The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2000, 02:19 PM   #1
MAD DOG

I have heard of this, and seen the results, but have no idea as to how to do it myself.
I am interested in paper patching some smaller bullets up to .458 caliber.
Anyone with experience at this please help me out.
thanks,
Mad Dog
Old August 1, 2000, 09:31 PM   #2
JimWolford

Mad:

Check around for a book " The Paper Jacketed Bullet" I think the author is named Matthews but not sure.

The book will tell you more than you really wanted to know about making paper patch bullets.

It is dead simple to do, but a bit lengthy to explain, Did you ever roll your own cigarettes?

Basically you wrap the bullet with two layers of paper, twist the paper together at the base of the bullet, and load it into your cartrige.

Kind of paper, how thick, exactly how to wrap it, etc. all covered in the book.

Paper patch bullets are great for one specific use- hunting ammo in single shot ( or double barrel ) black powder rifles.

You can use pure lead, which is best for expansion, without fear of leading the bore.

Some work has been done by people trying to use paper patch bullets at modern velocities, but it was not too successful.

I have used paper patch bullets some, years ago, when making ammo for the big British express rifles. It works quite nicely as long as you keep the velocity under 2,000 fps which is not a problem when using black powder.

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be
Old August 2, 2000, 09:13 AM   #3
RobCon

The author is Paul Matthews. I find paper patching tedious, but then I have a low tolerance for frustration. Paul has written a nifty book on the .45-70 as well.
Old August 2, 2000, 10:54 AM   #4
Paul B.

Robcon. Matthews also has a book out called SIXTY YEARS WITH RIFLES. I just finished re-reading it the other day. If you haven't read it, you should. He's a pretty good writer. I have his 45-70 book as well. Both versions.
Paul B.