The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 9, 2006, 08:03 PM   #1
Rightwinger

Ever Rained Out?

Yesterday at our local IDPA (Style) match it began raining so hard that we actually called off score keeping. The paper was so wet that pens wouldn't write without tearing the sheets, and towards the end we even had a hard time taping targets. The rain was non-existant for the start of first stage, but in less than ten minutes after the day started it was pouring. A few people up and left but most of us remained there and shot the stages with each shooter being timed, and just being told his time afterwards. It was a blast to compete in the rain, and made every action that much more difficult. On one stage with two mandatory reloads there were mags being dropped every few shooters, and one shooter actually dropped two. All in all, a fun day that showed everyone involved just how difficult things can be in realistic situations that aren't sunny and 65.
Old April 11, 2006, 09:12 PM   #2
glockopop

My local IDPA club was just started last August and had 4 matches before going on hiatus for winter. (We're starting up again in 2 weeks) I missed the very first match, but every single match that I've been to at this club has been in the rain. I liked it a lot! I was shooting my Glock 35, so I didn't have any corrosion problems, and the rain utterly changed everything. My IPSC club shoots year-round in Iowa, so I shot several matches this winter in subzero temperatures. That polymer Glock frame is a lot warmer to the touch than my metal SIG frame in freezing cold!
Old April 11, 2006, 09:50 PM   #3
frankt

Not so far..Knock on wood. We have had drizzle or very light rain during a match but nothing serious.

Several times we set up in the rain on Saturday and the rain was gone by the start of the match on Sunday. Last October the SO's were supposed to shoot the course before they worked the State match the next day. It rained on them all day and finally rained so hard that they did not get to shoot two stages and had to make them up the next day.
Old April 12, 2006, 04:20 AM   #4
mete

A state championship handgun metallic silhouette match - it rained so hard at one point that I couldn't even see the 200 yard ram !!! We struggled through it that saturday. Later we found the match was cancelled !! We were furious but they explained that as bad as it was on saturday it was worse on sunday so they cancelled it.
Old April 12, 2006, 05:54 AM   #5
mxwelch

Was rained out last Sat. A NRA High Power match. Had all my gear packed up too.
Old April 12, 2006, 01:34 PM   #6
RickB

I have, on many occasions, wanted to quit and go home, but never have, and have never shot a match that was called due to the weather. I was shooting a 3-gun match in Ephrata, WA last Saturday, and it started raining on the first stage. Nine hours later, we were done. Probably the most miserable I've been at a match, and if it had been a local match, for which I'd paid a $15 match fee, I would have left after three stages. As it was, I had about $150 in match fees, transportation, accommodations, etc., so stuck it out.