The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2000, 10:42 PM   #1
Guy B. Meredith

Mark,

The following is an edited version of the postings by "10fan" detailing the use of the Lyman expansion insert for the Hornady powder measure to free up a station. This allows use of both the RCBS lockout die (maybe redundant on an auto-indexer, but I'm the cautious type) and separate seating and crimp dies.

…I use a Hornady Progressive and a RCBS lock out die. The way I have mine set up is: station 1 sizing die, station 2 powder charge/expand die (will explain in a minute), station 3 RCBS lock out die, station 4 seating die, station 5 crimping die… I use the AP case actuated powder measure, with a slight modification. I took the short powder spacer (meant for a rifle) and drilled and threaded it to accept a Lyman expander insert (out of a Lyman Multi-charge die). The modification was easy, only took about 15 mins, cheap ($10 for tap, $ 20 for Lyman Multi-charge die), and works like a champ…

Now for the placement of the plug: First locate the middle sized rifle insert for the auto powder drop. It may be assembled inside of the auto powder drop already or it may be loose in the packaging. The one you are looking for is about 1.1 inches long. Clamp it in a vise and drill a 0.317 inch hole through it. You are not really drilling a hole, more like enlarging the one already there. Next tap the hole. MAKE SURE you tap the correct end. If you look at the insert one side has a long gentle sloping funnel towards a smaller hole. The other side has a very abrupt taper to the hole, that's the side you want to tap. I'm not sure exactly what the thread is on the tap. I took the Lyman insert with me to the hardware store and handed it to a clerk and told him that I wanted a hole threaded to match it. He came back a few minutes later with a tap and it worked when I got home. I hope that explains every thing. It really is a lot simpler than it sounds and will only take a few minutes worth of work. You shouldn't have any problems with 38/357, but if the whole set up ends up too short (can happen with 380s, 9mms, etc.) just put the other rifle insert in on top of the modified one. It's kind of hard to explain, but you will know what I am talking about if it happens…

10fan

Copyright 1999 © Shooters' Online Services, Inc.
Old April 13, 2000, 04:44 PM   #2
Mark Freburg

Thanks for the info, Guy. I saved the message and I'll read it again to digest it. I take it you did the same thing? Did you have a tap on hand?

------------------
Mark
Old April 14, 2000, 01:42 AM   #3
Guy B. Meredith

Mark,

I'm still collecting all the pieces. By the way, the expander plugs for the M-Expander die are listed at $2 each on the Lyman websit. The body and full set of plugs runs from $17 to $25 from various vendors.