The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2000, 06:55 PM   #1
BadShot

My local gun dealer has been pushing me to try some National Bullet 'Copperized' copper coated lead bullets($30.00 for 500). I guess the idea is to cut down on the lead fouling. I was thinking about trying them in 158gr SWC and using 3.5gr of W231 for target practice. Anybody have any experience with these? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old April 16, 2000, 12:38 AM   #2
kframe19

Bad,

I've used maybe 5,000 NBC bullets over the past 10-12 years or so. Generally I've been happy with them. They're not the best looking bullets around (normally a little wrinkly and some have uneven sprue marks and whiskers), but they work well enough for me.

I've been loading their 230-gr. LRN lately for .45 Auto and .45 Auto Rim. Work just fine.

Somewhere I've got 500 of their .32 cal. bullets that I load in .32 Long. --Mike
Old April 16, 2000, 12:48 AM   #3
Mal H
Staff

National Bullet's bullets fail into the "ok" category - not real good and not bad. They're fine for your intended purpose of target practice. I find quite a few bullets with voids and missing lube out of each box. They don't go through any swaging process like Oregon Trail or Bull-X for example. Even so they usually hit the paper where pretty much where I aim them. I'm always amazed at what actually doesn't matter when it comes to an accurate bullet. The copper on the Nationals is very thin. It's more like a copper paint than a thin copper jacket like you get with Rainier's.