The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 8, 2005, 09:41 AM   #51
Olaf

I had a similar experience recently. There was a gentleman at the range, shooting a .300 Weatherby (perhaps a .30-378, I don't know)...with a definite flinch. The best he could manage was a few shots, inside a 3" circle, at 75 yards....with a several more well outside the circle....for a total of about ten shots...and a 7" group (approximately).

I had paid little attention, other than to ask him what he was shooting. He said something about being "all set" for his Mule Deer hunt....in Wyoming or Montana (I don't remember which).

When I arrived to pull down my targets...and put up my target stand (which is SOP at the range).... I decided to put up his stand (he had left it in place, ignoring the rules). That is when I first saw his target. I couldn't help but remark to the RSO that, if that was the best he could do with that cannon, he was NOT ready for Mule Deer....at normal shooting distances (very often, WELL over 200 yards)......

I am an average to pretty good shot....and I shot far better than he with my old Yugo M48...at 100 yards...with iron sights. But, you know, he is "all set" for his hunt. Perhaps he expects that the muzzle blast from that cannon will be enough to cause a clean kill...I don't know.

Use a magnum or don't use a magnum.... that is a personal choice - fine with me, either way. But please, at least be able to shoot the bloody thing well...and not be afraid of it... before you decide you are "all set".
Old November 8, 2005, 10:36 AM   #52
roy reali

Guided Hunts?

Now you know why hunting guides are less then thrilled when a client shows up all "set up" for the big hunt with his brand new super-duper magnum.
Old November 10, 2005, 01:34 PM   #53
Fish Head

The Evil Black Rifle!

OK, I just have to add gas to the fire. I use a .223 for deer hunting and have for 30+ years. To top it off it is one of those evil "Black Rifles" an AR-15. I have shot deer at 40 yards and at 250 yards. 95% of all the deer taken have been with one shot with the deer running no farther than 40 yards at the most. This whole argument (sorry discussion) really boils down to "can you shoot your gun" and shot placement.

All this said, if someone wants to use a cannon or a XXX super duper ultra mag ..... Go for it! And when someone tries to give you crap for it, and they will, just smile and say I like my rifle and I can hit what I aim at!

FH
Old November 10, 2005, 01:45 PM   #54
Windjammer

Quote:
This whole argument (sorry discussion) really boils down to "can you shoot your gun" and shot placement.
All this said, if someone wants to use a cannon or a XXX super duper ultra mag ..... Go for it!
I think this was the whole point of the discussion ( sorry or not ), that most ( not all) people who use "Cannons" can not shoot them very well.

I'm interested in why you think this is a sorry discussion?
Old November 27, 2005, 12:56 PM   #55
wvrifleman

can we send those newbies out after a fancy red ryder super duper ultra double magnum big bore elephant gun?
Old December 1, 2005, 08:15 PM   #56
FirstFreedom

Quote:
A 400 acre beanfield will present shots of 1000yds.
Or more. If, for example, it's a rectangular 1/2 mi by 1 mi 320 acre field, that could mean at least a 1760 yard shot; more if diagonal.