The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2006, 08:33 AM   #1
Varmint Eviscerator

Can the 30-30 be hand-loaded past 1900ftlbs?

Thats the question,I could get a 30-30 bolt action rifle from a relative for a discounted price or I could keep saving and go with my dream cartridge the 06,which i will never out grow whereas the 30-30 is limited in it's game-taking abilities
Chase
Ahh, a good old bolt action,a bolt is a remedy for time, afternoons with our fathers and their fathers, for the mighty olympic shooters, for the wanna be's,for the time of youth in the woods, for the young.......the old, it is timeless, classic, sleek-a piece of art forever to remain in our memories, our hearts, our future.
Old January 3, 2006, 09:03 AM   #2
Crosshair

The limiting factor for a 30-30 bolt gun will be the 30-30 case itself. The main advantage for you will be that you can use sptizer bullets. The 30-30 case is very thin by modern standards and will not take very high pressures well. You can load it higher than SAAMI spec, but if you get too high you risk a case failure.

What model of rifle is it? Not many places made 30-30 bolt guns.
Old January 3, 2006, 09:19 AM   #3
HSMITH

Save up, don't blow up. Pushing anything out of its range isn't a good idea.
Old January 3, 2006, 10:41 AM   #4
BIGJACK

With the bolt action you can kick um up a little but still not much because of the cases and exceeding the max reccommended more than 5-6% is riskie.
In up state NY and that area an ole 30-30 will pass, after all more deer have been killed with a 30-30 (so they say) than anyother cartridge. But if you gonna be shooting past 150-200yds better wait on that 06.
Old January 3, 2006, 11:03 AM   #5
Varmint Eviscerator

their gonna be LOOONG fopen field shots,no i dont want or need a 7mike mike such and such,the 06 can exceed 7mm energy levels out to 500+ yrds with federals HE 180grn loads!!!
Chase
plus I can varmint hunt and practice with light kicking loads!
Ahh, a good old bolt action,a bolt is a remedy for time, afternoons with our fathers and their fathers, for the mighty olympic shooters, for the wanna be's,for the time of youth in the woods, for the young.......the old, it is timeless, classic, sleek-a piece of art forever to remain in our memories, our hearts, our future.
Old January 3, 2006, 05:49 PM   #6
Bud Helms

You could get a gun smith to cut the Ackley Improved chamber in it. That would extend your case life quite a bit. You still have to mind the case is thin-walled, but 125 gr Ballistic Tips do well in a .30-30 AI. I've killed Georgia Whitetail with it.

Is this rifle a Savage?
Old January 3, 2006, 05:58 PM   #7
Leftoverdj

You oughta be able to get 2200 fps with 170 grain bullets. I'm assuming the rifle in question is a Savage 340. If the "discounted price" is more than $150, save your money and get a Stevens .30-06 from Walmart for about $260. If it's a Rem. 788 or 54, PM me.