The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 16, 2006, 07:25 PM   #26
WillBrayjr

I'm not arguing that the knife isn't effective at close range. I have trained with edged weapons in the martial arts.
Old March 16, 2006, 07:31 PM   #27
joab

Quote:
Florida recently abolished the "duty to retreat" law I spoke of above, meaning, in short, that if you are in any place you have a lawful right to be, you can stand your ground and fight back, using deadly force if necessary to defend your or another's life or to prevent great bodily harm from occuring to you or another.
That's a very long way from not having to worry whether it's justified or not
And that law, recognizing your right to respond to a direct physical threat, came into effect five months ago.
http://www.flsenate.gov/session/inde...0249&Year=2005
Old March 16, 2006, 07:47 PM   #28
arabian cowboy

i have also been burned by the law for fighting back against an attack. it was high school and, you know, kids in high school get into fights. well i fought back and was informed by the appropriate authorities that there "is never a good reason to fight."
Old March 16, 2006, 07:55 PM   #29
steelheart

Quote:
One of our officers was working a store security job off duty years back, when he tried to stop a shoplifter from leaving the store. He never even saw the knife, but it left him on the floor with his intestines hanging out.

He drew to shoot the guy, and the manager jumped in front of him. Said he didn't want to get sued
I hope the officer lived and sued the crap out of the manager!! That right there is the single most stupid, ignorant, asinine act I have ever heard of - and I've heard of some really stupid acts!!

Quote:
i fought back and was informed by the appropriate authorities that there "is never a good reason to fight."
So in order to be a good example, I'm absoultely certain "The Authorities" stand there and let an attacker beat on them when attacked.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:
Old March 16, 2006, 07:56 PM   #30
joab

Quote:
and was informed by the appropriate authorities that there "is never a good reason to fight."
same here. They put me in the army to teach me that
Old March 16, 2006, 08:14 PM   #31
Rightwinger

At school,. a long time ago, I once caught a punch to the stomache... Saw it comming at the last second, clenched, and didn't get the wind knocked out of me. I reacted really quickly.

Hit the kid in the right temple, and he was O-U-T!

I was supended out of school, and told to write an appology note by the principle. My father told the principle to kiss his ass. Probably the most proud I've been in my life. He'd taught me to defend myself and I did. I spent my suspention playing video games at the mall, going out to movies, and practicing for a hockey tournament with my father, who took the week off of work.

At least the had the gaul to suspend the other guy too.
Old March 16, 2006, 08:19 PM   #32
Shakazulu

Sucks when they teach you to stand up for yourself and then when you do, they suspend you for it.
Old March 17, 2006, 08:49 PM   #33
riverrat66

Ouch!

Check this out. This guy was caught cheating on his wife and she attacked him with an ax! I think he's gonna have one hell of a headache in the morning. I must warn you, it's pretty graphic!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002_file001333.jpg (29.2 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 003_file002444.jpg (27.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 004_file003555.jpg (36.9 KB, 79 views)
Old March 18, 2006, 07:15 AM   #34
WillBrayjr

I'm surprised that he survived. If he cheated for no reason then he got what he deserved
Old March 18, 2006, 07:24 AM   #35
PSE

ever seen what a soda can ripped in half can do to flesh?
nonone is ever unarmed.
Old March 18, 2006, 07:29 AM   #36
riverrat66

Quote:
If he cheated for no reason then he got what he deserved
Will, you can't be serious. You have to put a little more value on life then that. Apparently the wife caught her estranged husband in bed with the family housekeeper but still that's no excuse for nearly killing him.
Old March 18, 2006, 07:49 AM   #37
AttackTurtle

Knifes scare me more. You can't really miss with a knife. Sadly, I think most bad guys arent going to brandish it if they intend on murdering you. They are just going to walk up to you and your just going to think he punched you.

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET
Old March 18, 2006, 01:19 PM   #38
WillBrayjr

I bet he learned his lesson
Old March 18, 2006, 01:31 PM   #39
fisherman66

Quote:
I bet he learned his lesson
What was the lesson? Am I to be excused for attempting to murder my estranged wife if I catch her in bed with someone else. I don't think this represents main stream thinking or legal interpretation.
Old March 18, 2006, 04:01 PM   #40
WillBrayjr

His lesson is what happened to him for cheating. He got punished for being a bad boy

I myself wouldn't take it to that extreme. I will make anyone who cheats on me pay. I'm not going to hack the woman up
Old March 18, 2006, 04:07 PM   #41
riverrat66

I think this woman my have gone a bit too far!

