The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 22, 2006, 02:28 AM   #1
squrm

cute little xploding bullets

I got some of those 'devastator' bullets at the last gunshow in 40S&W...now what should i shoot with them to have the most fun? Melons and fruit are at the top of the list but what else would be fun to shoot a (mildy?) explosive round at? Also, i heard that they were more of a novelty when they were in .22 but since moving up to larger calibers they were a little more effective, would anyone use them as self defense rounds?

If anyone can come up with some good cheap things for me to shoot, i'll try to take some pics and put them up.

Also, are fruit hard enough to detonate them? I thought i heard that it takes something pretty hard to do it...maybe put a small metal plate in the fruit? hmm...
Old February 22, 2006, 03:19 AM   #2
GlocksRfun

Self defense rounds.... hmmm.. that sounds like a lawsuit. fruit would be cool, water jugs, old stereo equipment,My Ford, neighbors shed.. old TV.. X-girlfriend...anything laying around that pissed u off for some reason.. Gotta get pics..
There may be some Legal issues with some of the above... use ur best judgment.
Old February 22, 2006, 11:49 AM   #3
squrm

ooooohhhh i got it...little propane tanks...only prob is having to be close enough to shoot with a pistol...may have to rethink this...
Old February 22, 2006, 12:00 PM   #4
stephen426

Slap a nice wad of tannerite in your melon to see some real fireworks. I'm really tempted to buy some but I don't have any place to blow it up. I'm pretty sure the indoor ranges don't like that kind of stuff and the only ourdoor ranges around here are pretty strict!
Old February 22, 2006, 12:04 PM   #5
squrm

True, but there's a couple of places in the boonies (there always are . I hate shooting at ranges now...It always seems too tense shooting in such proximity with other bumpkins...that and target shooting's kinda like taking a whizz...I don't like other people watchin.
Old February 23, 2006, 02:39 PM   #6
zeisloft

run down to your local hobby store and pick up a 25# block of potters clay, thats some good stuff to shoot.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old February 23, 2006, 04:45 PM   #7
kirkcdl

Tannerite won't explode with pistol rounds.However,it works fine with 308...