The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 27, 2006, 08:08 PM   #1
oystermick

Amazing shot cited as self-defense. Police bullet lodged in gunman's weapon

A highly improbable shot left an officer's bullet in the cylinder of a gunman's revolver..

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...gfollow27.html
Old April 27, 2006, 10:49 PM   #2
loosecannon

The police officer ruined a perfectly good revolver. Does anyone know what model it is? It looks like it could be an old target model Colt. It was in pretty good condition except the grips are broken. That may have also happened when it was dropped.
Old April 27, 2006, 10:51 PM   #3
Abndoc

Ever wonder why if you stare at a pothole in the road, you will hit it most of the time? Your body has a way of going where ever your eyes are pointing. The same thing applys to shooting. Bad guy has a gun, cop fixates on it. Round goes to where eyes are looking.

Still, an amazing, if unintended shot. The Lone Ranger would be proud.
Old April 27, 2006, 11:03 PM   #4
rhgunguy

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen! God must have been watching out for that cop.
Old April 28, 2006, 02:28 AM   #5
DWARREN123

How did an 18yo with mental impairment get a firearm much less a revolver?
Old April 28, 2006, 08:49 AM   #6
invention_45

That's sorta like a hole-in-one. Where's his million-dollar prize?
Old April 28, 2006, 08:59 AM   #7
Polydorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by invention_45
That's sorta like a hole-in-one. Where's his million-dollar prize?
They are both unharmed so perhaps that is reward enough?
Old April 28, 2006, 09:53 AM   #8
leadcounsel

Quote:
How did an 18yo with mental impairment get a firearm much less a revolver?
Yeah, I thought that was illegal and hence couldn't happen in our society?
Old April 28, 2006, 01:10 PM   #9
Anthony2

"Yeah, I thought that was illegal and hence couldn't happen in our society?"

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Please tell me that was a whole truckload of sarcasm?

If not can I ask a question with no offense intended?

Do you live your life with your head in the sand? I'm assuming not, as you're intelligent enough to be at the very least indirectly involved and interested in firearms.............

I'm sorry....I thought questions like that only came from sheeple, not those of us who are independant and informed.

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old April 28, 2006, 07:13 PM   #10
Dfariswheel

A study of shooting incidents involving both parties being armed, shows an amazingly high number of hits on guns and gun hands.

In a high percentage of shootings, having participants with bullet-strike damaged guns and injuries to the hand or arm is actually quite common.

As above, bullets tend to "follow" where the eyes are looking.
Old April 28, 2006, 07:56 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

it happens

Sometimes, things just line up. The "shoot the enemy sniper through his scope" thing in Saving Private Ryan really did happen (at least once), documented, in Vietnam. Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock, Marine sniper did this. Kept the rifle as a trophy. Read about him, tremendous stuff.
Old April 28, 2006, 08:12 PM   #12
Harley Quinn

The story is even more amazing

The amount of shootings and killing are similar to what is going on in California.

If you just stopped to think about the amout of deaths in the US of A each month in the larger cities you would be amazed.

I have been following numerous stories and every time you go into the news paper of the town it is the same, x amount of deaths this month blah blah.

It is because of the weather or the drugs or the moon or the lack of desire to live. Numerous are similar, suicide by cop.

Pretty sad.

Can you imagine if all the guns were confiscated how nice it would be to go to the market and not get shot? LOL.

Yea right. Then it would be ball bats and spears and bows and arrows or swords, knives, zip guns. hmmm
Humanity is a bloody lot and always has been. The Palistinians have rocks by the millions so that is what they use.

It will never change, take that to the bank. So first line of defense is to be aware of your surroundings and try to be careful when you are out and about.

Last but not least, I don't think "God" has anything to do with it. It is man.

I know my bad, so don't bring his name up. Simple. I can really go wild on that subject about who he is protecting and who he isn't, but I won't.

