The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 19, 2006, 06:38 PM   #1
GunSafe

Sig Sauer Mosquito Sucks.

A few months ago, my wife and I set out to find a pistol that she could shoot. She was intimidated by my Beretta 92FS, so we settled on the Sig Sauer Mosquito. Sig’s reputation is very respectable and we really liked the look of the gun. The Mosquito fit both of our hands quite well so we ended up getting it.

From day one the Mosquito was a real lemon. No matter what brand of ammo we shot or what spring we had in it, it would jam or mis-feed 2 to 3 times per 10 round magazine. My wife and I are very frustrated, especially since the Mosquito is at least $100 more than most comparable .22 pistols. I keep the pistol clean but the malfunctions continued.

Our last visit to the range was the last straw. After jamming it’s usual every other round, the safety malfunctioned. The safety now rotates 360 degrees. Since the safety is such and integral part of the pistol, we immediately stop shooting and cleared the weapon and put it away. Next week we are taking it to the warranty center to have it repaired and cleaned by a gunsmith. However, if the problems continue we will pursue recourse through Sig.

The bottom line is DO NOT purchase this pistol if you want a reliable .22 that shoots straight and doesn’t jam regularly. I really regret buying the Mosquito. I have also talked to other Mosquito owners and the problems seem to be the norm with this pistol. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of the Sig Sauer Mosquito.

Shane
Old July 19, 2006, 08:01 PM   #2
Te Anau

The Mosquito is a sorry excuse for a gun.Sig really blew it.It and Walthers P22 are $100.00 guns selling for $300.00 or more.Its too bad you didnt catch the bad news here or elsewhere before you purchased it.A Beretta Neos is a hundred times better gun for a lot less $$$
Old July 19, 2006, 08:12 PM   #3
NINE

I have heard and read many bad reviews and experiences with this particular model. It's very disappointing, as it is a hot looking lil gun.

Get a Ruger!
Old July 19, 2006, 08:22 PM   #4
Tom2

Ruger

Well, once again, sounds like another endorsement for the little Ruger .22 auto. They are heavy and don't handle like any other modern auto, so the training you get with it is just basic marksmanship. Be nice if it was a similiar layout to a centerfire auto, then you would not have to practice with different handling regimens to transfer your skills to the centerfire pistols. But the ones I have had go bang everytime, unless something is damaged(usually magazines). That can happen with a used one, as sometimes they get abused and disregarded as "only a .22". At least they have the heft of a centerfire auto.
Old July 19, 2006, 08:28 PM   #5
News Shooter

I have one

It had some issues at the beginning..I sent it back to Sig...narrowed down the right ammo and it is a great plinking gun
don't believe all the negative stuff you read
Old July 19, 2006, 08:43 PM   #6
870 wingmaster

I have had the sig mosquito for 6 months now and mine shoots fine!!! I have heard all the storys about jamming and yes mine will misfeed with some ammo. The more I became familliar with it the better it got. Mine shoots cci mini mags,remington golden bullets in the bulk paks, remington thunderbolts,remington cyclones,remington vipers. My pistol loves remington anything in 22lr even remington subsonics!! It doesnt like the $$$ target loads or federal bulk paks,and winchester ammo. Try cci and remington ammo with the smaller slide spring and see what happens. Mine shoots like a champ on that stuff. Also in the box is two different sights for the front and I have found that it shoots high from the factory so I swithed it to the tallest one and is much better with it. Accuracy is good for the 3 dot combat sights it is designed for. It is not a match target gun like the browning buckmark, ruger markII or smith 41. I shoot 3 inch metal spinners at 25 yards pretty well with it. It is made to train with less cost for the 9mm sig 226,228 etc. It does well for that. I agree they should of used more quality materials in the pistol but sig gets a pretty penny for there name. Give it a little more time and see what it likes. Good luck!!!
Old July 19, 2006, 09:02 PM   #7
Alx

I have both the Mosqito and the Walther/Smith P22... the P22 is more reliable, handles more kinds of ammo, it actually fed fine on cheapy lead-nosed (unjacketed) hollow points from WalMart, Winchester. P-22 is more accurate, has a better trigger, especially double action first shot. Sig looks more lika real gun, P-22 looks like a P-99, in other words like a tactical wanna-be joke, but it shoots great. I have the shorty version, don't want that funny looking front thingy with the fake compensator cuts.
But the conversion kits by Beretta and especially Ciener, used on both my 92 FS frame, and the 96D, Dao, are the best for .22 LR .
'Still like best the 617 4" revolver.
Old July 20, 2006, 07:07 AM   #8
ATW525

Sucks to hear about your problems with the Mosquito, Shane. If you're looking for an alternative, my first suggestion is the Beretta 87. It costs more than a Sig or a Walther, but it's in a whole different league. Barring that, the .22 conversion kits for your current Beretta are a great investment, but the grip might be too large for your wife to handle comfortably.
Old July 20, 2006, 08:08 AM   #9
Fremmer

Sorry to hear about the problems w/ your gun.

If you decide to buy a different .22, consider a Browning Buckmark. Great gun!
Old July 20, 2006, 08:59 AM   #10
pdkflyguy

If you still want a good .22, get a Walter P22. It has some problems if you use crap ammo, but it's worked great for me for the past three years.
Walther P22 .22LR
Old July 20, 2006, 09:25 AM   #11
FirstFreedom

Sorry to hear that...

As always,

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...asp?value=006B
Old July 20, 2006, 01:06 PM   #12
Larry C.

