The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old February 24, 2006, 10:23 AM   #51
WhyteP38

High Planes Drifter, you're right (of course) about your original post and the call to animal control. So ...

8 ounces of radiator fluid: 12 cents
Plastic dog dish you will use only once: 99 cents
Never having to deal with the neighbor's aggressive dog again: Priceless
Old February 24, 2006, 10:35 AM   #52
High Planes Drifter

Ah ... the ol' Prestone green steak eh'
Old February 24, 2006, 11:08 AM   #53
Mikeyboy

I have a some OC (but I might try the ammonia trick) and I carry an old wooden broom handle cut in half (about 2ft worth) with a leather landyard (old leather shoelace, with a loop as big as my foot). A lot of the old timers I knew growing up did this for dogs and for two legged BG. There was a mean dog on my street that would terrorize all the kids. One day I watched this old guy in the neighborhood was walking his dog (a little white toy poddle) and he would always carry the stick in his armpit of his leash hand, with the laynard dangling in front. Every old guy in my neighborhood did this, and as a kid I never knew why. Well the mean dog attacked his dog an the guy grabbed the strap with his thumb and in a whipping motion the stick came out moving faster than Babe Ruth's bat. I can still hear the crack and the yelp from that dog. One whack and the dog took off limping. If a BG got whack on the side of the knee or head like that he would probably go down. You can also use it like a club or a pry bar to seperate frisky dogs with it. Sometime the old tricks works the best.

If my dog attacked another person's dog, I would offer to pay the vet bill. If this guy didn't offer...Sue in small claims court. You don't need a laywer to do it.
Old February 24, 2006, 11:18 AM   #54
Bo Hunter

Dogs & Garbage

A few years ago this old timer (he had to be at least 80) was telling me about a dog that used to get into his trash. He took a 12 ga shotshell, pried it open, dumped out the pellets and replaced them with Rock Salt. He said he never had a problem with that dog in the garbage after that.....
Old February 24, 2006, 12:42 PM   #55
Duxman

Being a responsible dog owner (both with the leash and Poop pick up), I will have to go with these options previously discussed:

1) Animal control (call everytime you see the dog unleashed....Escalate to a supervisor and threaten a lawsuit if they dont respond often and fast. You are after all paying their salary as a taxpayer.)

2) Lawsuit against irresponsible dog owner (Start with small claims court - you dont need a lawyer, bring your vet bills and documentation of the incident - witnesses if you have them, even after you cash his $500, hit him for psychological damages - $1000 more.) Then he will think twice about letting his dog loose.

3) Ammonia is a very cool solution as described by other posts, but I would go with a stun gun. 500,000 volts of pure energy will stop that dog cold. ASP(s) are illegal to CC here in VA.
Old February 24, 2006, 08:56 PM   #56
kozak6

It's interesting that you mention the stungun.

The sound of it alone makes my little pugs literally turn tail and go hide under the table.

On another occasion, we were up at the cabin in Prescott, and a small pack of dogs came up the driveway, not looking too happy to see us. My father happened to have the stungun handy, sparked it, and the dogs turned right around and went away.

Of course, the problem with a stungun is that if the sound doesn't scare off the dog, it's useless beyond poking range.
Old February 25, 2006, 12:09 AM   #57
Smoke Screen

Heres The Deal

Ok fellas. If you have a gun, carry it but not in +p. Use subsonics/hollowpoints. If you don't have a CCW, carry an asp. A steel telescopic baton swung with full force WILL break the jaw of any mutt. Maybe the spine, and for sure legs. If a dog was locked on to mine and I was carrying, I'd put that barrel right up to its neck and shoot straight down. If you DON"T have a CCW, bear spray maybe, but I trust my own strength with steel baton or nightstick more than some canister. Its windy where I live anyhow.

A dog once charged into my uncles yard and started attacking his dog. It took the both of us wrestling on the ground to pull them apart. And they were medium sized dogs. If I wasn't in my boxers and had my folder with me, I would have stuck that dog in the neck and pulled as hard as I could. A dog is property. And some dogs cost thousands of dollars. I'll be damned if I let some flea bitten, rotten, untrained mutt kill my dog or maim me. I killed a dog in the Dominican Republic for biting me. (I have 3 scars on my legs from dogs biting me there and in the US) I slammed it against a concrete wall. No laws there though!
Old February 25, 2006, 12:35 AM   #58
dm1333

Pepper spray would be a good first defense

As a long time road and mountain biker I have had to draw a gun on a dog and I have pepper sprayed several dogs. I had a guy yell at me that he was calling the cops, after his dog chased me and I sprayed it. I happened to be next to a large hospital with a lot of witnesses so I stuck around instead of riding off. The cop took one look at the unleashed dog and all the witnesses and told the owner to leash the dog before he was cited. And the D@#$ dog never chased me again.
Old February 25, 2006, 01:07 PM   #59
WhyteP38

Not everyone can legally own, much less carry, Asps or stunguns or handguns. While I was originally in favor of a walking stick, after reading all of the suggestions and consequences, I think the ammonia bottle is the way to go. Simple, cheap, effective, and legal. If I spray ammonia on some guy's dog and he wants to sue me, he's living in fantasy land.
Old February 25, 2006, 01:26 PM   #60
Seven High

One thing that you should consider is contacting your local police department or animal control and tellling them of the incident. Get the persons name that you talked to. Write it down with the time and date that you called. Tell them that you want to file charges against the owner of the dog. If the owner can be determined, sign an affaidavit against them. You might have to go to court and testify against them. It will be worth it in the end as they will have to control their animal. Other persons will not then be put in danger. I personally carry a snubnose .38 with the first shot CCI birdshot. The next four are for real. I also carry Halt dog repellant. It works real well.
Old February 26, 2006, 05:27 AM   #61
Ga Johnny

pack some hamburger meat with decon and toss it in the bad dogs yard. You've done the whole neighborhood a public service.
Old February 26, 2006, 01:18 PM   #62
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Some of you guys might want to re-think the antifreeze and Decon. Shooting a dog that's actively attacking you, or even your dog is one thing, and is justifiable in most states, but poisoning a domestic animal is illegal in most states and will land you in jail.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 26, 2006, 02:12 PM   #63
WhyteP38

Quote:
Some of you guys might want to re-think the antifreeze and Decon. Shooting a dog that's actively attacking you, or even your dog is one thing, and is justifiable in most states, but poisoning a domestic animal is illegal in most states and will land you in jail.
I hope folks understand that my post about antifreeze was intended as a joke, thus the reference to the Visa card commercial.
Old February 26, 2006, 02:28 PM   #64
Rock and Glock

Go with the strongest pepper spray legal in Texas, and carry a golf club as a "swagger stick" LOL A nice short wood should put bad doggy in cuckoo land, and keep you and yours safe.

"Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory." Leonardo da Vinci
Old February 26, 2006, 04:15 PM   #65
SIGSHR

A water pistol filled with ammonia is an old standby. Years ago I lived in a
neighborhood with an obnoxious and belliggerent dog. Gave him a good blast,
made sure he got it on his snout. He never bothered me again.
Old February 26, 2006, 11:53 PM   #66
Gazpacho

Taurus 45 Colt snubby loaded with 1 shot shell ready to go, followed by 4 Glazer Safety slugs.

A dog qualifies as a lethal weapon. It can out-run and out-fight most people.

"Officer, I was out walking my dog, minding my own business, when this crazy dog (while pointing to the carcass in the street) went nuts, barking and charging across the street, straight for me. What did my dog do? I don't really know. I was so scared by that viscious dog charging at me, the only thing on my mind was stopping it. Sir, it was coming to kill me. I just know it. I have a CCW permit, and I carry to protect myself against other people, not against mad dogs trying to chase me down and kill me. I mean, I LOVE dogs. I've always owned dogs, but I've never had one try to kill me."

Now, if you happened to be in the middle of a dog run, then I'd recommend jamming the revolver down the dogs throat first, so there would be no question as to the dog's intent.
Old February 28, 2006, 05:10 AM   #67
Kas

Options are good!

Two or four legged attackers would seem best dealt with various levals of defense being available(on you).1st being pepper(or ammonia if you prefer)2nd a hickory/oak cane(asps or batons are illegal in lot of places like here in Oklahoma)3rd CCW with Glasers/Magsafes/RBCDs etc.Then you could try the spray,then the cane, and then that failing,Maybe Bang!"I was in fear of being maimed or killed officer!"(Really!)Measured deterence(incremental) is good IF possible as then if you do get in a legal situation you have tried to do all that's reasonably possible, before shooting.Best to avoid problems when you can,but equipped to deal with them if you can not.So when I leave my property,small pepper spray goes in my shirt pocket,.380 in my pants pocket(Kel Tec),folding serrated knife(seat belts or last resort),and would add a cane if going walking where a problem could arise.Before getting CCW(96)I had a number of instances (over several decades)just walking down the street/sidewalk, of aggressive dog/dogs coming at me in which case I pulled a folding knife and fortunately they decided not take it to the next level.Sabre makes good product(pepper/or pepper+cs gas)straight pepper is suppose to be best on 4 legged predators(bear spray etc.)while pepper+cs is supposed most effective on the 2 legged predators.Rather than mist type spray,the stream type spray would be less likely to blow back on you.Yes,I know this is not "the pepper spray forum",But having given this a lot of thought(dealing various type of predators)and talking with a friend who is an ethical/moral/ pro gun trial attorney,NRA member("yes Virgina they do exist!")I would strongly consider your options before you get in a situation.Oh,by the way he has not gotten in habit of carrying "pepper"on him(in the car/house),was taking a walk in his neighborhood(about dusk)was confronted by a menacing German shepard,and found his snubby .38 with Crimsom Trace laser grips very comforting,and was able to back away from threat with the dog breaking off.In his neighborhood,someone would have called the police,if he had been seen("sheep")Some pepper spray in this instance could have been very satisfying and good learning experience(for the dog)as well as alot more politically correct(less legal risk)As to protecting your property with deadly force,you would well advised to check your state/local laws.Here in OK. IF someone comes in your house uninvited and you feel you are being threatened with severe bodily harm/death you supposed to be immune from criminal/civil libelability,if you use deadly force.But if you hear someone commiting a property crime outside the house and "leave the safety of your house" and armed,confronted the poor misguided criminal,or say fired a warning shot into the ground you could be arrested for threatening/using deadly force which you can not do here(property crime) I make no claim as being any thing like an "expert" or a "attorney",but as victim of some "minor" property crimes recently(stolen tires/puntured sidewalls),found out (was reminded?)that there was very substantial risk(criminal/civil)in confronting or trying to detain these individuals:barf: Just to suppose to call the Sheriff,and perhaps I should ask poor unenlightened individuals if ,they would like some tea and crumpets and would they please wait till the deputies can arrive.Yea that's it! I will now get off my soapbox PS I have no desire to have any confrontation with any predator.But, If I am walking down a public street/sidewalk and your dog come out in a threatening manner,then I will whether alone/with dog/friend,etc., take the front position and defend against harm!That would be your Responsibity(fault) train your dogs and or contain them!I do not think anyone(here) really wants to be put in this position.But neither will we allow ourselves/women/children etc. to be victims of any predator, given other options, and NO "spraying and praying bullets" is never an option!We had to put up an electric fence to keep our escape artists contained

a

Last edited by Kas; February 28, 2006 at 03:39 PM. Reason: 2nd and 3rd thoughts
Old February 28, 2006, 09:35 AM   #68
yomama

response to anti-dog lovers

This is my first posting, had to write about how our dogs should be treated. WHile i agree that a dog is not a human child, I am saddened to see that there is not more appreciation for life in this post. A dog is a living, breathing animal, one that we as a society have chosen not to hunt or eat. We do not hurt these animals, as they are our best friends. I know that in reality you may get in a lot of trouble if you choose to shoot an attacking dog. The only thing i want to finish with is that if your best friend was in trouble, you would act first, and then suffer the consequences later.

Thank you all for your patience, and I hope my future posts are better put together.
Old February 28, 2006, 01:48 PM   #69
SrtDog

Like Jimbo from Southpark, "ITS COMING RIGHT AT US."

Shoot the dog, use an asp on the owner.

I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.
- General George Patton Jr

If you're going through hell, keep going.
- Winston Churchill
Old February 28, 2006, 07:45 PM   #70
springmom

Congratulations, you get the prize for a new low

Quote:
High Planes Drifter, you're right (of course) about your original post and the call to animal control. So ...

8 ounces of radiator fluid: 12 cents
Plastic dog dish you will use only once: 99 cents
Never having to deal with the neighbor's aggressive dog again: Priceless
This is no joke. There is nothing remotely funny about poisoning a dog. If a dog is allowed to run loose repeatedly (as opposed to getting out one time, which happens to most dog owners at one time or another) then that is a matter to take up with the owner, through the courts if need be. But to suggest the long, agonizing death of antifreeze poisoning for an animal is hideous. Do you have ANY IDEA just how bad those last hours are for an animal that dies this way???? Do you even CARE?????

I am disgusted beyond words, and amazed that this thread is still open after this crap.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Closed Thread