The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2000, 07:11 PM   #1
Fritz

Hi All,

I was thinking about buying a 22 Hornet rifle (CZ), but thought that I might be able to achieve the same positive points by loading down my .223. The positive point in question is the quiet report.

Anyone down-load the .223 to approximate the Hornet? Any ideas on where to start or if this course of action is safe?

My neighbors will certainly appreciate any advice you can offer!

Thanks,
Fritz
Old January 18, 2000, 07:37 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Fritz, I never thought the Hornet was exactly whispering to me. But it is quieter than the .223, that's for sure.

Speer lists some reduced loads for the .223 using AA XMP-5744 powder that will get the vel. down to and even below a Hornet vel. This is only my opinion, but I think you could make some reduced loads using some fast and easily combustible powders like IMR4227 and IMR4198. Some TFL'ers have had good luck using slow handgun powders like 2400 in even larger cases, so I don't see why that won't work here. Maybe they will have a load they have had success with. Be sure to work on the loads carefully and I would suggest not trying any ball powders. They are somewhat hard to combust and might lead to a detonation, which is not exactly desirable to say the least.
Old January 19, 2000, 06:11 AM   #3
CrowShooter

Fritz,

I tried this several years ago with IMR 800-X and had great success with a lot of different bullets and weights in a 700VS in .223. I was doing this to try and emulate a Hornet. This powder does not meter well in my meters, so I had to weigh each one. I tried for velocities around 2400 or so.

I do have some load data if you're interested.

CS