Consider the 92FS..again

Howdy,

My wife is Asian 5'1 and about 118 lbs. After getting acclimated with my old Ruger SP101 in .22 LR, she easily graduated to my Beretta 92FS. She really warmed to the idea of trying it when I explained that a 9mm w/ 5-inch barrel AND HP ammo would be an excellent home-defense weapon for her too.
With her first 3 shots she knocked down 3 steel plates at 9 yds!
If you've got a big .357 (S&W 586 or Ruger GP100) put some mild .38 Sp. rounds in it and let her have a go. Back to the Beretta 92FS. As you know, it's a soft recoiling round and the pistols' weight helps tame recoil to boot.
Between my now deceased mother and my petite wife, it wasn't hard to sell them on learning to use a self-defense/Home-defense caliber. You are correct for trying to find a .22 to use as "training wheels", though. Look at Ruger's SP101.

Larry C.
Old July 20, 2006, 03:16 PM   #13
AK103K

Sorry to hear your having troubles with yours, and I hope you get it all worked out. Theres nothing more aggravating than a new gun that dont work.

I have both the SIG Mosquito and an early Walther P22, both have quite a few rounds through them now. Both have been reliable, fun little guns. Both have fed pretty much everything I've put in them, and I mostly just shoot some old Winchester Super X, which I have a lot of laying around.

As to the SIG and Walther in general, while I have seen a number of complaints on the different boards about problems with both pistols, it also seems that these threads fuel the people who dont like them, for whatever reason, and a lot of blabbering starts. What it usually boils down to is, when you weed out the non owners, non likers, and all the "I heards", there are usually more happy owners than unhappy.

“The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” - Joseph Heller
Old July 20, 2006, 05:28 PM   #14
Long-Goodbye

Tom2...the Ruger (at one point) had a variant called the 22/45 in that mark 2 w/a 1911 shaoed plastic handle.In my little squirell world its the most deadly accuaret thing around and it never......never.....never jams any ammo other than thunderbolts and to get it to jam w/those I have to forget to cleen it for a year...Ruger baby all the way,at least w/ a .22,I had a bud who had a S&W .22 cant remember the model and it was ALMOST as good as the Ruger.
Old July 21, 2006, 01:58 AM   #15
ksmash01

my mosquito...

shoots perfectly with mini mags, remington GB's , and PETERS .

pretty accurate(not compared to my buckmark).

the only thing i dislike about it is the lack of a spare, or 4 more spare mags .

i will be getting some soon.

ohh yeah and the finish sucks.....
Old July 21, 2006, 07:48 AM   #16
9mm1033

Sorry to hear about your gun problems...really. I know exactly how you feel. I bought a 22/45 on "reliable reputation". It malfunctioned and was returned for repair. I still have it and will keep it. It is now reliable, accurate and fun to shoot. I'm convinced it doesn't matter what the brand, style or price of the firearm, workmanship and quality control is on the decline. It's almost a crap-shoot. I'm sure Sig will repair it, but that is time away from the gun you purchased on good faith believing their product would perform.
Old July 21, 2006, 10:29 AM   #17
shooter_john

Just got rid of my Mosquito. I had problems much like yours when I bought it new, and I tried several different things over the next year to make it moderately reliable, but nothing ever worked to my satisfaction. I got rid of it at the last show.
Old July 21, 2006, 09:36 PM   #18
packa45

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have a Buckmark and a SW 22a that are both 100% reliable and accurate. The 22a has 3000 rounds (10 brands/styles of ammo) through it without a single malfunction so I'm happy. It's alot cheaper than a Sig as well.

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns.
Old March 17, 2008, 09:37 PM   #19
KS.45

It's a reliable gun now, just bought a Mosquito Sport produced in February this year (2008). Fires all .22 ammo I have put in so far.

Boxes of 50:

Rem. Yellow Jacket, Viper (1 fail to feed)
Fiocchi Performance (no jams)
CCI Stinger, Mag, Velocitor, SGB (1 fail to feed)

350 rds through the gun so far .. keeping it clean .. no problems. Accuracy is not competition grade, but I'm not competing in scored matches anyway. My groups are as close or closer than any of the other 4 pistols I own.

A Laser dot on the chest magically transcends all language barriers.
KS.45
Old March 18, 2008, 12:56 AM   #20
chris in va

Nice thread resurrection there. Only...1.5 years old?
Old March 19, 2008, 12:54 PM   #21
Te Anau

Quote:
ohh yeah and the finish sucks.....
Thats just a SIG being a SIG.
Old March 19, 2008, 01:48 PM   #22
AK103K

You boys must have different SIG's than I do. I have a bunch of them, and all of mine seem to be holding up very well, even those that I bought used, that were heavily used, and those I bought new, and get used daily.

When you say the finish sucks, how does it suck?

“The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” - Joseph Heller
Old March 19, 2008, 03:03 PM   #23
scorpiusdeus

I've been thinking about a Sig .22 and a Walther .22. I have heard far more negative about the Sig than I have about the Walther, but I'm such a fan of Sig it's hard not to pick one up.
Old March 19, 2008, 03:03 PM   #24
BabyEagle40

I have heard nothing but bad things about the Sig. Just this Ruger nuts opinion
Old March 19, 2008, 03:06 PM   #25
News Shooter

The reason it is perfectly legitimate to resurrect this thread is because Sig has done a complete re-work on the Mosquito and have corrected the problems.

Instead of continuing ahead with outdated and inaccurate information for another generation, it's useful to get updates. It's like the idiots who say they won't buy a Smith because of something two owners ago.
Closed Thread