The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 18, 2006, 05:56 AM   #1
smiljko

Rem. 7400 trigger

Hi!
I own .30-06 Remington 7400,and I don't like its trigger- it is creepy and hard. Is there any way to adjust it,or something??
Thanks
Old April 18, 2006, 03:51 PM   #2
Scorch

Yes. Take it to a GOOD gunsmith and tell them you want a trigger job. Probably run about $75.
Old April 18, 2006, 06:55 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

A lot of people have bemoaned the fact there are no aftermarket triggers for the Remington gas guns. The problem is, nobody wants to risk giving someone a trigger they can adjust until the gun starts to double (or triple or quadruple).

You might call and talk to some of the gunsmiths who work on gas guns for service rifle matches? I'm not saying they will do the work, but may be able to steer you to someone who does. Ask Compass Lake or even Springfield Armory if they know of someone who works on this action's trigger? They may hesitate to make an outright recommendation because of the liability chain, but might at least drop a name.

Good luck with it.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 18, 2006, 11:18 PM   #4
hoghunting

The 7400 trigger group is very similar to the 1100's trigger. If you find a 'smith that works on 1100 triggers, he will probably work on yours.
Old April 19, 2006, 12:35 AM   #5
cntryboy1289

they are exactly the same as the 1100

The 7400 uses the exact same trigger group as the shotguns and 22's. The creepy trigger can be improved upon slightly, but not very much. I would make sure to keep the weight above 4 lbs if you find a smith to work on it for you as well.

Most any decent smith can improve the trigger a little bit for you. What he can do is bump the sear spring for you and make the trigger a little less creepy for you, but please don't look for it to be anything similar to a bolt action trigger, it just won't ever feel that good to you.
Old April 19, 2006, 12:42 AM   #6
smiljko

Thanks guys-off to the smith it goes !
Old April 19, 2006, 12:47 AM   #7
smiljko

"Most any decent smith can improve the trigger a little bit for you. What he can do is bump the sear spring for you and make the trigger a little less creepy for you, but please don't look for it to be anything similar to a bolt action trigger, it just won't ever feel that good to you."

What do you mean by bumping the sear spring -could you explain it please- I'm not into tehnical english terms-thanks