Last edited by riverrat66; March 18, 2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old March 18, 2006, 04:46 PM   #42
WillBrayjr

Cheating is one of the reasons why I'm very picky. I will not rush into a relationship.
Old March 18, 2006, 06:46 PM   #43
thorysus

Al those pics are nasty examples of mele or edged weapons (my personal favorite) but to just say he cheated and deserves it seem s kindda out there as well. I dont know if that was your intent or not but it seems like an extrem end of revenge to me. theres other ways besides that (like a divorce and taking all the money) to get even. All thoguh i think the modern lack of males rights in divorce is wrong, but thats a whole other issue.
Old March 18, 2006, 07:13 PM   #44
Mastrogiacomo

I agree it was an extreme response. Personally, if they were having martial problems, she should have let it go and move on since it was obvious that he did. I never feel that domestic violence is ever justified no matter who's the offender.

Laura
Old March 18, 2006, 07:50 PM   #45
CWO4USCGRET

Knife v. Gun

"A knife is a deadly weapon and so is a hammer, ball bat ect. Come at me with anything like that and thou shall be shot!" And inside of 20 feet you will be cut before you can draw your weapon, engage the target, and fire. It has nothing to do if you are average Joe or trained LEO. If you do not know how to respond to someone with a knife then being seriously injured is a strong likelihood. Three months in the matrooms of FLETC taught me that powerful lesson. For every move there is a counter move; the bad guys practive their moves...

I once did Law Enforcement Boardings for the Coast Guard. Our base was across the street from a minimum security federal correctional institution. Several days after we were practicing arrest and defensive tactics, the convicts were practicing counter movements.
Old March 18, 2006, 08:21 PM   #46
Smoke Screen

Ssssssmmmoookkkee Sssssssssccrrreeeeeeennnnnn

Just "shows to go you" what a knife/hatchet (even though it looked like a garden spade) can do to you. That guy had to have died. I used to work in the E.R. back home and I saw TONS of knife wounds. Enough to scare me into shooting someone if they pulled a knife on me. A lot of damage.
Old March 18, 2006, 08:46 PM   #47
Powderman

Quote:
I'm surprised that he survived.
I don't think he did. Looked like a picture of a post-mortem to me.

And, by the way--the 21 foot rule applies for someone who has their weapon already drawn, and on target! If you are carrying, or an LEO, you will NOT clear your holster before you start taking damage from a determined attacker.
Old March 18, 2006, 09:03 PM   #48
Shakazulu

smooth is fast
Old March 18, 2006, 10:03 PM   #49
riverrat66

Here's the entire article. I didn't include it with the pictures because it was a little long but probably should have. Sorry about that. This is absolutely unbelievable.

Riverrat66

Subject: Fw: DON'T CHEAT ON YOUR WIFE

Emilo Savez was critically wounded tonight when his wife, in a fit of rage, attacked her husband with a wood ax, lodging it in his forehead. The 36 year old father of three was rushed to St.Vincent's hospital when his frantic wife called police after swinging an ax into his face. Apparently Maria Savez caught her estranged husband in bed with the family housekeeper, and in a fit of rage ran to the garage and got a wood ax, then proceeded back to their bedroom.

Once there a struggle ensued, and Mrs. Savez ended up on top of her husband, then swung the ax and impaled Mr. Savez in his forehead.

Shocked surgeons spent six hours removing and repairing the damage from the ax, and surprisingly Mr. Savez is expected to make a full recovery.

Minor brain damage to the front temporal lobes is expected, but Mr. Savez is expected to be able to lead a normal life once his wounds have healed!
Old March 18, 2006, 10:17 PM   #50
riverrat66

Quote:
And, by the way--the 21 foot rule applies for someone who has their weapon already drawn, and on target! If you are carrying, you will NOT clear your holster before you start taking damage from a determined attacker.
BTW, Powderman is 100% correct. The attacker with the knife always has the advantage. If someone flashes a knife at me I'm gonna run and then start shooting, in that order. Or at least move to some cover and draw as I'm doing so. That's why it always pays to practice drawing and firing as you are moving.