new load.

Safety First (you know, like wearing safety glasses EVERY TIME you touch something on your load bench).

.....and have fun!.....

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old August 13, 2000, 04:33 PM   #6
Paul B.

Ray HP. I use the RCBS electronic scale. Very fast, very accurate, but it is wind sensitive. I load in a shed and in the Arizona summer, I use an A/C unit that i just installed. I used a fan before. Just your breath will make it move. Other than that, I think it is great. I also have several balance beam scales, some very old. They work, but are slow. The balance beam type are not quite so wind sensitive, so if you need to use a fan for cooling, they might be better for you.
Paul B.
Old August 14, 2000, 05:13 PM   #7
Fisher

Ray, I have the RCBS set up that was mentioned above. With the electronic pounder dump/trickler and the electronic scale it makes reloading a lot simpler. All you have to do is set your load in memory then you're ready to go. Every time you hit the despense button all you have to do is wait. The down side is the cost. At the time I bought mine both units together cost me around $300.

Some people get the scale first and add the powder dump later. This allows them to spread the cost out a little bit. Either way you will enjoy reloading whether you go electronic or not.
Old August 15, 2000, 06:38 PM   #8
Bruce Dane

The previous recommendation for a scale and a powder measure is the way to go. A balance beam scale is economical and plenty accurate enough – plus or minus 0.1 grains - for the pistol and rifle calibers you want to load. It is a precision instrument. Keep it clean and don't knock it around and it will last forever. Use it to calibrate your powder measure and to check every 10 – 20 charges you drop thereafter, just to make sure your powder measure is adding the right amount. I use Redding equipment and can certainly recommend it, but all the major manufacturers make quality scales and powder measures. As mentioned, wear safety glasses, work carefully and consistently and have fun!