The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 6, 2005, 04:09 AM   #1
czc3513

Accidental Discharge!

OK
So I got a new gun today on my way to work. I wanted to get a HK but somehow I left with a gas operated 1911. It is high capacity and it is wider than a single stack 1911. It has a DA/SA trigger and a large magwell. It ALSO has an extended compensated barrel with an accessory rail. And it was on sale.
So I got to work and started playing with it. (I work alone.) I found that it was DA/SA and I loaded it. I then pulled the trigger with my thumb on the hammer and I found that I could lock the hammer back by pulling the DA trigger past a point. This put it in SA. I pulled the trigger to test the SA trigger pull and lowered the hammer with my thumb. Now it is in DA. I pulled the trigger to this point again to lock back the hammer again....
And it locked back again as it had before....
Then I had a brain fart.
I forgot that the safety was off and pulled the trigger....
If it were still in DA I would have had enough time to catch the hammer with my thumb.... But it was in SA. POP!
I was in shock and I did not move. "Crap!" I thaught before I went into denial. "didnt happen" Then I saw the the white swirls in the air above the barrel like cigarette smoke. "Crap!" I thaught again.
I knew that I would be in BIG trouble if I had damaged any of the expensive machinery in the building. I didnt move. I observed the direction that the gun was pointing. I looked as if it was pointing at a wall in the next room. This was the tankroom and its walls were lined with pipes and stuff. I set the gun down and searched the far wall for damage. I did not find any damage and I thanked god that it was only an airsoft gun.
Old December 6, 2005, 05:14 AM   #2
almark

"gas operated 1911"... niiiice.... I was wondering who the heck made a gas operated 1911...
Old December 6, 2005, 08:43 AM   #3
ozzy1038

[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] were you doing playing around like that with a loaded gun? Thank God you were by yourself. Good to hear you weren't hurt. I bet you never do that again.
Old December 6, 2005, 08:50 AM   #4
porkskin

we refer to this term as negligent discharge rather than accidental
Old December 6, 2005, 09:14 AM   #5
Mikeyboy

Playing with an airsoft gun work. You could have dimpled a sheetrock wall or something.
Old December 6, 2005, 09:19 AM   #6
DocFox

Accidental Discharge (AD):
An unexpected and undesirable discharge of a firearm caused by circumstances beyond the control of the participant(s) such as a mechanical failure or parts breakage. There are very, very few firearms related "accidents" and if the "4 Rules" are followed there will hopefully be no injury. See Negligent Discharge.

Negligent Discharge (ND)
The unplanned discharge of a firearm caused by a failure to observe the basic safety rules. See The 4 Rules. Firearms related injuries or property damage are almost 100% due to negligent discharges, not accidental discharges. See Accidental Discharge

AD is faulty equipment.... ND is a faulty brain
Old December 6, 2005, 10:03 AM   #7
StrikeEagle

This story really had me going!

Very well done!

StrikeEagle
Old December 6, 2005, 03:26 PM   #8
pdt1793db

I was going on that one I was like after that I bet he gets fired you got lucky in a way that it wasnt an actual gun. Good storie though.
Old December 6, 2005, 03:38 PM   #9
Avizpls

Quote:
gas operated 1911. It is high capacity and it is wider than a single stack 1911. It has a DA/SA trigger and a large magwell. It ALSO has an extended compensated barrel with an accessory rail.
...then its not even close to a 1911.

In anycase, glad you were'nt hurt, but....wow. Dont get a 1911 if you intend on the heavy trigger of a DA saving you.
Old December 6, 2005, 03:48 PM   #10
fisherman66

Gawsh...what were you thinking. You could've put someone's eye out. They should have a max age for airsoft. Adults just can't handle that much responsibility.

sheesh...If I were your kid, I'd give you a swift one to the backside.
Old December 6, 2005, 03:52 PM   #11
jlyn6573

guess the worlds full of em

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee tell me that you arent mentally capable of actually buying a real gun.......if you are I pray you live in a state like Illinois or California....at least we have some protection....oh btw theres a story you should read on here......called the rapper that killed himself with a pen gun.....you may see a resemblence.....
Old December 6, 2005, 03:55 PM   #12
fisherman66

I had an accidental discharge last night. Didn't hurt anyone though. Made quite a mess though.
Old December 6, 2005, 06:09 PM   #13
RsqVet

In the words of my grandfather --- If I can't trust you to behave with a cap gun how the hell will you ever handle a real one.

Um dude you need to not own guns if you are going ot monkey around like that --- I don't care that it was an air soft, it's still a gun and still a projectile --- quite frankly those things are starting to annoy me --- it's freacking identical to a gun and if we were in the street and that thing was pointed at me you would have been shot, my old house had tons of neighborhood kids running aroud with these things and despite many a talk with their parents they seemed to thnik it was fine for 15 year olds to be running around with gun look alikes in tactical holsters.
Old December 6, 2005, 06:56 PM   #14
kart racer

fisherman,you were just cleaning it and it went off I guess.
Old December 6, 2005, 07:22 PM   #15
fisherman66

I was oiling it.

No worries. I plan on having a vasectomy installed next year.
Old December 6, 2005, 07:24 PM   #16
Mannlicher

Cute story, but the bottom line is the same. A gun is a gun, and ND is still a ND.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 6, 2005, 08:07 PM   #17
czc3513

Quote:
Um dude you need to not own guns if you are going ot monkey around like that --- I don't care that it was an air soft, it's still a gun and still a projectile --- quite frankly those things are starting to annoy me --- it's freacking identical to a gun and if we were in the street and that thing was pointed at me you would have been shot, my old house had tons of neighborhood kids running aroud with these things and despite many a talk with their parents they seemed to thnik it was fine for 15 year olds to be running around with gun look alikes in tactical holsters.
Airsoft guns are toys.
They are capabe of inflicting serious damage to an eyeball but so can most pointy objects. This one is suppost to look like a 1911 but it is made of clear plastic. If you cant tell the difference between this airsoft gun and a real gun you need not own real guns.
Yes this was a Negligent Discharge (ND) but I treat my real guns with more respect.
Old December 6, 2005, 08:19 PM   #18
orionengnr

so, fisherman...

by definition, there was something wrong with your equipment??

Or was it your "handling practices"?
Old December 6, 2005, 08:28 PM   #19
fisherman66

Dry firing practice gone amuck
Old December 6, 2005, 11:06 PM   #20
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Closed for high noise and low signal.
Closed Thread