The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2000, 12:08 PM   #1
solo

Both lyman and RCBS make high quality reloading equipment. I have narrowed down my choices for a press to either the Lyman T-Mag or the RCBS rockchunker. I like the T-Mag because it is a turret and I don't have to change dies all the time and can leave my settings where they are. Ive never heard any complaints about the T-mag only compliments. I also like the rockchunker, likewise I have never heard anything bad about it except you can only crank out 50-100rds an hour. Is either press "better" than the other or are they both of equal quality? I have discussed the presses with various reloaders but have never put them in a side by side comparrison. Any help would be greatfull, especially from those who have used both presses.
Old March 13, 2000, 09:47 AM   #2
Kenneth L. Walters

I have and like both. Seems to me, however, that they are for different functions. The Lyman turret is excellent for turning out small batches of carefully made ammunition. I like it for that. Actually I like it a lot as I have a total of 50 heads for the machine. The Lyman is one of a very few turrets where you can replace the head. Lee also and maybe SAECO (in a very limited sense) but Lyman does this VERY well. RCBS, incidentally, has just introduced a competing turret which may work as well but cost less.

Since station presses are good for case forming or loading even smaller amounts of ammunition. They will never, however, yield the quanity of ammunition that an RCBS or Lyman turret can.

Finally there is the progressive. That's solely for speed. The best I've seen recently, and I bought one, was the new RCBS 2000.
Old March 13, 2000, 10:34 AM   #3
quadcab

Solo; I have a Lyman T-Mag II with two turret heads set up for .45acp and 9mm. I really like this press and feel it is a great compromise between a single-stage and a progressive. A friend just picked up a T-Mag and prefers it to his Lee progressive. I load 100-200 at a time and feel the T-Mag is fast enough and offers total control of every step. I hand prime using a RCBS hand primer and use Lymans powder-thru expanding die for further time saving. Swapping turrets is simple and fast to change calibers. Regards,Quadcab