HQ
Old April 29, 2006, 09:31 AM   #13
JuanJose-Hernandez

i have heard it said that you will hit whatever you focus on the most when you are shooting with insinct. the policeman must have focused on the pistol and shot his gun without looking. i dont think you could do it twice.
Old April 29, 2006, 09:41 AM   #14
Rich Lucibella
Staff

It is not at all unusual in shoot house situations to see multiple hits in and around the weapons for the exact reasons JJH states. To me, it demonstrates only that the officer had clearly identified the threat as a firearm.
Good shoot!
Rich
Old April 29, 2006, 03:12 PM   #15
loosecannon

The revolver that was shot sure looks like a Colt Officers model match. If so it hasn't been produced for around 50 years and is a collectors item.
Old April 29, 2006, 06:14 PM   #16
auberg

kinda reminds me of that video footage of the police sniper shooting the gun out of the hand of a sucidial guy. Brilliant shooting on both.
Old April 29, 2006, 07:47 PM   #17
Rainbow Six

What are the odds of this shot?

Guy points gun at two cops. The cops fire and lodge one of their rounds in the guy's revolver cylinder. What are the odds of that? I guess it removes all doubt as to the justification of the shooting.

Bullet lodged in bad guy's revolver...

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper
Old April 29, 2006, 08:05 PM   #18
RickB

I witnessed a similar, but less-serious, miracle shot, last weekend. We have some pepper poppers that some idiot had shot with a rifle, so there were 1/2" holes in them. As I was taping paper targets, I was thinking about people claiming they'd put two shots through one hole, Jimmy Stewart shooting holes through coins in "Winchester '73", etc., and decided to put tape over the holes in the steel. Sure enough, the next shooter fires a round at one of them, at about ten yards, and I hear no "clang" indicating a hit, but I see the tape disappear - the guy had put a round, a .45 round - right through the hole.
Old April 29, 2006, 08:45 PM   #19
Bud Helms

Threads merged.
Old April 29, 2006, 09:27 PM   #20
oldbillthundercheif

At a recent range-session me and my buddy Al were feeling bored with center-of-mass shots on our bad-guy w/gun targets and both tried to put one directly on the muzzle of the target-guy's gun. We both did it eventually, but Al did it on his first shot. And I'm the one with all the olympic and service training... I'll never hear the end of this.
Old April 29, 2006, 10:31 PM   #21
Crosshair

One time I was shooting my Savage 22-250, that has a light trigger, I sneeze and the gun goes off. I look at the target 200 yards away and I put the bullet straight through the bullseye. I really should have saved the target though.
Old April 30, 2006, 07:37 AM   #22
tegemu

Since he had just had a disagreement with his girlfriend suggesting despondancy, and had commented that if confronted by police, he would use his gun, it sure sounds like Suicide by Cop to me.
Old April 30, 2006, 01:18 PM   #23
Harley Quinn

Funny the bullet that was lodged was a 40 cal

The barrel of the gun was a 38 cal = 357. 40 cal =410, not much difference, but it is truly amazing with that in mind.

Now if it was a 44 it would be, not quite so amazing because it would be bigger. But I guess the gun has been identified as a 38, is that the case or are we guessing. Look's like a 44 spl to me.

Just a little pat on the back of a very generous and great host. Rich Lucibella.
Thanks for the good work Rich. Nice post regarding your humble opinion on the topic that is going to be raging for the next week or so. Keep up the good work, love the site and the mag.
May you live long, and have a great hunting life. Thanks for the memories.

HQ
Old April 30, 2006, 06:21 PM   #24
rxrick

Amazing shot!

How many times have you heard the cliche "Just shoot the gun out of his hand"? It appears some Seattle cops did just that:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...ml?source=mypi

Rick
Old April 30, 2006, 08:07 PM   #25
Rainbow Six

I posted that yesterday but it disappeared. I guess it got deleted. Maybe yours will stick around.

And yeah, what are the odds?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper