The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 5, 2006, 07:21 PM   #1
Ozzieman

Indiana deer pochers

Saw it on the news tonight, Indiana has a new way to catch deer poachers.
They have a real looking deer with a moving head that they place along country roads that are well traveled and a game warden watches from the other side of the road concealed. They controle the head movement of the deer and wait for the next stupid humam to come along. They had films of a couple dumb nit wits climb out of there trucks and start blasting away.
As far as I am concerned taking there guns and trucks away is about what they should get. Wonder what the fine would be.
Old February 5, 2006, 09:37 PM   #2
TCman

this isnt a new way. They used to put it on the side of the road so people would swerve to hit it.
Old February 5, 2006, 11:16 PM   #3
Clayfish

They have used it for several years in GA. The thing is they can't get you for poaching since you aren't shooting a live animal but they get you for trespassing, not wearing orange, shooting within 50 yards of a maintained highway, and anything else they can pin on you.
Old February 6, 2006, 07:16 AM   #4
youp

Michigan has been doing this for years. I got to see one up close at a outdoor event. It was shot all up, the motor running the tail was junk, apparently some of these people are excellent shots. I have heard they also have the same in the ruffed grouse model
Old February 6, 2006, 09:35 AM   #5
FirstFreedom

yeah, the moving head thing might be a new one, but game wardens have been using decoys forever. Best story I heard on those is.... Ol' boy in northeastern OK is driving along; sees a deer; figures out it's a decoy. It's deer season so the only prohibition is shooting "from or across a road" (that's what they're trying to catch people doing). So he stops the pickup; grabs his rifle; walks off of the road a ways til he gets a good shot at the decoy and proceeds to blast it about 10 times.
Old February 6, 2006, 06:57 PM   #6
swampdog

They got them in NC too. They make you pay for the damage you do to the mechanical
deer, as well as fines and seizure of guns and vehicles.
I built a house for a warden a few years ago. He told me he had one guy that
stopped, fired a few rounds, went down the road, turned around and came back
and shot it up some more. I guess some "road hunters" just "aint too bright".
They put them out at night for fire-lighters, too. He said the eyes even glow when
you hit them right with the light. If they catch you fire-lighting in NCarolina, it can
ruin your life. I know one guy that got a felony out of it. Got what he deserved, IMO.