The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2000, 06:43 PM   #1
TZEAZAS

I just got some 380, 88 grain JHP, this size bullet is not in any of my reloading books!

Could someone tell me the powder range: I am using Bullseye powder.

Thanks in advance

Tony Z
Old January 15, 2000, 09:34 PM   #2
Peter M. Eick

If you hit the alient (badly spelled, but bullseye's manufactures) web page, they list 88 grn bullets. Otherwise, the standard rule of thumb is load for the next HEAVIER bullet weight and work up carefully. In your case 90 grn jhp's.

Personally, I have had poor luck with bullseye in my 380's. I prefer Unique. My standard load (which is mild) is 4.0 grns of Unique with a remington 88 grn jhp seated to .984 COL. BUT, you should check that with a competent manual (I use seirra's) and work up carefully always watching for pressure signs.

Good luck.
Old January 17, 2000, 07:26 PM   #3
Walt Welch

Here is how to get the reloading data for any cartridge. Go to Shooter's World: http://www.shooters.com/

Select 'Directories' then 'Product Makers.'
Start looking up powder and component makers until you find the one which has the data you require.

In your case, Peter has already found the correct mfr., so click on Alliant: http://www.alliantpowder.com/

Search for the 88 gr. bullet in .380, and you will find 7 recipes: http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/rg....descr=88%20JHP

Alliant, Winchester, Hodgdon and others have downloadable or interactive reloading manuals. Using the data from these on line sources insures you get the latest, most up to date information available.

It is the information age, kid. If an old fossil like me, who loaded his first ammo in the mid 1950's, can learn to get his data on line, you can (and should) also.

Keep sharp and up to date, Walt
Old January 17, 2000, 10:13 PM   #4
TZEAZAS

Thanks walt !

I have used the web for downloading reloading data. But the data I had did not have the 88 grain, the web site you pointed out is great! I bookmarked it for future referances.

Tony Z