The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 27, 2006, 03:04 AM   #1
seth

Any satisfied Taurus 608 owners here?

Yes, the 6 or 8 inch stainless .357/38 8-shooter made by Taurus. I've heard plenty of rumors that it's one of Taurus's few "guaranteed" shooters, but I would like to hear it firsthand from satisfied Taurus 608 owners here.

It may end up being my first revolver, and of course, to be used for target shooting. If you own or have handled a 608, please upload a pic of your piece and tell me how you like it, and how accurate it is.

If you haven't owned one...well, feel free to bash Taurus as a brand, as I always could use a good giggle
Old April 27, 2006, 03:16 AM   #2
razorburn

My 6" 608 was purchased April 7 sight unseen, shot it for the 1st time 2 days ago. 1st handgun. It shot well enough, I think... I didn't. Offhand, with a 2 handed grip, got a best of a 1" 3 shot group at 15 yrds, a worst of.... well.... about a foot. Averaging 4-5 inches, figured out it's my flinching and right handed aiming problem. Didn't bring earplugs, every shot made my ears buzz. Recoil was easy even with the magnums. Barely there at all with .38's.
Old April 27, 2006, 06:03 AM   #3
ulmer

I have the 608 4" in blue. No trouble with it, just harder to clean due to the porting. I think of it as a three-inch gun as that is really what it is with a four-inch sight radius. I dislike the porting immensely and wouldn't buy it again because of that.
Old April 27, 2006, 07:16 AM   #4
sterno

What's so bad about porting?
Old April 27, 2006, 01:51 PM   #5
razorburn

It increases noise, gives some trouble to clean, and really isn't necessary in a gun this size. But you can reduce fouling shooting metal coated or fmj bullets. The porting doesn't bother me that much. I rather like cleaning and maintaining my toys.
Old April 27, 2006, 03:47 PM   #6
timothy75

Porting will also blind you if fired from a retention position. I dont like it on a fighting gun.
Old April 27, 2006, 11:43 PM   #7
omegapd

Check a search on 608. It's been up here a few times in the past.

I have a cool discontinued model of the 608. 3 inch un-ported barrel with fixed sights. Mine was made in '99.

I bought it because I thought it'd be the perfect CCW but it's a little too heavy for that. No major problems with shooting it, though.

It's my HD gun right now...
John 15:12-13

This is my command: love another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends.
Old April 28, 2006, 12:14 AM   #8
Action_Can_Do

I have a blued 608 with a 6 and a half inch barrel. It was my first handgun and I love it. I was able to get a 2 inch grouping at 25 yards using remington ammo and I didn't use a bench. I have had less luck using Winchester ammo and I avoid Winchester if I can. That said, I really like the gun, porting and all. It's a bit heavier than a Smith of about the same size, so it's not what I call my first choice as a carry piece but it's really fun for target practice and hunting. Too bad they don't make them with blueing anymore.
Old April 28, 2006, 12:22 PM   #9
ulmer

Another thing about porting is that in reducing about an inch of rifling, of your barrel in fact, handgun power is lost. To me there is just something dishonest about a ported gun. That's just me, as for the functioning of the gun it performs well. I bought it to recycle heavy 357 loads that I wouldn't want to shoot in my carry model 60 three-incher. Incidentally my 608 would only be of equal impact to the mode 60: the same actual 3-in barrel.
Old April 28, 2006, 02:22 PM   #10
leadcounsel

My second gun was the Taurus 607. The 607 is no longer made. Got it on clearance from Garts Sports for $220. While not the 608 I believe it's very similar. Anyway, I've had it for 5 or so years and it's given me flawless and accurate performance through about 1000 rounds. I would buy another Taurus revolver (but not a semiauto - bad experiences with jamming).
Old April 30, 2006, 11:04 AM   #11
Brian 45

I've had a 6 inch 608 for a number of years. I bought it used but with less than a box through it.

It shoots pretty well although I'm not a big fan of ported guns in this caliber and weight either. I don't think it's needed, adds noise and isn't fun to clean although pipe cleaners work well for that.

I'll keep it ans shoot it on occassion, probally not worth more than the $200.00 I paid for it either. I have a couple Taurus revolvers and they're okay but resale isn't the best around here.
Old April 30, 2006, 03:50 PM   #12
mjrodney

A co-worker has the long barreled 608.

Every time I suggest that he sell it to me, he laughs, and tells me all over again why he "just luvs that gun".
Old April 30, 2006, 04:17 PM   #13
Benzene

My 608SS4

I love mine, a 4-inch 8-shot .357 caliber stainless steel, "handsome" gun that I treat as my "1911". It gives me revolver virtues with semi-auto capacity.

I've never taken it to the range and not have folks making admiring comments. And some of these folks are quite knowledgeable about guns. Regardless, I love my 608 and find that it shoots quite accurately, despite me.

I don't care about "resale value". I buy a gun only after carefully assessing that I need/want it, and having bought it, I keep it. But that's me.
Old May 1, 2006, 07:09 AM   #14
strange246

Here's my 6" 608 posing with my Ruger Bisley, I have well over 2,000 rounds through it, love mine, not problems at all, super accurate, I changed the grip to a Hogue and it's the best thing I ever did, feels totally different in the hand....

https://home.comcast.net/~72demon/