The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 1999, 05:55 PM   #1
Hal

I loaded up some mid-range(from the felt recoil, I didn't chrono them) .44 Magnum loads
.44 Magnum once fired brass
CCI Large Pistol Primer-Standard
9.5 gr Unique
Hornady .430 JTC-SIL, a .44 Jacketed Flat point round.

Very mild pleasant recoil with very low muzzle blast, about what would be expected of a mid range load like this. Accuracy is superb when I did my part. I fired 5 shots at about 35 feet. The lead rounds from last week would have patterned into around 1 to 2 feet. The Hornady .44 JTC-SIL's printed about a 2 1/2 in group,mostly to point of aim. 3 of the five shots went 1 hole 1 and 1/2 times the diameter of the slug. 2 of those 3 went into 1 hole, slightly less than 1/2 inch. The only drawback is the cost. These Hornady's ran me $19.05 for a box of 100. Pretty expensive for a noise maker, but if the accuracy proves out to be this good all the time, I may not mind a bit.

Thanks Mal and Paul for your help. I am still working on the lead rounds. I picked up a pound of 2400 last week, but have not tried it yet. If I get a chance tomorrow morning, I will put up a small batch and give it a try.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http:/www.ofcc.net
Old September 25, 1999, 09:56 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Thanks for the update, Hal. I'm still curious to see if additional velocity will help with the keyhole problem with your lead bullets. Let us know what happens with the 2400 loads.

BTW, I also have a 94 with a 1:38 twist rate in 45 Colt. I haven't had any stabilization problems. But my barrel is 4" longer and I haven't tried any relatively mild loads. Those two factors probably help. I might load up a few slow rounds, lob 'em out to a target and see what happens.
Old September 26, 1999, 03:29 PM   #3
Paul B.

Mal. I shot some light loads in a .45 LC model 94. 7.0 gr. W-231. Very mild. Thoght about cowboy shooting and that load worked well in 3 single action Colt's I have. Only shot them at 25 yards, but was just one ragged hole. Never got around to trying them at longer range. Bullet was a 230 gr. RN for the .45 ACP. Good fun plinking load.
Paul B.