The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 2, 2006, 10:49 PM   #1
Harry Bonar

Is this funny?

Shooters; help me react correctly to this.
I recently got three VZ24s' and have converted two to 22-250 and the other one to 6MM. I was saving one for a close relative because he wanted it. I traded him the VZ24 and some stuff for a Ruger Blackhawk ,357!
I opened my safe to put the SECOND .357 in and found mine, already in my safe gone! I then went to my firearms list and looked at ser. # and found that the Ruger they traded me was in fact MY gun! Now it had been gone for about a week and I do have several guns so I wasn't aware that they had taken my .357 to trade it to me later!
I traded and caught this with a ser. # check about the time they got home with my Mauser and stuff.
Then they called and said it was a joke?
To me at 70 yrs old it was not a joke. No one had permission in my safe - they had slipped it out secretly.
Now, should I laugh at this as a collosal joke? Or should I feel this went far in excess of a joke and tell them I don't care who did it - but the next one that puts their hand, unauthorized, in my safe will get the crap beat out of them!
Need Help.
Harry B.
Old January 3, 2006, 09:16 AM   #2
HSMITH

Dang Harry. From the outside looking in it is a little funny.

I don't think the relationship is there for a joke like this though, just because you aren't sure that you aren't steamed about it.

Maybe tell them that jokes like this don't really play out well for you and the next one in your safe is gonna get hurt.

Can you change combinations/locks/something to keep them out?
Old January 3, 2006, 09:38 AM   #3
Harry Bonar

funny

Shooters:
I guess it is a little funny - they don't have my combination - the safe was open, my fault.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Thanks Harry B.
Old January 3, 2006, 10:31 AM   #4
johnbt

Offer to store a gun or two for them sometime this year...and then 'forget' the combination.

John
Old January 3, 2006, 03:27 PM   #5
doubleD

Hey Harry,
My first thought is "if you are wondering....then it went too far." You said close relative, I might reconsider this "closeness" as they did not truly understand you. Finally, do not beat yourself up for having your safe unlocked, we should not have to lock our guns when our shooting friends are over! If we do then maybe we ought to reevaluate our relationship with those friends.
I like practical jokes, both ways, giving and receiving. However, there are "lines" which should not be crossed. And oh yes, I have crossed those lines before and had mine crossed as well, and had friendships in jeopardy because of it. We all have to learn, and I suggest you inform these of what they should learn from this one.
dd
Old January 3, 2006, 06:12 PM   #6
Nortonics

Good answer Harry! heh heh heh...
Old January 3, 2006, 11:01 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Reminds me a bit of the cop who was cruising along when he spotted a familiar looking car. It was his, stolen out of the police department parking lot. The thieves had a short joy ride.

Jim